Dealer Recommendations in the South

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 01:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Have you seen the SQ7 and SQ8 @tomb73 ?
Have seen them on the road, just have not gotten to a dealership to investigate them in person... Am kinda fixated on a V8 at this point (probably silly, but...) and I think the engines in the SQ7/8 are relatively similar to my current 2018 SQ5 (but have not probed deeply into it). My quick current SQ5 (2018) has the Turbo V6, but still sounds and feels like it is working really hard to enter a freeway or pass at speed. Picky of me, but I 'settled' for the SQ5 V6 and am reminded about it every time I drive. Of course, am not really in the financial situation to be looking at the REALLY good V8's... To be fair, the SQ5 is quick and fun to drive around town (though I keep making excited squirrel comparisons when I need some of that quickness...). Not impossible that I'll settle for one of those excellent turbo V6's again, but can just barely afford either the GLE580 or the X5 m50i, so that is what I am looking at. The Audis don't seem to be in a price range I can afford for something as quick as my current 2018 SQ5, and am moving away from the Audi primarily because of our dislike of the seats. Though we are also interested in something a bit larger for our extended road trips. Perhaps they have changed the seats in the Audis again. If we had the seats from our 2014 SQ5 this would be moot.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Both are V8s with 500hp and 568 torque. Each is faster than the 580 but not the 63.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
Thanks, BACnMercedes. Had not specced out the SQ's as I kinda blame the sport seats for my current incentive to change. Will have to go take a look. But looking at the configurator, I don't see ventilated seats as an option in the base model, and Prestige starts at $92K. About $10K more than my configured GLE580. However, will have to check them out and do the 'seat test'. If the sport seats in the 2021's are the same as my 2018, which we think are too firm and get uncomfortable on road trips, then that would eliminate the Audi.

Appreciate the pointer, was looking at the regular Q7's.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by tomb73
Thanks, BACnMercedes. Had not specced out the SQ's as I kinda blame the sport seats for my current incentive to change. Will have to go take a look. But looking at the configurator, I don't see ventilated seats as an option in the base model, and Prestige starts at $92K. About $10K more than my configured GLE580. However, will have to check them out and do the 'seat test'. If the sport seats in the 2021's are the same as my 2018, which we think are too firm and get uncomfortable on road trips, then that would eliminate the Audi.
The deeper lower side bolsters on the SQ5 have been improved on the SQ8...haven’t sat in a 7. The seats are different in other ways too. Audi doesn’t have the smooth throttle that you find with the Mercedes EQ Boost and they are more expensive but come standard with all wheel steer, torque vectoring. It’s comparing Apples to Oranges in some ways. From your comments...you need the 580 not an X5 or SQ7/8 but comparing them is the only way to know for sure. Initially I thought I wanted an X5 but after a couple of test drives and sitting in one looking at the Tech & features, I changed my mind and it fell to the bottom of my list. I usually go back several times to look at a vehicle because the first trip it seems like the looks and power overshadow the comfort, ergonomics, tech and convenience that may be more important long term. Good luck...at these prices we don’t want any buyers remorse.
Edit-try a small lumbar pillow in your SQ5...worked wonders for me.

Last edited by Ron.s; 01-12-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Have you seen the SQ7 and SQ8 @tomb73 ?
Although I'm not a syndicated reviewer, see my yesterday's impression after re-driving the SQ7/8. FWIW, IMO, YMMV
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8245775
Old 01-12-2021, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I maybe getting old but I still don’t know what “YMMV” is.
I do agree that the MB is a more refined car and that’s what I want. If I wanted sporty, insert SQ7, I should have went for the GLE53. I am trying my best to hold out but MB is making it hard. Another thing that I keep thinking about now is what is the quality coming out of Alabama right now. Anyone having seat problems? Rotors? And I’m too scared to read the thread devoted to all the problems because I remember them all and look for everyone once my car, I mean if my car gets here. Apparently we, the U.S. is having trouble getting people to show up for work regularly. So, wouldn’t that possibly affect quality.....
Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I maybe getting old but I still don’t know what “YMMV” is.
I do agree that the MB is a more refined car and that’s what I want. If I wanted sporty, insert SQ7, I should have went for the GLE53. I am trying my best to hold out but MB is making it hard. Another thing that I keep thinking about now is what is the quality coming out of Alabama right now. Anyone having seat problems? Rotors? And I’m too scared to read the thread devoted to all the problems because I remember them all and look for everyone once my car, I mean if my car gets here. Apparently we, the U.S. is having trouble getting people to show up for work regularly. So, wouldn’t that possibly affect quality.....
Join the crowd...Google says...your mileage may vary... I think it’s used in the context that your opinion my be different. Isn’t it great how we are constantly challenged to learn new things
Old 01-12-2021, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ya, it seems like Moore's Law should have included "twice as many learning curves," along with doubling chip density and computer speeds.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tomb73

I went back and read this again. How are you equipping your 580? By the time I get some of the same options on my 580, I’m close in price. The SQ7s I like are about the same price and really all I was missing was the laser lights (those seem hard to find) but gained a bigger engine and 4 wheel steer.
Plus anything something I do Iike about Audi that someone else pointed out somewhere on here is that there is not a dizzying array of options (but not as bad as Porsche). For example, it is easier for me to find an Audi very close to a build I want than a GLE because there are just so many different options to add.

And what is it about seats in these cars? Both MB and Audi. It seems both have problems here. Either uncomfortable or pathetic workmanship.

On a side note, mine has now changed back to, “ready to ship to dealer.”
Old 01-13-2021, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went back and read this again. How are you equipping your 580? By the time I get some of the same options on my 580, I’m close in price. The SQ7s I like are about the same price and really all I was missing was the laser lights (those seem hard to find) but gained a bigger engine and 4 wheel steer.
Plus anything something I do Iike about Audi that someone else pointed out somewhere on here is that there is not a dizzying array of options (but not as bad as Porsche). For example, it is easier for me to find an Audi very close to a build I want than a GLE because there are just so many different options to add.

And what is it about seats in these cars? Both MB and Audi. It seems both have problems here. Either uncomfortable or pathetic workmanship.

On a side note, mine has now changed back to, “ready to ship to dealer.”
Dangling the carrot🥕 to keep you interested. Kidding, you aren’t far away so will get it soon.
The following users liked this post:
BACnMercedes (01-13-2021)