GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Cracks in MB Tex leather at 9,0xx miles!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 07:06 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
I tell my kids they are NOT allowed to become dr's or lawyers.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 985 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I tell my kids they are NOT allowed to become dr's or lawyers.
Those schools are pricey, can be tough returns.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by places
Those schools are pricey, can be tough returns.
Spend some time reading the personal finance sites and you will see plenty of people in these professions posting about their substantial student loans. Seems like the loan sharks have infested the waters of higher education. Unfortunately.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
I had an almost identical rip on the MBTex in my C300 a few years ago. The dealer replaced the entire seat cover under warranty.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
Spend some time reading the personal finance sites and you will see plenty of people in these professions posting about their substantial student loans. Seems like the loan sharks have infested the waters of higher education. Unfortunately.
100%, they've basically become unsecured mortgages carried until they're paid off which is usually much later in life.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Nope, Biden is going to cancel Student Loan Debt as well as cure cancer and provide a fountain of youth....
BACnMercedes (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Nope, Biden is going to cancel Student Loan Debt as well as cure cancer and provide a fountain of youth....
Only after they wake him up from one of his many naps to remind hime where he is.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
audi40 (01-05-2021), hyperion667 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,312 Likes on 2,054 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Let's get this thread back on topic...

It doesn't matter if a car is leased or owned, the material quality is either there or it is not. It's also more important on a lease; if this turns into actual larger rip over the next couple of years, the OP could be responsible for the damage if beyond normal wear and tear.
To me, neither pics show significant stress or surface damage and looks like a material issue that is covered by warranty. Not the first time on the 2020 GLE's which have struggled with poor vendor quality of its MB-Tex interiors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
AEsco48 (01-04-2021), swcarteriii (09-22-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Feel free to close the topic. I just wanted to figure out if this was a relatively common issue.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Let's get this thread back on topic...

It doesn't matter if a car is leased or owned, the material quality is either there or it is not. It's also more important on a lease; if this turns into actual larger rip over the next couple of years, the OP could be responsible for the damage if beyond normal wear and tear.
To me, neither pics show significant stress or surface damage and looks like a material issue that is covered by warranty. Not the first time on the 2020 GLE's which have struggled with poor vendor quality of its MB-Tex interiors.
This isn't the only poor quality component on the newest generation of MB's. And don't be so quick to blame the vendors. MB is no longer a quality car manufacturer- they have sold out their heritage for the almighty dollar (euro). They are maximizing profits by sourcing cheap materials from the lowest bidders from all over the world. And they just don't care- not about their customers, not about their brand, not about those who are employed by the dealerships. Customers are still caught up in the old mystique of the star and targeted advertising.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
places (01-04-2021), swcarteriii (09-22-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
This isn't the only poor quality component on the newest generation of MB's. And don't be so quick to blame the vendors. MB is no longer a quality car manufacturer- they have sold out their heritage for the almighty dollar (euro). They are maximizing profits by sourcing cheap materials from the lowest bidders from all over the world. And they just don't care- not about their customers, not about their brand, not about those who are employed by the dealerships. Customers are still caught up in the old mystique of the star and targeted advertising.
I don't buy into that. I think there is a certain nostalgia about the old cars but Mercedes had crap quality in the past as well. The quality today is actually miles above MB's of 20 years ago.
While I don't care for the ML/GLE models they have been some of the most trouble-free cars we have had; just fuel/maintain and go...

In regards to the V167 GLE's, Mercedes had significant issues with interiors and bumpers, etc. almost all of which were vendor related if memory serves. They had to refit thousands of cars in the US and Germany. This was a US vendor AFAIK . Similar issue with the news GLS as well.
Vendor problems do exist and that has nothing to do with being cheap or making cars cheaper.

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-04-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I don't buy into that. I think there is a certain nostalgia about the old cars but Mercedes had crap quality in the past as well. The quality today is actually miles above MB's of 20 years ago.
While I don't care for the ML/GLE models they have been some of the most trouble-free cars we have had; just fuel/maintain and go...

In regards to the V167 GLE's, Mercedes had significant issues with interiors and bumpers, etc. almost all of which were vendor related if memory serves. They had to refit thousands of cars in the US and Germany. This was a US vendor AFAIK
Vendor problems do exist and that has nothing to do with being cheap or making cars cheaper.
Ignorance is bliss as they say, so I don't hold it against you. 😁 MB quality has been at an all time low since about 2014. Ask anyone who works on or sells them that's willing to speak the truth. The move of MBUSA HQ from NJ to Atlanta was the first shot fired with thousands of legacy employees fired and replaced for half of two thirds of what those positions used to pay. Have you forgotten about the CLA? That was the 2nd shot. They were supposed to sell 100k cars a year, but the project bombed and they cycled them through the loaner fleets to save face. The sister car, the Chrysler 200/ Dodge Dart was cancelled, because there was no German arrogance to protect. Smart cars were absolute trash, nobody would buy them so Daimler crafted a shell corporation to sell them to themselves and then liquidate to artificially boost their sales numbers. Dealerships have been flooded for 5 years with recalls, more lemon law/buybacks than ever, immense amounts of warranty work, 1st time MB buyers swearing to make it their last time. C-class engine failure, sunroof failures, trim delaminating, rattle noises. How about the death of the E-class? Have you not been reading the last few years about Daimler's billion dollar cost cutting plans? I'm simply saying with vendors, is you get what you pay for. I'm not sure what you are currently driving but the sweet spot was around 2007-2013. The currently product quality is far below that of 20 years ago, and yes there were quality problems then. Most of those cars are still on the road, you wont see a CLA or 205 C-class on the road in 20 years, that's for sure. Give me a 2003 C230 Sport Coupe over a 2014+ CLA250, any day. Sorry I've taken this thread wayyyy off track now.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 02-15-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ignorance is bliss as they say, but you don't have the view from the inside like I do, so I don't hold it against you. 😁 MB quality has been at an all time low since about 2014. Ask anyone who works on or sells them that's willing to speak the truth. The move of MBUSA HQ from NJ to Atlanta was the first shot fired with thousands of legacy employees fired and replaced for half of two thirds of what those positions used to pay. Have you forgotten about the CLA? That was the 2nd shot. They were supposed to sell 100k cars a year, but the project bombed and they cycled them through the loaner fleets to save face. The sister car, the Chrysler 200/ Dodge Dart was cancelled, because there was no German arrogance to protect. Smart cars were absolute trash, nobody would buy them so Daimler crafted a shell corporation to sell them to themselves and then liquidate to artificially boost their sales numbers. Dealerships have been flooded for 5 years with recalls, more lemon law/buybacks than ever, immense amounts of warranty work, 1st time MB buyers swearing to make it their last time. C-class engine failure, sunroof failures, trim delaminating, rattle noises. How about the death of the E-class? Have you not been reading the last few years about Daimler's billion dollar cost cutting plans? I'm simply saying with vendors, is you get what you pay for. I'm not sure what you are currently driving but the sweet spot was around 2007-2013. The currently product quality is far below that of 20 years ago, and yes there were quality problems then. Most of those cars are still on the road, you wont see a CLA or 205 C-class on the road in 20 years, that's for sure. Give me a 2003 C230 Sport Coupe over a 2014+ CLA250, any day. Sorry I've taken this thread wayyyy off track now.
Not sure what your particular insights are but I simply look at the cars we have for the last few decades and countless other MB's that we have rented and pushed hard in Germany.
Had every S-Class they made since the W126 (actually had even an old W116 which we restored) and every SL from the R129. First SUV was a 2000 ML320. Last was 2018 E63s and 2017 SL550. Now we have a AMG GTC roadster and a V167 GLE350...

You mention cars that I don't consider but the my experience is literally the direct opposite. 2000-2007 was the worst period when it came to quality and warranty claims. 2007 to 2013 were better but still well below 2014 but am sure that may vary by model. I do have some insights due to family connections to MB Germany but most of that is strategic...
Pre-2000 cars had their issues as well but one of the reasons a lot of these older cars still run is they were stupid simple with less options and very little tech (by today's standards).

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-04-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Ron.s (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I went for more popcorn and missed a lot.
hyperion667 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I would guess that a mechanic will see the problem cars but not all the good ones. Same with a Forum....how many people start a thread on how they love their Mercedes vs a few that make it their mission to run down the car because they had a problem. The truth is that no individual has all the facts but we all have opinions. If you don’t have a good Dealer then you may not have a good experience when something fails.
IMO, the Mercedes is about as complicated as any production car and as volume increases so do quality control issues. All manufacturers, in any industry are constantly looking for cost savings, better efficiency and when they stop being competitive they won’t be around long. Having entry level cars can build loyalty and as incomes increase then so might the buyer increase the amount they can spend for a car. Most Luxury or Specialized Auto Companies without a lower tier of vehicles have failed to survive for the most part or are now a division of a larger company so why do some keep harping on degrading the brand with lower tier cars? If someone is unhappy with a product then make a change and hope the “grass is really greener”.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ron.s:
places (01-04-2021), TempeAndy (01-06-2021), Timmay (03-24-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Folks, all carmakers blame most publicly visible problems on vendors. I have decades of first hand experience in the industry. If it's on the road, the carmaker is responsible. Cracked MB-Tex is Mercedes' failure, not the vendor's. MB has full ownership of all aspects of the vehicle, without exception. This is the case for all vehicles and carmakers.

Last edited by chassis; 01-05-2021 at 10:07 PM.
marchgroupinc (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chassis
Folks, all carmakers blame most publicly visible problems on vendors. I have decades first hand experience in the industry. If it's on the road, the carmaker is responsible. Cracked MB-Tex is Mercedes' failure, not the vendor's. MB has full ownership of all aspects of the vehicle, without exception. This is the case for all vehicles and carmakers.
I don't think Mercedes ever blamed a vendor publicly, so no issue here. They take ownership and should cover this without discussion. I brought up the vendor here since it was such a pervasive issue which impacted the launch of both the GLE and GLS...

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-05-2021 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I would guess that a mechanic will see the problem cars but not all the good ones. Same with a Forum....how many people start a thread on how they love their Mercedes vs a few that make it their mission to run down the car because they had a problem. The truth is that no individual has all the facts but we all have opinions. If you don’t have a good Dealer then you may not have a good experience when something fails.
IMO, the Mercedes is about as complicated as any production car and as volume increases so do quality control issues. All manufacturers, in any industry are constantly looking for cost savings, better efficiency and when they stop being competitive they won’t be around long. Having entry level cars can build loyalty and as incomes increase then so might the buyer increase the amount they can spend for a car. Most Luxury or Specialized Auto Companies without a lower tier of vehicles have failed to survive for the most part or are now a division of a larger company so why do some keep harping on degrading the brand with lower tier cars? If someone is unhappy with a product then make a change and hope the “grass is really greener”.
Agreed, however Mercedes (and others) is no longer an automobile company exclusive to luxury. In an effort to survive, remain relevant, and have a future they need to, as you stated produce, market, and sell more entry and mid level in order to establish future loyalty and simply sell product. This however dilutes a luxury brand quickly, what we have now is an automobile company (MB is not alone) that builds cars for all segments as well as luxury cars in the separate and higher lines. These automobile makers are cashing in on the prestige of past exclusivity (which no longer exists) while delivering average vehicles. There is nothing luxurious about MB tex, it's a great product (aside from "vendor" issues perhaps an industry best) but doesn't belong in an 75K vehicle marketed under luxury as an option. Luxury brands either level up or level down during times of change, in the case of autos leveling down is the only viable option and that comes with its own set of issues. Luxury is one of the most overused words in the automotive industry and yet most are a far cry from.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:42 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'd say there is a certain illusion to the notion of luxury.......MB is counting on folks shopping with emotion and vanity as well to sell their expensive cars. This of course is only speculation because who REALLY knows what the hell is going on in this world
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
E55Greasemonkey (01-05-2021), places (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ignorance is bliss as they say, ........
As the rest of your post demonstrates.
Example - The "cost-cutting" you outline has resulted in improved chassis builds, class-leading engines, class-leading safety, and industry dominance.

Also, it appears that you're somewhat out of touch with other manufacturers and their similar problems.

But this is typical of mechanics who spend their time working on the broken examples - not on the non-broken cars. Go to ANY dealer and find the place designated for mechanics to park their personal cars. They invariably drive competitors' cars.

In addition to experiencing the problem cars in the shop, an unfortunate problem with Factory Training for technicians is that there is invariably one Macho trainer who thinks he will show just how superior he is, by badmouthing the brand. (Yes I am factory trained on several Euro makes, although not Mercedes.)
What we see above is the Parroting of that experience on this forum, but with little real insight into the subject. Locker room talk.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
This reminds me of an old friend and Mustang fanatic who went to work at a Chevy/Olds dealership. His logic? Chevy's need more work and so it's better for longevity on the job.

I am not saying he was right or wrong. It's just his perception.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dave Stough:
hyperion667 (01-05-2021), mikapen (01-05-2021), TempeAndy (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by places
In an effort to survive, remain relevant, and have a future they need to, as you stated produce, market, and sell more entry and mid level in order to establish future loyalty and simply sell product.
I’ve been arguing this for awhile now too. Go drive through a dealership and it’s loaded with these small B and A class cars. Meanwhile they lose, or about to lose, the people that have already supported them, like myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
E55Greasemonkey (01-05-2021), places (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
It's a shame that a part of the M-B Community has become so elitist that they disparage people who would like to drive a nice car but can't afford the more expensive offerings. Maybe there's value in the features, look and feel of a Mercedes that goes beyond writing big checks.
Why discourage people shopping for <$40k cars from having a new one with full factory warranty and dealership support?

I suggest that those who are offended that M-B is competing with "lesser" brands, perhaps buy a Bentley and go smugly about their business. THAT will certainly teach Mercedes a lesson! Take That, Mercedes!!!
The following 6 users liked this post by mikapen:
hyperion667 (01-05-2021), jtjbt20x (01-05-2021), Lucky 777 (01-05-2021), SEPicks (01-06-2021), Timmay (03-24-2021), WindInMyHair (05-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding MB-Tex, much of Europe prefers it over Leather because of animal friendly values. And will pay a premium if no animal was harmed.
I agree that MB-Tex is among the best of the plastic interiors, but I prefer a good hide next to me. Or maybe fabric.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 356 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I actually much prefer the MB-Tex in the current model to the “textured leather”... for me, I would either got base or get the exclusive nappa. The leather is pretty bad feeling imo and has lots of wear issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cracks in MB Tex leather at 9,0xx miles!?!