GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Hood on passenger side not latching securely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Hood on passenger side not latching securely

I happened to lean against the hood on the passenger side of our GLE and was surprised when it moved down a bit with very little pressure applied to it. At first I thought the hood wasn't latched but checked further and found that it was. Popped the hood and found that in addition to the center latch/lock, there are latches on both the passenger & driver sides which I'd never noticed before. Both of the side latches appear to work fine and can be locked when you push down on them. Tried opening & closing the hood several times and while the center & driver side of the hood are both very secure, there is constantly a little "play" on the passenger side even though it seems to be latching properly. I'm going to have the dealer look at it, but curious if anyone else has this issue. Hopefully it's a simple adjustment that just needs to be made.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Don't over react - if it bothers you the dealer (or their body shop) can easily make a adjustment -
Old 05-17-2020, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. Yes - the 3-Point securing of the front hood is a safety element across all Mercedes models - in a front end collision - the 3-latches hold the front edge of the hood more strongly than a single center latch - and the hood "crumples" with impact rather than coming back into the cabin like a horizonal guillotine.

The latched - and hood - are adjusted to give you secure latching - which is what you have - and equal and straight gaps in relation to the fenders on both sides.

2. See the door hinges on each door - which are "cast" pieces and not stamped steel like most other makers - open a door and put full weight on the top of the door pulling down - and see how it is firmly linked to the chassis - MB doors "don't sag sure - but more importantly they are integrally linked with the chassis.