GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Clear gloss caliper paint applied to brake calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E63S Wagon
Clear gloss caliper paint applied to brake calipers

Since my GLE 450 doesn't have painted calipers I thought I'd paint my "rough" calipers (which I think have a clear zinc coating from the factory) with clear gloss caliper paint in an effort to keep them looking half decent for years to come.

My car is fitted with the sports brakes option, so in the case of the photo of front caliper I still need to re-attach the pretty Mercedes cover plate.

Pretty pleased with the results:

Last edited by Spitfire63; 07-09-2020 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Painted calipers

Originally Posted by Spitfire63
Since my GLE 450 doesn't have painted calipers I thought I'd paint my "rough" calipers (which I think have a clear zinc coating from the factory) with clear gloss caliper paint in an effort to keep them looking half decent for years to come.

My car is fitted with the sports brakes option, so in the case of the photo of front caliper I still need to re-attach the pretty Mercedes cover plate.

Pretty pleased with the results:
Look good. These calipers are not nice enough to warrant a bright color paint, so I think staying with silver is the right choice. While these work fine for normal use, I still wish we had the option of the fixed caliper brakes like on the GLE 53 Coupe or GLE Euro Engineering Package.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Look good. These calipers are not nice enough to warrant a bright color paint, so I think staying with silver is the right ...
I agree. The other thing is that because I "dusted" them in place (with some careful masking of course) with clear coat I didn't have to be 100% perfect with my masking. In fact, if I'd applied colour I would have removed the calipers and done the job "properly". So VHT's clear gloss caliper paint was definitely the right way to go for me. I'm curious to know how these will look a year or two from now, and after a couple of nasty Canadian winters.