GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

20 or 21 inch wheels ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2021 | 01:29 PM

volvo
20 or 21 inch wheels ?

I am about to order 2022 GLE 350.. Like the appeal of 21 inch wheels, but considering I live in Northeast. Does 20 inch makes more sense for Winter ride?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2021 | 04:02 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Even though the 20s have the same tire size, you can't rotate the tires front to rear without dismounting the tires from the rims due to different wheel offsets. The 21 are different tire widths front and rear, and also have different wheel offsets. So no real tire rotation/life advantage with the 20 inch rims, unless you want to dismount and re-balance each time. Narrower tires do better in snow...but if you're gonna drive in snow...buy dedicated snow tires and rims(in 20 or 19 inch size). If you like the 21's, I say go with the 21s.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexAg91:
jtjbt20x (07-02-2021), MikeSL (07-01-2022)
Old 07-02-2021 | 05:49 PM

2021 GLE450
I can't speak for the 20's but the 21's look REALLY good. The wider rear tires give it an aggressive stance which I love.
Old 07-02-2021 | 09:18 PM

2022 X5 M50i
21s have a bit sportier/aggressive look (IMO), but 20s are a softer ride; so, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're planning to commute and looking for as much comfort and quietness, 20s are a good choice. If you're upgrading from the "riding a stool on a kitchen tile" type of car and don't care much about a slight comfort and noise difference -- pick whichever looks better. It's all subjective.
Old 07-03-2021 | 09:04 AM

2021 GLE 63
I'm probably your best example of where one would have concern with a 21" here in NYC and I have to say that I am happy I was kind of "forced" into it since I found a GLE 450 I was happy with available immediately. Ride it firmer on the 21's but not by such a large margin as I was worried about. Rough pavement does induce some chatter and jumpiness as expected but I would not call the ride harsh by any means. I have no idea how bad it will be in winter but it looks awesome as well. Car handles nicely in the twisties (steel suspension) . Do I do my best to avoid potholes in NYC, YES!!! I did buy the wheel insurance at a friends suggestion at my dealership in case as well, I guess some peace of mind for me. Did I say they look awesome!!
Old 07-03-2021 | 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
20 or 21s?

Originally Posted by tp27
I am about to order 2022 GLE 350.. Like the appeal of 21 inch wheels, but considering I live in Northeast. Does 20 inch makes more sense for Winter ride?

Thanks
I love my 21s, but I have a set of 20s for Winter tires. The wide all-seasons would not be very good in snow or ice.
The following users liked this post:
MikeSL (07-01-2022)
Old 07-03-2021 | 04:29 PM

GLE450
There is a fairly substantial rotational mass difference between 21s and 20s. Larger wheels have a lot more mass to make them stronger, both in the hubs but also in their spokes and barrels. Going with 20s and taller tires is better choice as far as handling, comfort, braking, and fuel economy. The only advantage larger wheel has is looks. There is a secondary benefit of larger wheel in cars like Porsche GT3RS or AMG GTR, they provide larger contact patch and better final gear ratio transfer and thus better traction/higher speeds. But for SUVs, those points do not apply. You do sacrifice a decent amount of braking performance as well as handling. Larger wheels are a lot less nimble and they also naturally overwork the suspensions more (which is bad news for air suspension systems).

So….

Yes they look good, although I’d argue 20s look classy and 21s look a little too over the top for a family SUV, but you do take a big hit on all areas mentioned.

Oh and forgot the obvious, they cost an arm and a leg and mounting tires are a pain in the ***. While most tireshops can handle 20s, for 21s you need specialized equipment - more hassle.
The following 2 users liked this post by FirstSUVOwner:
Gregg K. (01-11-2023), MikeSL (07-01-2022)
Old 07-03-2021 | 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
There is a fairly substantial rotational mass difference between 21s and 20s. Larger wheels have a lot more mass to make them stronger, both in the hubs but also in their spokes and barrels. Going with 20s and taller tires is better choice as far as handling, comfort, braking, and fuel economy. The only advantage larger wheel has is looks. There is a secondary benefit of larger wheel in cars like Porsche GT3RS or AMG GTR, they provide larger contact patch and better final gear ratio transfer and thus better traction/higher speeds. But for SUVs, those points do not apply. You do sacrifice a decent amount of braking performance as well as handling. Larger wheels are a lot less nimble and they also naturally overwork the suspensions more (which is bad news for air suspension systems).
So….
Yes they look good, although I’d argue 20s look classy and 21s look a little too over the top for a family SUV, but you do take a big hit on all areas mentioned.
Oh and forgot the obvious, they cost an arm and a leg and mounting tires are a pain in the ***. While most tireshops can handle 20s, for 21s you need specialized equipment - more hassle.
True, in general, but these aren't Buick wheels. Part of the reason that AMG wheels "cost an arm and a leg" is the design and production of wheels that are stronger yet lighter.
Here's a (lengthy) video about their design -
It's actually pretty interesting.

The tires' weight certainly does affect the rotational mass, and I don't know if the lighter AMG wheels offset that penalty.
Z-rated tires with MO-1 specifications, may overcome the disadvantages you state, and justify their price.

I think the fat tires affect fuel economy, though, probably because of their rolling resistance, and maybe drag coefficient.
Old 07-03-2021 | 06:56 PM

GLE450
Originally Posted by mikapen
True, in general, but these aren't Buick wheels. Part of the reason that AMG wheels "cost an arm and a leg" is the design and production of wheels that are stronger yet lighter.
Here's a (lengthy) video about their design - https://youtu.be/nF__XxFRCjg It's actually pretty interesting.

The tires' weight certainly does affect the rotational mass, and I don't know if the lighter AMG wheels offset that penalty.
Z-rated tires with MO-1 specifications, may overcome the disadvantages you state, and justify their price.

I think the fat tires affect fuel economy, though, probably because of their rolling resistance, and maybe drag coefficient.
Those AMG wheels in the GT(R) arent the AMG wheels on the GLE (please do correct me if I'm wrong). Mercedes does the same thing BMW M does probably, in that they'll slap the AMG (M) package on SUVs but the wheels will be substantially heavier than their sports car siblings.

This is probably for 2 reasons, first and foremost is the cost, the $3000 package wouldnt be able to cover the cost of extremely lightweight mono block forged aluminum wheel set (that would be 3x the cost of the package), secondly, the car at 5000 lbs (and with a 7000 lbs tow much more than that) can put a tremendous amount of load on the tires and wheels. Those wheels while looking like other AMG wheels have to withstand to stresses far more than a 1500 kg track car will in a race track pulling 1.2 lateral g.

Also, you buy a GLE, I'm sure you want to be able to drive in snow and ice, correct? 315s on a 5000 lbs car? Good luck with heavy snow fall. Even 275s is probably widest you want to go. The thinner the tire, the more it will cut through the snow and allow you to steer/brake/accelerate (incline/decline) better. Been there, done that. I have 335 section snow tires as well as 285s and I have had 265s and 245s in other cars. Those aspects I mentioned are dramatically worse in the 335 car. 285 is barely driveable in deep snow.
MikeSL (07-01-2022)
Old 07-03-2021 | 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Also, you buy a GLE, I'm sure you want to be able to drive in snow and ice, correct? 315s on a 5000 lbs car? Good luck with heavy snow fall. Even 275s is probably widest you want to go. The thinner the tire, the more it will cut through the snow and allow you to steer/brake/accelerate (incline/decline) better. Been there, done that. I have 335 section snow tires as well as 285s and I have had 265s and 245s in other cars. Those aspects I mentioned are dramatically worse in the 335 car. 285 is barely driveable in deep snow.
That's a dilemma I will be forced to make, come this fall. I sure don't want No Season tires heading into winter, and there aren't many tire manufacturers that make the 21" staggered sizes.
Fortunately, my Go-To winter tire, Nokian R3 SUV, is now available in that size. They have been incredible on snow and ice, but smaller 255 and 295 sizes.
So the dilemma is to try the legendary Nokians in fat tire size (would be my 4th set), or get another set of 20" winter wheels. Then there's the seasonal storage problems.

So, for this thread, this is just another question to answer in choosing between tire fitments.

Despite these wonderings, I am pleased with the 21's on our AMG53. The car deserves the grip. Actually, it could use more.
For the ultimate, practicality not-an-issue experience, I should have gone 22" UHP tires and a set of 20" winters.
Old 07-03-2021 | 08:43 PM

GLE450
Originally Posted by mikapen
That's a dilemma I will be forced to make, come this fall. I sure don't want No Season tires heading into winter, and there aren't many tire manufacturers that make the 21" staggered sizes.
Fortunately, my Go-To winter tire, Nokian R3 SUV, is now available in that size. They have been incredible on snow and ice, but smaller 255 and 295 sizes.
So the dilemma is to try the legendary Nokians in fat tire size (would be my 4th set), or get another set of 20" winter wheels. Then there's the seasonal storage problems.

So, for this thread, this is just another question to answer in choosing between tire fitments.

Despite these wonderings, I am pleased with the 21's on our AMG53. The car deserves the grip. Actually, it could use more.
For the ultimate, practicality not-an-issue experience, I should have gone 22" UHP tires and a set of 20" winters.
I am the reverse. I went from 20" rear wheels to 19" rear wheels but higher sidewall on my Corvette ZR1 for more predictable handling. The thinner side wall, the more snap oversteer/insensitive the car becomes. Higher sidewall communicates better with the driver giving you signals on when the car is about to lose grip. You dont need larger wheels for more grip. I have gone from 20" wheels and 335 tires to 19" wheels but 345 tires. You also lose quite a bit of weight. Unsprung mass makes a big difference. By downsizing my wheels, I have saved 50 lbs of unsprung mass which is about 220 lbs of sprung mass. Every lb helps when it comes to rotating mass. Car will accelerate faster, brake better, turn sharper, and it will handle road imperfections a lot better. Those road seams that you have on bridges/highways that can upset the car if you enter them at high speed is a good example where this difference can be felt.
Old 07-04-2021 | 05:33 PM
cwu

GLE350de
No such dilemmas in the UK, wheel size is determined by the trim level, so to get pan roof I have to have 22” alloys. If I downsize the wheel I have to downgrade the trim level and lose a lot gadgets. Very annoying.
Old 01-11-2023 | 01:53 AM

GLE 450

So….

This is by far the most informative post on this issue I have found. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2023 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel size & weight

This is an oversimplification, ignoring the type of wheel. E.g., I am using the 20" twin-five spoke wheels with 275s from my W166 for my Winter setup. These wheels/tires weigh 76.5#. My AMG multi (14) spoke 21s with 6,900 mi. & 9/32" tread (10/32" new) weigh 68.2#F & 75.0# R, which considering their size, is pretty light. Not sure if they are forged, but the AMGs are definitely higher quality. So the front AMGs are 8 lbs lighter, which is considerable, with same width tires even though they are 1" wider (10" vs. 9"). Would be interesting to know the weight of the V167 non-AMG 20s (50R) and AMG 20s (RZV) to compare to the 21s.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-11-2023 at 10:14 AM.
mikapen (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023 | 10:47 AM

SUV
I have 21" (35/40) on my X5 and think the ride is a bit rough and could use more rubber. The overall look looks a bit skinny for the size of the car. I also have 21" on the GLE but the GLE's are 40/45. It could also be the suspension is different but the GLE rides very smooth/comfortable. I had GX (19" 55) and RX (20" 55). The RX feels softer the X5's 21" but a bit stiffer than the GLE's 21". The GX was softer maybe a bit too much as expected. I don't know how much width affects handling/ride in snow, but IMO 21" is super comfortable and looks very classy when paired with AMG appearance.

Last edited by mb2be; 01-11-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2023 | 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am the reverse. I went from 20" rear wheels to 19" rear wheels but higher sidewall on my Corvette ZR1 for more predictable handling. The thinner side wall, the more snap oversteer/insensitive the car becomes. Higher sidewall communicates better with the driver giving you signals on when the car is about to lose grip. You dont need larger wheels for more grip. I have gone from 20" wheels and 335 tires to 19" wheels but 345 tires. You also lose quite a bit of weight. Unsprung mass makes a big difference. By downsizing my wheels, I have saved 50 lbs of unsprung mass which is about 220 lbs of sprung mass. Every lb helps when it comes to rotating mass. Car will accelerate faster, brake better, turn sharper, and it will handle road imperfections a lot better. Those road seams that you have on bridges/highways that can upset the car if you enter them at high speed is a good example where this difference can be felt.
I agree about rotating mass, but not much else. Your Corvette seems to want more slip angle, but that is not my experience at all. I'd guess it's your personal preferences, not a generally applicable statement.

My guess is that your experience is also Brand-specific. Some brands have gradual breakaway, others are abrupt.

​​​​​On the track, 21s are inadequate for the 2 1/2 ton GLE. 20's were fine for hustling along a favorite twisty, but they get hot and slippery after 10 minutes at .75 G's. So if performance is your goal, other things matter.

I chose 21's primarily because of better availability than 22's. AMG wheels are VERY light and strong BTW.
ACC2 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-14-2023 | 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bigger wheels and unsprung weight

Interesting take...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ght-explained/