GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 450 block heater?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 10:37 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
2020 GLE 450 block heater?

I have a car on order. I live in a cold climate in winter.
Dealer told me you don't need a block heater in this car and one doesn't look like it's available? Says Germany says you don't need one? It's got this 48 volt lithium battery starting generator and I'm concerned if it will wear our the battery trying to crank the engine. Dealer doesn't seem to know what the answer is?

What can I do as an alternative from other powers who have th same concerns?

Thank you for your opinions.

Toban
Old 11-06-2020, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Cold climate starting

Originally Posted by toban
Dealer told me you don't need a block heater in this car and one doesn't look like it's available? Says Germany says you don't need one? It's got this 48 volt lithium battery starting generator and I'm concerned if it will wear our the battery trying to crank the engine. Dealer doesn't seem to know what the answer is?

Toban
I don't have a direct answer for you, but I would not be concerned about wearing out the starter battery. The 48V system with integrated starter is a very robust system. Of course you need the right oil for your range of temps.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
GLC63S, A35 AMG
Originally Posted by toban

Toban
The M256 engine doesn’t have one listed as available. Honestly, so long as you have the correct grade of oil, I doubt very much that you’d need one. The lithium battery packs quite a punch for starting, gasoline doesn’t freeze or turn to gel until extremely cold temperatures, and the coolant won’t freeze so long as the mixture is right. Unless you’re expecting lower than minus 30 Celsius routinely, I wouldn’t worry at all. Minus 10 is common in the UK, and almost no cars have block heaters here.