GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Garage Door Opener Range Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Garage Door Opener Range Issue

We have a new 2021 GLE 450 and love it. No issues so far (although we haven't used a full tank of gas yet), except the range on the garage door opener. We have two gates before getting to the garage door. Using the built-in opener for the gates, the range seems fine. But when we use the opener for the garage door, we have to pull the front of the car very close to the door before it will activate. These are not rolling code systems, they are the old pin type. Our other two cars that have built-in openers do not have this range issue, although neither of them are as good as the handheld remotes. No LED bulb in the opener. The garage door is hurricane-rated, so it is pretty thick steel, but every other opener seems to have decent range except for the new GLE. Any thoughts? First world problem I know having to wait a few more seconds for the door to open.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
When the door is up, do you have to be that close to close it? If not, that may be a point to start investigating. I have a coated steel door and my Liftmaster opener activates from over 100 yards away.
The following users liked this post:
earlvolfan (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,023 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Both of my Mercedes GLE openers have great range. Our Audi not quite as good of range but OK with 1& 2 but 3 is very short that I use for a gate code. I have to be so close to the gate it barely clears when opening.
My point is that you probably have a bad opener, but the door might be a factor. If it were me I would start by clearing the codes by holding 1 & 3 down until it flashes yellow (as I recall) and then program it again. My new GLE 53 was hard to program and it quit working after 4 days. I cleared it and did it agin & all is well. Next I would try number 2 & then take it to the Dealer to ask for a replacement. Since the Dealer can’t test it I would record the tests with your phone.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I haven’t used the MB garage openers in years on any of my MBs. For me they continuously dropped codes. I just found it much easier to just use the door manufacturers remote and clip it to the visor.
Good luck
Old 01-10-2021, 08:34 AM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
When the door is up, do you have to be that close to close it? If not, that may be a point to start investigating. I have a coated steel door and my Liftmaster opener activates from over 100 yards away.
Thanks, will try this. It would help me know whether the door is contributing. I also need to see if I can upgrade the antenna on the receiver.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:36 AM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Both of my Mercedes GLE openers have great range. Our Audi not quite as good of range but OK with 1& 2 but 3 is very short that I use for a gate code. I have to be so close to the gate it barely clears when opening.
My point is that you probably have a bad opener, but the door might be a factor. If it were me I would start by clearing the codes by holding 1 & 3 down until it flashes yellow (as I recall) and then program it again. My new GLE 53 was hard to program and it quit working after 4 days. I cleared it and did it agin & all is well. Next I would try number 2 & then take it to the Dealer to ask for a replacement. Since the Dealer can’t test it I would record the tests with your phone.
I will try clearing the codes. It is odd that the door has bad range but the gates do not.
mikapen (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I haven’t used the MB garage openers in years on any of my MBs. For me they continuously dropped codes. I just found it much easier to just use the door manufacturers remote and clip it to the visor.
Good luck
Interesting....My 450 worked for 18 months-no problem. Another thing that can cause these to malfunction is the inside garage door opener itself. If my memory is right there is only the ability to store 10 codes. If you have two remotes and an external keypad you used 3. Now program a few cars and it’s easy to hit that limit of 10. Adding the 11th one might take but drop later. I had that happen a few years ago and had to clear the memory on my inside garage door opener and start over. Next I had to clear the Homelink in my cars and reprogram them to the opener again.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarkerVB
I will try clearing the codes. It is odd that the door has bad range but the gates do not.
I think it’s my car that has a weak signal on #3 because the gate opens from a distance with our Mercedes or a handheld opener. Is there a chance that your inside opener has been programmed for 10 devices over the years? See my previous post.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:25 PM
Banned

2020 GLE 350
I think it’s my car that has a weak signal on #3 because the gate opens from a distance with our Mercedes or a handheld opener. Is there a chance that your inside opener has been programmed for 10 devices over the years? See my previous post.
I really think that there is only one transmitter in the HomeLink device in the vehicle and that it simply transmits a different code for each opener. The button selects the appropriate code. That would be the simplest way to implement things. Three independent transmitters increase costs. Anyone know for sure?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really think that there is only one transmitter in the HomeLink device in the vehicle and that it simply transmits a different code for each opener. The button selects the appropriate code. That would be the simplest way to implement things. Three independent transmitters increase costs. Anyone know for sure?
That makes sense but there is at least a 100’ range difference in our Audi on #3. At our vacation home #2 opens the garage door through a Stucco wall at least 100’ away as it does at home on #1. Two previously owned vehicles and the hand opener worked a lot farther away for the gate but there might be another explanation like a weak contact on that button.
I just flunked garage door openers on my new Mercedes because mine dropped the door code again for the second time this AM. The manual refers to a final step of hitting the pairing button on the garage unit that I didn’t do. I’ve always been able to bypass that step by pressing the button in the car 2 times. BACnMercedes I feel your pain😢
Old 01-10-2021, 10:54 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
I soldered a piece of wire to the antenna and have it sticking outside in the soffit. Not the best but at least it will open before i’m on drive way.

Fyi: You should zip tie the quick release because thieves can gain access to emergency rope with coat hanger.
F18BEN (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2022 X5 M50i
Many garage door receivers have a 'security' mechanism to only work for extremely short distance (usually just within inside a garage) if you cloned the signal to another device. On the garage door receiver, there should be a couple of buttons you need to press before linking the new device to make it authorized. See the door receiver manual for your model, it should be pretty straightforward.

I had a similar issue with my last new car.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:22 AM
Banned

2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by nmsu1999
See the door receiver manual for your model, it should be pretty straightforward.
Go to the HomeLink web site and enter your specific opener info. You will then be able to print out specific instructions for your vehicle and opener.
mikapen (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 07:31 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,836 Posts
2012 CLS63
My, your life must be really tough
Old 01-11-2021, 07:38 AM

2021 GLE 450
The range is better with the garage door open, so that has something to do with it. The gate receiver antennas are out in the open. I have the acoustic package, which has a radiation shield in the glass. Two small areas of the windshield are left open for things like toll passes. One is just to the right of the rear view mirror. I put a stick-on toll pass that is about 2 X 3 in that spot. I'm wondering if that is impeding the garage transmitter signal, and the heavy steel door compounds the problem. The openers are the old pin style, not the rolling code type, so the code is fixed. At some point I will investigate improving the antenna inside the garage.
TwinCam (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
The range is better with the garage door open, so that has something to do with it.
Hmmmm I was going to point out to replace the battery on the original remote. I had this issue way back when with different HomeLink'ed cars, and it was resolved by replacing the battery. But seems like you had a different issue.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:08 PM
Banned

2020 GLE 350
The range is better with the garage door open, so that has something to do with it. The gate receiver antennas are out in the open. I have the acoustic package, which has a radiation shield in the glass. Two small areas of the windshield are left open for things like toll passes. One is just to the right of the rear view mirror. I put a stick-on toll pass that is about 2 X 3 in that spot. I'm wondering if that is impeding the garage transmitter signal, and the heavy steel door compounds the problem. The openers are the old pin style, not the rolling code type, so the code is fixed. At some point I will investigate improving the antenna inside the garage.
Since you have an "old" style opener control you might consider one of these: https://www.liftmaster.com/850lm-uni...y-2-0/p/G850LM. It is a rolling code three channel receiver that can be purchased for around $50-60. You can place the receiver close to the front of your garage and run small wire to the terminals that your wall buttons connect to. There are other versions out there also.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting....My 450 worked for 18 months-no problem. Another thing that can cause these to malfunction is the inside garage door opener itself. If my memory is right there is only the ability to store 10 codes. If you have two remotes and an external keypad you used 3. Now program a few cars and it’s easy to hit that limit of 10. Adding the 11th one might take but drop later. I had that happen a few years ago and had to clear the memory on my inside garage door opener and start over. Next I had to clear the Homelink in my cars and reprogram them to the opener again.
Part of the problem might also be my wife hitting the buttons over and over repeatedly if it doesn’t work immediately when she pushes it. So after programming pains from that, short reception, and a pain climbing up and down a ladder, I just stuck with the manufacturer’s remote. They seem to never drop a code no matter how destructive and impatient my wife gets.
If anyone tells her that I blame her, I’ll deny it.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
Fyi: You should zip tie the quick release because thieves can gain access to emergency rope with coat hanger.
I must suck at being a thief then because I’ve failed at this multiple times doing welfare checks. It’s not easy.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:19 PM

2021 GLE 450
Since you have an "old" style opener control you might consider one of these: https://www.liftmaster.com/850lm-uni...y-2-0/p/G850LM. It is a rolling code three channel receiver that can be purchased for around $50-60. You can place the receiver close to the front of your garage and run small wire to the terminals that your wall buttons connect to. There are other versions out there also.
Thanks, I will look into that, but part of the issue is that the opener also needs to be operable using the building's ProxKey system. This is one of those fob-based systems that allows access based on certain configurations. For example, to get in the building, make the elevator go to your floor, open/close the garage door. There are seven garages in our building. Maintenance has a for that opens the three of them that have air conditioning units shared by other garages so that when the AC service company comes they get access to all at once. Not sure how this would tie in. When I get more time, I think I'm going to try to move the toll pass that I suspect is part of the problem.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Banned

2020 GLE 350
Thanks, I will look into that, but part of the issue is that the opener also needs to be operable using the building's ProxKey system. This is one of those fob-based systems that allows access based on certain configurations. For example, to get in the building, make the elevator go to your floor, open/close the garage door. There are seven garages in our building. Maintenance has a for that opens the three of them that have air conditioning units shared by other garages so that when the AC service company comes they get access to all at once. Not sure how this would tie in. When I get more time, I think I'm going to try to move the toll pass that I suspect is part of the problem.
Try removing the toll pass device and see what happens. You still have the option of using a device like I showed and keep the option for your maintenance people. You simply connect the wires as I stated and only use one of your vehicle HomeLink buttons to operate your door. It's just an option if all else fails. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,157 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
When we replaced our garage door opener with a new Craftsman (appears t be a re-branded Liftmaster, or visa versa), I called Craftsman and they sent me a free receiver adaptor. I'd call the manufacturer and ask their engineers about your problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
BACnMercedes (01-13-2021), user 7208224 (01-12-2021)
Old 09-22-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLE 350
2021 GLE 350.

Hey guys, does this work in Canada. I tried to link it up but the voice assistant indicates it isn’t available in your country but in the e-mail it indicates it works in the US and Canada ?? And is it just select models ?? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gla 2019
Sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating situation with your garage door opener's range.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
If I remember right, MB also provides a service to come out and pair your garage opener to your vehicle. As you service manager about it. I remember having difficulty pairing the Mrs. E 350 to the door opener and my Service advisor said they have a service that can come out to my home...
In the end I ended up Clearing the codes and reprogramming for each vehicle. on my 2020 GLE it was easier.

Last edited by FireRx Captain; 06-11-2024 at 10:17 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Range Issue