GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Opinions on Certain Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Opinions on Certain Options

I've created a couple of threads asking for opinions and experiences on certain options and instead of making another thread for a single option, I figured I'd list the options I am on the fence on and ask for people's opinions on them here:

1) Air Balance Package - Asked about this on another thread and the majority of opinions were one sided and I'll probably skip this option all together. Was leaning that way myself.
2) Heated/Cooled Cup Holders - Pretty inexpensive option so it feels like if you're already spending this kind of money, another $180 isn't that big a deal. But how do people like this option? Does it hold bottles and cups as well as the standard cup holders which look like they are sturdier?
3) AMG Heads Up Display - A bit pricier than others, but looks like a cool option. How are people liking this feature? Is the information on it legible and easy to see? Is it worth $1,100 just to not lower your eyes on the instrument cluster?
4) Soft-close Doors - Never had a car with soft close doors but always seemed like a very luxurious feature to have. Is it worth it? I tend to close my doors a little harder than you should but mercedes and other german cars have that satisfying thunk when you do close them. Does the soft-close work all the time, meaning even if you slam the door will it stop and automatically close softly? Or do you need to provide the right amount of force for it to work properly?
5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Looks like a good option to have if you have kids in the back. However I can see it get frustrating when you just want to simply open the window but have to go through 2 steps if the shade is up (I know first world problem).

I know everyone has their own opinions on all of these but I am just trying to get a sense of how people like these options or if they even use them.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 53 Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Vdhroso
I've created a couple of threads asking for opinions and experiences on certain options and instead of making another thread for a single option, I figured I'd list the options I am on the fence on and ask for people's opinions on them here:

1) Air Balance Package - Asked about this on another thread and the majority of opinions were one sided and I'll probably skip this option all together. Was leaning that way myself.
2) Heated/Cooled Cup Holders - Pretty inexpensive option so it feels like if you're already spending this kind of money, another $180 isn't that big a deal. But how do people like this option? Does it hold bottles and cups as well as the standard cup holders which look like they are sturdier?
3) AMG Heads Up Display - A bit pricier than others, but looks like a cool option. How are people liking this feature? Is the information on it legible and easy to see? Is it worth $1,100 just to not lower your eyes on the instrument cluster?
4) Soft-close Doors - Never had a car with soft close doors but always seemed like a very luxurious feature to have. Is it worth it? I tend to close my doors a little harder than you should but mercedes and other german cars have that satisfying thunk when you do close them. Does the soft-close work all the time, meaning even if you slam the door will it stop and automatically close softly? Or do you need to provide the right amount of force for it to work properly?
5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Looks like a good option to have if you have kids in the back. However I can see it get frustrating when you just want to simply open the window but have to go through 2 steps if the shade is up (I know first world problem).

I know everyone has their own opinions on all of these but I am just trying to get a sense of how people like these options or if they even use them.
For #2, I like this option. It does keep my coffee warmer as I am a slow coffee drinker
For #3, I found it hard to train myself to look at it so never got used to it and actually never even noticed it for long periods of time. I had it on my C63 so I didn't want it on my GLE for that reason.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:04 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 53 AMG SUV, 2021 GMC Denali, 2015 Bentley Speed convertable

I got it and I like it.

No Brainer as it works as promised

I couldn’t live without this one especially when navigating in unfamiliar areas. All three of our cars have this.

Oh boy- I have issues with this one. My Bentley convertible has much heavier doors than the MBz. It has soft close and I am glad. Now we go to the MBz. I had, key word “had” this in my 2018 43AMG so I got in the habit of closing the doors very softly to let it do its job. One day as I was slowly closing the door, my finger got stuck in the door and I almost lost my fingernail- never more. I naturally don’t have it on my 53AMG and good riddance
5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Looks like a good option to have if you have kids in the back. However I can see it get frustrating when you just want to simply open the window but have to go through 2 steps if the shade is up (I know first world problem). Nobody rides in our back seat but if we still had little kids, I would order it. My 43AMG had manual rear shades but the 53AMG has no shades if you don’t order power. If the back seat is used, order it. That’s my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2022 X5 M50i
#3 -- as I never owned a car with HUD before, I personally find it amazing. I test drove GLE 580 with HUD before placing my order and it was such a cool feature. It showed speed (and speed limit, if I recall correctly), plus the graphical nav directions (distance to the exit, what lane to stay in, etc). I also noticed it had 3 sections you could configure individually, but I didn't get a chance to see what all is configurable (maybe radio/music?). This has easily became one of my top options; in fact, I would refuse the delivery if the factory scraps it.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
1. No-Even my SA with 30 years experience said skip…
2. Personal Choice
3. Yes-useful & must have.
4. Yes-In this model they don’t start to close until they make contact so no pinching fingers. We like them but no big deal.
5. Personal Choice
Old 07-19-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
HUD—yes, have it and will never get another vehicle without a HUD, each of the 3 sections have different configurations you can display by selecting with the steering wheel thumb pad

Power rear window shade. Back glass is tinted so rarely use. But girls in back have used it when the sun was setting on occasion, so not totally worthless.

No comment on the others you list.

other options I wouldn’t go without:

1 - multi contour front seats with massage
2 - rapid heat seats with heated arm rests
3 - MB Tex dash and door panels
4 - drivers assist package
5 - premium package.
6 - advanced LED headlights

Last edited by TexAg91; 07-21-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
1) Air Balance Package - I'd never get this.
2) Heated/Cooled Cup Holders - If vehicle you're buying comes with it, it's pretty inexpensive, but would not go out of my way to order it.
3) AMG Heads Up Display - MY GLE 53 has it, but I would be ok without it. Perhaps once I go on a trip I'll use it more. Note that it will be barely visible with polarized sunglasses, so if that's what you wear, you've been warned.
4) Soft-close Doors - Love love love mine. Had this on my GL550 and now on my GLE53.
5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Same as #2 above.

Cheers,
Old 07-19-2021, 06:33 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
#1 and #2 not worth if ordering. Maybe #2 if your in the cold northeast somewhere keep coffee warm but not in LA. I still haven’t used the cold/hot function after 4 months owning car. Also prefer regular cup holder more staple holding drinks.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2021 GLE 450
We have the HUD display. Nice but I could live without it. You can change the intensity and what is displayed but gets reset depending on the selected Dynamic Select Program. I find myself looking at the instrument panel out of habit. Polarized sunglasses will completely block it as if it was turned off.
We also have soft-close doors. They only work when the door is almost closed. It takes some time to get used to not closing the door in a traditional way. Anyone else who rides in the car will slam the door anyway.
We bought the car from inventory. If I had ordered the car those are two options I could do without.

Last edited by kvelez; 07-20-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 GLC43 | 2020 GLE350 | 2014 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Sigp232
#1 and #2 not worth if ordering. Maybe #2 if your in the cold northeast somewhere keep coffee warm but not in LA. I still haven’t used the cold/hot function after 4 months owning car. Also prefer regular cup holder more staple holding drinks.
Exactly this - regular cup holders hold a cup much better and have a totally different design, which is why I vote for regular.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:20 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Thanks for all the insights everyone.

Seems like the AMG HUD is a fan favorite but I see a couple people could live without it. I feel like I could live without it but I say that because I've never had it and never really experienced it. I've seen that it's pretty configurable and can show a bunch of info but does it show the speed limit or do you need to get the speed limit assist option for that?

I do like the rear sun shades and I will have a baby back there so it seems like something that could prove to be useful on sunny days. This is definitely high on the list.

I could probably do without the soft close doors. Seems like a feature I would use much. Plus just more machinery that can break.

While the heated/cooled cupholders are inexpensive I'm thinking will hold cups firmly? Just from pictures I've seen, those little clips don't seem like they can firmly hold a smaller cup in there, whereas the regular cupholders seem to be more modular. I guess this depends on the person too. Fast drinkers (such as myself) probably don't need something like this. But I can see it being useful for someone that likes to sip their coffee slowly. I feel like there would be some spillage with any spirited driving.

I've also given the DAP consideration but after going through a bunch of threads here, it seems as if mercedes driver assistance is a bit clunky at the moment and can prove to be a headache for more skilled drivers. I can see someone like my wife using those types of features but I feel like with my style of driving it would be a fight between me and the computer quite a lot. Plus I've heard its better used for long road trips which I don't really take.

Also, I forgot to mention the acoustic comfort package. The GLEs I test drove did not have that option but they were extremely quiet regardless. Does it make that much of a difference?
Old 07-20-2021, 05:02 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Vdhroso
I do like the rear sun shades and I will have a baby back there so it seems like something that could prove to be useful on sunny days. This is definitely high on the list.

I could probably do without the soft close doors. Seems like a feature I would use much. Plus just more machinery that can break.
If you have a baby, I think the soft close doors are nice. You can very silently close the doors without waking up a sleeping toddler (which is my case). We like them a lot, never had an issue in either very cold or very warm weather.

I have all the other options you list, the only one I find useless is the fragrance. I haven't used the heated/cooled cupholders much, but they can come in handy to keep baby's milk bottle a little cooler for a little longer (don't expect much, it's not a fridge).

Rear sunshades are nice especially for a baby. HUD is cool, I use it all the time.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
This is my 2nd vehicle with a HUD. I have learned to love it and it is a must have on all future vehicles.
I have the 2nd row sun shades and keep them up most of the time in the summer. Only lower them if I have people in the 2nd row. Opening the rear windows is not a two step process. You just hold the switch in the down position a little longer and they both go down.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
1) Air Balance Package - Must have if you have allergies. I turned off the perfume spritzer but I got this option for the extra air filter that comes with it. It works well.

2) Heated/Cooled Cup Holders - Nice to have to keep hot coffee warmer and cold coffee colder. I had one hard stop where the Dunkin large iced coffee cup tilted forward and spilled a couple teaspoons of coffee though.

3) AMG Heads Up Display - Must have, the best part is the navigation display. I took a 1500 mile road trip and it really helped navigating the cities. You have your choice of a lot of different information displays in the three zones. It also shows the name of the radio station and for am/fm you see a list of stations to pick.

4) Soft-close Doors - As another poster said, it's really good to keep sleepers asleep. It only starts working about 1/4" from the closed position which was a little surprising as I've been in another car where it activated about two inches away from the closed position. My Audi Q7 activated at about 1/2".

5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Another must have, It's actually one step to open as the window switch has two positions and can be pressed in one step. It also helps hide the contents of the second row seats if you use that row to hold stuff on a road trip.

6) acoustic comfort package - works great. I ran a test where my wife stood outside about three feet away and she couldn't hear me scream as loud as I could. It also cuts down a lot on road noise.

As another poster mentioned, I also have the following options and they are great too:

5 - premium package.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
1) Air Balance Package - Must have if you have allergies. I turned off the perfume spritzer but I got this option for the extra air filter that comes with it. It works well.

2) Heated/Cooled Cup Holders - Nice to have to keep hot coffee warmer and cold coffee colder. I had one hard stop where the Dunkin large iced coffee cup tilted forward and spilled a couple teaspoons of coffee though.

3) AMG Heads Up Display - Must have, the best part is the navigation display. I took a 1500 mile road trip and it really helped navigating the cities. You have your choice of a lot of different information displays in the three zones. It also shows the name of the radio station and for am/fm you see a list of stations to pick.

4) Soft-close Doors - As another poster said, it's really good to keep sleepers asleep. It only starts working about 1/4" from the closed position which was a little surprising as I've been in another car where it activated about two inches away from the closed position. My Audi Q7 activated at about 1/2".

5) Power 2nd-row sun shade - Another must have, It's actually one step to open as the window switch has two positions and can be pressed in one step. It also helps hide the contents of the second row seats if you use that row to hold stuff on a road trip.

6) acoustic comfort package - works great. I ran a test where my wife stood outside about three feet away and she couldn't hear me scream as loud as I could. It also cuts down a lot on road noise.

As another poster mentioned, I also have the following options and they are great too:

5 - premium package.

They come with 2 filters regardless air package or not.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Another comment on the Head Up Display.
In addition to having important information in my line of sight, it allows me to lower the steering wheel to a point that makes my seating position much more comfortable and effective. My best position is where the steering wheel is lowered so that it blocks the top inch and a half of the instrument cluster. But the HUD shows that info so I don't have to compromise or peer around the wheel to see displays.

I know, it's not much, but another problem I have with many cars, is my knee rubbing on the center console. They are important considerations - and another reason I can't understand why people buy cars sight unseen.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLE450 / 2008 C300
I've only had my 450 about 3 weeks, so first impressions only:

H/C Cup Holders: I can't say as I've noticed any great benefit of the H/C feature but will keep assessing. I will say without question that the cup holders are quite flimsy and do a poor job of adjusting pressure (from only ONE lever) on smaller size containers. Standard water bottles go flying. I'm resolved that I need to find a container that is just barely smaller in diameter than the holder to not perpetually be cussing at the designers of this.

HUD: Absolutely love it.

Soft Close Doors: Once I got the hang of them, I really like this feature.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
Everyone has options...
AIr Balance - Didn't order it. Didn't see need.
H/C Cupholders - Didn't order it. Had it on previous MB. Never used it.
Heads Up - Love it.
Soft Close Doors - Ordered it. Thought it was frivolous. Family loves it. Doors always shut tight.
Power Sun Shades - If you regularly have rear seat passengers, get it. So convenient and useful
Acoustic Comfort - Didn't order it. Was concerned about sensors for toll road and car wash. Mine is super quiet without it.
Massage Seats - I like it. My wife loves it. Nice on long trips.
Rapid Heat Seats and Armrests - Nice but not necessary. Only want heat on armrests when wearing coat or sweater anyway.
MB Tex Dash - An extra level of class.
Drivers Assist - Love it. Would not want car without it.
Premium Package - Should already be standard.
Advanced lighting - Also should already be standard. Didn't compare to standard but lighting is excellent with it.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Everyone's replies so far have been very helpful in informing my decisions.
I decided to get rid of the heated/cooled cup holders since I keep hearing they don't hold drinks firmly enough. I usually always have a standard thin water bottle or a small cup of coffee and I can just imagine spillage occurring if I brake or accelerate hard.
I decided to add the HUD since everyone seems to love. Asked my brother in law about it in his X5, he said he loved it so seems like a winner to me.
Also added the Power 2nd Row Sun Shades since I will be having a baby back there often. It will be nice to keep it darker and cooler back there.
As for the acoustic package I was on the fence about it since it helps keep the car cooler during hot days but I plan on tinting the front 2 windows and I'll have the sun shades in the back so it kind of defeats the purpose for me. Plus we get a whopping 2 weeks of summer and sunshine in MA and the rest of the year its pretty much cold.

As for the advanced lighting, I saw that on the AMG DOG at least, the adaptive high beam assist seems to be standard for the '22 models which makes me assume the MSRP might go up slightly. But I bet they'll still keep the other part (LED intelligent light system) of the exterior lighting package as its own option and still keep it the $900 that it is.

Side Note: I went to another dealer to check some of these options out in person and this specific dealer I went to was not even letting people test drive the AMGs and immediately told me the few AMGs they had on the lot are 10k over MSRP. And I'm more than sure they will sell them for over asking however 10k is a bit overzelous but I wouldn't be surprised. Just a wild time we're living in.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@Vdhroso This has been a useful thread. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-21-2021, 05:45 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 GLE450
I'll comment on the options I have:

Heated/cooled cup holders - I find this pretty useless. I put a water bottle in it and drove for 2 hours and the water never got cold. The problem is the bottom of the cup holder does not get cold. It's only the sides that gets cold but the water bottle is too small to make a good contact with the surface. I haven't used the heated feature yet since we are experiencing 100 degrees in California.

HUD - I can live without it but my wife really loves it. She thinks it shows a lot of useful information and helps to keep your eyes on the road.

Power 2nd-row sun shade - If you carry rear passengers often, I think it's good to have. I rarely have rear passengers but whenever I have them, they appreciate the sun shade.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Options we really like are driver assist (a big part of the reason we chose this vehicle), soft close doors (once you figure them out they are nice), Acoustic comfort: really takes quiet to a new level and anything to keep the inside cooler in Florida is great. Premium package, I agree should be standard. We also like the illuminated running boards, but YMMV. Don't need heated and cooled cupholders or rear shades. As for HUD, eons ago in Europe we rented a BMW that after awhile we realized had a primitive HUD. The reason we didn't figure it out right away is because we are both very tall, and just didn't see it. Maybe that is not an issue with this vehicle, but the fade-out with polarized sunglasses (worn probably 75% of the time we are in the car) is an issue.