Motor Trend rankings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2020 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Poor ride quality

Originally Posted by Carszen
On the suspension, I think that Motor Trend's description of the suspension as "awful" is kind. How a manufacturer like MB could produce a product engineered like this is unimaginable. It is uniquely capable of simultaneously porposing, tramlining, and harshness to the point or trying to shake the car apart while sickening the passengers. Add to this the hard seats, hard center armrest, and hard door cards, and the cabin can be hateful place to spend time. And on concrete, the tire roar can sound like a jet engine is in the hatch. This is not a tire problem as I had the same Michelins on the vehicle I traded. This is a real shame as the package could otherwise be a real winner, especially at the price point. As much as I hate the financial punishment I will take, it will be gone from my garage before the end of the year.
Per Lucky777's post, do you have the third row option? If so, you likely have "run flat" tires, which have much stiffer sidewalls than normal, degrading ride quality.
The following users liked this post:
grivera116 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I take automotive publications vehicle rankings with a grain of salt. Most automotive journalists aren't engineers so I find their supposed "expertise" suspect at best. My view is buy for what your individual needs are and what works best for you.
Old 09-14-2020 | 03:17 PM

2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Per Lucky777's post, do you have the third row option? If so, you likely have "run flat" tires, which have much stiffer sidewalls than normal, degrading ride quality.
Nope, no third row and no run flats. Just some nice all season Michelins in a standard 19 inch size.

Just got back from the dealer where they unsuccessfully tried to reprogram the lane keeping assist to default to last setting. That was a waste of time. While waiting, I was able to drive a GLE53 and GLE450. The 53 was pretty great with the air suspension and Nappa interior. But should be for $25,000 more than my 350, and it was not even loaded. The 450 drove about the same as the 350, like someone said here, except for the extra smoothness of the engine/transmission. My general conclusion from the various responses here, which I greatly appreciate, is that the 350 is what it is. There isn't a defect, just the nature of the beast. There is a lot to like about it, but could/should be better in a number of ways. The good thing about cars is that nothing is forever and there is always some alternative albeit, with its own set of compromises.