MBUX Update Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE 350 4Matic
MBUX Update Today

Hey Everyone-

Tonight I got the alert for a new MBUX Update. Everything seemed to update find but the million dollar question is what did I get from the update?

Anyone else get an update alert today and know what was addressed/added?

TR
Old 07-29-2021, 01:21 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
I got the alert a couple minutes after I got into my car at around 10:30pm Eastern tonight. Performed the update, took about 10 minutes. Interestingly, as a safety precaution the update message told me to turn off the ignition and apply the parking brake before I could review and agree to the update terms, but the parking brake portion wasn't necessary. I was able to restart the engine and continue driving while the update was in progress (MBUX screen is black with just an arrow and a progress indicator).

I checked the software version from the car after the update completed and MBUX rebooted and it's now ntg6/081 (it used to be ntg6/080 if I remember correctly).

I also checked my app when I got home and saw this:

As far as what's addressed, I think it's "just" the recall @ https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21V354. Don't know if the update included anything besides that recall fix.

In mid-July 2020, MBAG launched an investigation after receiving reports from the field describing situations where the rearview image in various vehicle platforms remained blank after the transmission was placed in reverse. The initial information that MBAG received from these reports was general in nature and did not point to any particular reason for the anomaly. MBAG proceeded to obtain a vehicle from the field for additional analysis in late summer of 2020. In cooperation with the MBUX system supplier, MBAG conducted an analysis of the vehicle throughout autumn of 2020. During the course of the testing, MBAG became aware of other reports from the field that indicated a possible issue with the performance of the MBUX system and rearview camera display. In these instances, customers reported a brief interruption of the rearview image after which it would immediately reappear. In the winter of 2020 and into 2021 MBAG worked to identify the conditions that appeared to affect the performance of the MBUX system under these two potential failure mechanisms. These aspects were further considered including whether they were related issues and any influence on each other. MBAG’s investigation revealed that the MBUX system may not initialize as intended depending on a specific combination of conditions such as component tolerances and temperatures. If those conditions were to occur, the rearview camera image might not be displayed. Further, through the investigation it was found that there is a possibility that an ongoing writing operation on the hard drive of the MBUX multimedia system could be interrupted during the “shut down” phase of the system. If this were to occur, the unprocessed data could be stored on the hard drive and the next time the MBUX system was initiated, while the system would restart as intended, it then could reboot itself approximately 50 seconds after system initiation. Please see Chronology Supplement.
[edit] https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and https://www.mbusa.com/en/recall both still show this recall as outstanding for my VIN, I guess their systems take some time to update.

Last edited by maalox; 07-29-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:33 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE 350 4Matic
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was related to the recall but was not sure.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 E350
Since I did the update having issue with map disappearing and saying not compatible with the system.