GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Starter Battery-critical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 10:53 AM

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
Starter Battery-critical

Has anyone experienced that after running the radio for say 10 minutes, you get an app alert or dashboard alert that the starter battery is critical and you should recharge by driving 30 minutes? I asked dealer and they said it’s just an over abundance of caution alert ....not to worry ....battery is going to die whereby you can’t start engine.....thoughts?
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
Has anyone experienced that after running the radio for say 10 minutes, you get an app alert or dashboard alert that the starter battery is critical and you should recharge by driving 30 minutes? I asked dealer and they said it’s just an over abundance of caution alert ....not to worry ....battery is going to die whereby you can’t start engine.....thoughts?
I've been dealing with this issue on my 2020 GLE (purchased in March) since May of this year and while he dealer has been very cooperative is still unable to resolve the issue. They've replaced headlight modules, accelerator module, checked wiring throughout the vehicle, all without success. And on at least two occasions the vehicle has failed to start and I've had to drag out the jumper cables thus I'd dismiss what your dealer says that its nothing to worry about! After driving 200 highway miles, the message appears if the car is not driven for two days!!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Do you have a GLE 450 with the 48V charging generator?

Toban
Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
The only time I got that message I took it in and the Dealer ended up replacing the 12 volt battery. It wouldn’t hold a charge. They charged mine but fortunately they held it overnight and found the next morning that it was critical again.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
I am not getting any "in vehicle" alarms, but I have noticed that the app has shown the "Starter Battery Partially Charged" on several occasions. I am keeping an eye on it. If I get near the dealer I will ask them to check the charging system.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
I've sat in the car with the engine off/radio on several times now for > 30 mins while waiting for my wife to go shopping and never received the message. The radio turns off after 30 mins automatically btw. I have seen the "battery partially charged" message in the app if I happen to open the app but it's never sent an alert either.
The following users liked this post:
user 7208224 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Just this morning I was waiting for my wife at an appointment and I sat for easily over an hr. The system would shut off after 30m, I just turned on the ignition and I was good for another 30m. Never received any low battery alerts and started right up when we were ready to head home.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE350
"Starter Battery Critical" issue possible fix

Have a 2020 GLE350 which I purchased late 2022 (a little rant : I went from a 2014 ML350 which we really loved and I now that I've had the GLE350 for a few months, I wouldn't buy a GLE350 again. I don't think in looks, sound, performance, or interior feel it lives up to the MB standard of luxury etc. but I digress.)

Started getting "starter battery critical" message more and more to a point where one day while driving it said to pull over and let the car run for a while. Most of our trips are 30 minutes or less so I thought it was that. Took it to my guy who has been working on my cars for 10 years and he said its around an $700-$800 battery replacement (since its under the seat ) and the charge was only at 50%....

After a lot of thinking on when all the messages started and any correlation to what we do and how we drive, I realized it seemed to be happening with one set of our keys were present and left in the vehicle. We always leave a set of keys in the car when we park it in our garage. I switched keys and stopped using key2 which I suspected was the culprit - and I'd say for the past month we have not gotten the message even when leaving key1 in the car overnight in the garage (initially during this test we totally stopped leaving any keys in the car and after two weeks of not getting the message started to leave key1 overnight). I still have not done enough research or have discussions as to why key2 may cause this, but I do know this car has a ton of electronics so my guess is that if key2 is the cause as I suspect, it must be keeping some system (that would normally got to sleep) ready to go overnight and continually draining the battery while parked overnight or for more than a day. As I find more info, I'll post here.

If anyone has thoughts or feedback would appreciate in advance.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by NCGLE350
Have a 2020 GLE350 which I purchased late 2022 (a little rant : I went from a 2014 ML350 which we really loved and I now that I've had the GLE350 for a few months, I wouldn't buy a GLE350 again. I don't think in looks, sound, performance, or interior feel it lives up to the MB standard of luxury etc. but I digress.)

Started getting "starter battery critical" message more and more to a point where one day while driving it said to pull over and let the car run for a while. Most of our trips are 30 minutes or less so I thought it was that. Took it to my guy who has been working on my cars for 10 years and he said its around an $700-$800 battery replacement (since its under the seat ) and the charge was only at 50%....

After a lot of thinking on when all the messages started and any correlation to what we do and how we drive, I realized it seemed to be happening with one set of our keys were present and left in the vehicle. We always leave a set of keys in the car when we park it in our garage. I switched keys and stopped using key2 which I suspected was the culprit - and I'd say for the past month we have not gotten the message even when leaving key1 in the car overnight in the garage (initially during this test we totally stopped leaving any keys in the car and after two weeks of not getting the message started to leave key1 overnight). I still have not done enough research or have discussions as to why key2 may cause this, but I do know this car has a ton of electronics so my guess is that if key2 is the cause as I suspect, it must be keeping some system (that would normally got to sleep) ready to go overnight and continually draining the battery while parked overnight or for more than a day. As I find more info, I'll post here.

If anyone has thoughts or feedback would appreciate in advance.
Interesting that 350s are potentially having this issue, as well as 450s. Not sure why you would leave a key in the car (risky), but that's beside the point. We never leave a key in the car and are dealing with this repeatedly, even though we drive at least 3-4 times a week 25 miles at a time (plus shorter trips).