GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

First time MB : Need your inputs in buying new GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2021 | 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
They describe specs different for the transfer case-

350-4MATIC® permanent all-wheel drive
450-4MATIC® fully variable all-wheel drive
53-
AMG Performance 4MATIC+® all-wheel drive
I still can't see any differences, unless the 350 is still using the W166 transfer case.

All of the above are "permanent all wheel drive," and all are "fully variable."

I haven't seen any specs or model numbers, other than pre-launch press releases that (as I recall) claimed similar improvements for (all?) V167 cases.

I've scouted the Daimler site but I don't think it's searchable, other than with an external search engine.
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mikapen
I still can't see any differences, unless the 350 is still using the W166 transfer case.

I haven't seen any specs or model numbers, other than pre-launch press releases that (as I recall) claimed similar improvements for (all?) V167 cases.

I've scouted the Daimler site but I don't think it's searchable, other than with an external search engine.
I haven’t researched it for Mercedes but Audi started a changeover in 2018 to allow a front to back variable torque split on some SUV’s. The Germans seem to move together but my assumption could be wrong that there are two different ones. It would make sense to have just one transfer case…the descriptions might just be marketing lingo.
The following users liked this post:
jtjbt20x (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only MBs - the best or nothing
I have been trying to verify if there is a difference in the 4Matic between the GLE350 and the GLE450. The description you quoted sounds like the description of 4Matic+, which is the version on the AMG vehicles.

A couple years ago during intro, it seemed like the V167 boasted the "new" 4Matic as differentiated from the previous 40/60 version in the W166, and was the same in both 350 and 450.
Can you clarify that it's not the AMG 4Matic+ that's different?
I do not know about V167, but since W166 was mentioned, I'll chime in.

For W166, 40:60 front/rear torque split under normal conditions was only for AMGs: ML/GLE 63 and later also for GLE43.
350 gas, 250/300/350 diesel, 400 and 550 all had 50:50.
That was the difference between regular 4matic (50:50) and AMG enhanced 4matic (40:60).

All W166 could transfer all torque to axel or even a single wheel, if needed. As I recall previous version of ML 163/164 could do that at least to some extend too.
The following 2 users liked this post by threeMBs:
mikapen (07-31-2021), Ron.s (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 03:33 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I have been trying to verify if there is a difference in the 4Matic between the GLE350 and the GLE450. The description you quoted sounds like the description of 4Matic+, which is the version on the AMG vehicles.

A couple years ago during intro, it seemed like the V167 boasted the "new" 4Matic as differentiated from the previous 40/60 version in the W166, and was the same in both 350 and 450.
Can you clarify that it's not the AMG 4Matic+ that's different?
You can probably find that info on the AMG specs page.
Old 07-31-2021 | 03:35 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Imanone
At the expense of exposing my stupidity, can you put this explanation into real world explanation, or… In other words, 350/440 4Matic For Dummies?
Beats me, it's a bit confusing. Probably on purpose.
Imanone (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5

OK, Here’s a presser from 2019 when the GLE was introduced. It reads that the 4 cylinder has the older Gen 3 AWD with a fixed power delivery to front and rear…50/50. Six and up get the Gen 4 Variable…

4MATIC
"Agile on the road, superior when off-road

Available for the first time for models featuring an engine with six or more cylinders and for the plug-in hybrid, fully variable all-wheel drive (Torque on Demand, TonD) controls torque distribution between the front and rear axle from 0-100 % depending on the selected driving mode. With the optional Offroad package, and as a world first, likewise fully variable all-wheel drive (TonD) with a low and high range is available. This makes the GLE more off-road capable than ever.

In the four-cylinder models, the transfer case of 4MATIC all-wheel drive directs the drive torque to the axles in a fixed 50:50 percent ratio. Spinning wheels are braked by braking intervention at the relevant wheel. Other functionalities such as Start-off Assist and Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR) support the driver both on and off the road. Decades of experience with the system by engineers at Mercedes-Benz are reflected in the dynamic performance and comfort of the GLE. This is achieved by finely-tuned interaction between 4MATIC and the electronic braking, control and traction systems.

New: transfer case with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch

A transfer case with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch is used for the other engines, e.g. in the GLE 450. This allows a variable transfer of drive torque from 0-100 percent (torque on demand) between the axles. Also new, and available as an option, is a transfer case specially configured for superior off-road driving characteristics. In addition to the controlled multi-disc clutch with torque-on-demand function, this has a reduction gear set and an automatic locking effect from 0-100 percent for off-road driving.

Also when driving on the road, and particularly when cornering, the two fully networked transfer cases with torque on demand allow a further improvement in handling safety and agility by specifically influencing the degree of yaw to induce oversteer or understeer.

Torque on demand: shows just how efficient an SUV can be

Depending on the driving situation, the new transfer case can feed the front axle with suitable, variable drive torque as required. This takes into account the driver's wishes and the selected driving mode, and physical factors such as the current yaw rate or actual traction are also considered. These are used to continuously calculate the best torque distribution, so as to transfer correspondingly more drive torque to the front axle via the multi-disc clutch in the transfer case. This makes safe and sporty handling characteristics possible even on surfaces with varying friction coefficients.

When moving off either forwards or in reverse, Torque on Demand ensures the best possible traction even on ice and snow. The physical operating principle of the clutch corresponds to that of a centre differential lock familiar from purely off-road vehicles.

During dynamic driving manoeuvres such as slaloming, evasive action or cornering, on the other hand, maximum lateral stability at the front axle can be assured by reducing the drive torque at these wheels.

The new transfer case also has a positive effect on longitudinal dynamics and ride comfort, as the engine torque no longer requires to be reduced for the purposes of load reversal damping." -- Daimler 11-221-18 press release
The following 3 users liked this post by Ron.s:
Imanone (07-31-2021), MBguy013 (07-31-2021), mikapen (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Wow what great research, @Ron.s
That answers a nagging question I've had for a long time.

It adds a lot to the thread, defining another difference between the models.
Imanone (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021 | 10:29 AM

2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by Ron.s
OK, Here’s a presser from 2019 when the GLE was introduced. It reads that the 4 cylinder has the older Gen 3 AWD with a fixed power delivery to front and rear…50/50. Six and up get the Gen 4 Variable…

4MATIC
"Agile on the road, superior when off-road

Available for the first time for models featuring an engine with six or more cylinders and for the plug-in hybrid, fully variable all-wheel drive (Torque on Demand, TonD) controls torque distribution between the front and rear axle from 0-100 % depending on the selected driving mode. With the optional Offroad package, and as a world first, likewise fully variable all-wheel drive (TonD) with a low and high range is available. This makes the GLE more off-road capable than ever.

In the four-cylinder models, the transfer case of 4MATIC all-wheel drive directs the drive torque to the axles in a fixed 50:50 percent ratio. Spinning wheels are braked by braking intervention at the relevant wheel. Other functionalities such as Start-off Assist and Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR) support the driver both on and off the road. Decades of experience with the system by engineers at Mercedes-Benz are reflected in the dynamic performance and comfort of the GLE. This is achieved by finely-tuned interaction between 4MATIC and the electronic braking, control and traction systems.

New: transfer case with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch

A transfer case with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch is used for the other engines, e.g. in the GLE 450. This allows a variable transfer of drive torque from 0-100 percent (torque on demand) between the axles. Also new, and available as an option, is a transfer case specially configured for superior off-road driving characteristics. In addition to the controlled multi-disc clutch with torque-on-demand function, this has a reduction gear set and an automatic locking effect from 0-100 percent for off-road driving.

Also when driving on the road, and particularly when cornering, the two fully networked transfer cases with torque on demand allow a further improvement in handling safety and agility by specifically influencing the degree of yaw to induce oversteer or understeer.

Torque on demand: shows just how efficient an SUV can be

Depending on the driving situation, the new transfer case can feed the front axle with suitable, variable drive torque as required. This takes into account the driver's wishes and the selected driving mode, and physical factors such as the current yaw rate or actual traction are also considered. These are used to continuously calculate the best torque distribution, so as to transfer correspondingly more drive torque to the front axle via the multi-disc clutch in the transfer case. This makes safe and sporty handling characteristics possible even on surfaces with varying friction coefficients.

When moving off either forwards or in reverse, Torque on Demand ensures the best possible traction even on ice and snow. The physical operating principle of the clutch corresponds to that of a centre differential lock familiar from purely off-road vehicles.

During dynamic driving manoeuvres such as slaloming, evasive action or cornering, on the other hand, maximum lateral stability at the front axle can be assured by reducing the drive torque at these wheels.

The new transfer case also has a positive effect on longitudinal dynamics and ride comfort, as the engine torque no longer requires to be reduced for the purposes of load reversal damping." -- Daimler 11-221-18 press release
Thanks for the extra effort. Well appreciated. So....I can drive like a maniac and I'm all set?? Just kidding!