MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   Tire pressure (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/821735-tire-pressure.html)

Bryce1023 08-14-2021 03:21 PM

Tire pressure

My MB service center put 45 psi in my front tires and 48 psi in the rear. Is that way too much ? I do prefer slightly higher tire pressure , I however never mentioned this to him. What is the highest front and rear psi that I should be driving with? Thanks

mikapen 08-14-2021 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce1023 (Post 8395729)
My MB service center put 45 psi in my front tires and 48 psi in the rear. Is that way too much ? I do prefer slightly higher tire pressure , I however never mentioned this to him. What is the highest front and rear psi that I should be driving with? Thanks

I started with +2psi over the gas flap pressures, for unladen vehicle. I have 21' staggered tires.
As I recall, that's where I set my 20"-ers on the 2020 GLE450 also.

I'd suggest that as a sterting point, then adjust for ride, handling and tire wear.

Ron.s 08-14-2021 03:43 PM

You would get a better answer if you listed your model and tire/wheel size. The gas cap gives you the correct pressures as a starting point.

GregW / Oregon 08-15-2021 02:58 PM

Tire pressure

Way too high - will ride like on Flinstone tires. As others said, go by the pressures on the gas flap and add a couple pounds if you like.

toban 08-15-2021 04:04 PM

Just went out to the garage to check my pressures when tires are cold or ambient temperature.

Gas cap pressure for normal:

Front. 31 lbs
Rear. 31 lbs

I have them set at 35 lbs front and rear.

Dealer had them set at delivery 41 front 44 Rear

Toban

Mcfancy14 08-17-2021 07:57 PM

Dealer had mine in the 40s also ...other posters are correct. Do not go by the door jamb pressures, us the the gas cap pressures

Neurobit 08-20-2021 09:35 AM

Dealers are notorious for over-inflating. It doesn’t matter what manufacturer. They all do this.

E55Greasemonkey 08-20-2021 12:55 PM

Dealers do this for two reasons.
1) They don't know how you are going to load the car. Better safe than sorry.
2) Most customers never add air to their tires. The higher the pressure is set, the longer before the customer will have to deal with a low pressure warning.

djer 08-20-2021 02:35 PM

Yeah this is pretty much all dealers any brand, also helps to prevent flatspotting if the car sits for half a year in inventory. I typically set the tire pressure right in the delivery bay (or outside of it to save the salesman's face since they felt guilty having me do it), but I'm just really picky on my psi lol.

mikapen 08-28-2021 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by djer (Post 8399808)
Yeah this is pretty much all dealers any brand, also helps to prevent flatspotting if the car sits for half a year in inventory. I typically set the tire pressure right in the delivery bay (or outside of it to save the salesman's face since they felt guilty having me do it), but I'm just really picky on my psi lol.

I also check and may reset tire pressures before a test drive, to be fair to the car I am looking at.
It can make or break a car.

Bryce1023 08-28-2021 06:58 AM

It’s a GLE 350, it has the 20 inch Cooper tires. I did find setting the pressure in the low 30 psi range was too low. I think I will set them to 38 psi and see if it feels comfortable during normal everyday driving with no heavy loads. Perhaps I will try 40 in the rear tires

toban 08-28-2021 01:23 PM

What does your gas cap tire pressure say?

Toban

FreeWoRLD 07-25-2023 04:04 PM

The "Cold Tire" term is the key here.

In my opinion, "cold tire" should be set in the following conditions only;

- Tire inflation/set should be at an hour when you drive the car the very first time in the day (for me around 7:30a). If you drive your car at 3pm every day, then that when is your "cold tire" pressure.
- There should be no direct sunlight on any of tires.
- Vehicle has not moved at all (tires not rotated at all in that day)
- Vehicle should be flat - any incline will skew the results, even at minor.

I've set my tires to 32 psi each in a real "cold tire" environment with above applied and during any drive session that is longer than 15 mins, car reports it at around 36psi each (US Southeast), which my tire pressure device confirms.
So, that 4+ psi difference mentioned on the gas cap is true.

mikapen 07-26-2023 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by FreeWoRLD (Post 8820400)
The "Cold Tire" term is the key here.

In my opinion, "cold tire" should be set in the following conditions only;

- Tire inflation/set should be at an hour when you drive the car the very first time in the day (for me around 7:30a). If you drive your car at 3pm every day, then that when is your "cold tire" pressure.
- There should be no direct sunlight on any of tires.
- Vehicle has not moved at all (tires not rotated at all in that day)
- Vehicle should be flat - any incline will skew the results, even at minor.

I've set my tires to 32 psi each in a real "cold tire" environment with above applied and during any drive session that is longer than 15 mins, car reports it at around 36psi each (US Southeast), which my tire pressure device confirms.
So, that 4+ psi difference mentioned on the gas cap is true.

As a general rule, 1 to 1 1/2 hours without driving will achieve "cold."
If you need to travel for air, check at home before driving to determine how many psi you want to add, then recheck when you get to an air source and add that many psi.
A tire store can take a measurement and add 'x' psi.
It won't be as precise, but darn close.

Earlier I mentioned the International standard for psi ratings was 20C or ~68F.
That's only for their max pressure and weight capacity as labeled on the tire.
It doesn't apply to "cold inflation pressures" that you're talking about.

ATX GLE 08-29-2023 03:01 PM

Need help. Let me tee it up:
Car purchased in February and we haven't touched the tires, we garage the car and live in Texas so the garage stays in the mid 90s most of the day. We opted for the 21 inch staggered AMG wheels.
Gasoline cap reads 31 psi front, 31 psi rear (normal) and 38/44 psi (max load)
Door sill reads 38 psi front, 44 psi rear (cold).
Yesterday the low tire pressure light in the display came on for all 4 tires at the same time (?) two at 34 psi and 2 at 35 psi. And, there was no cold front that dropped the garage temp.

My question is.... what is the optimal pressure for this set-up??? 31, 38, 44 what-the-what!

mikapen 08-29-2023 03:33 PM

@ATX GLE The gas flap are the pressures for your car and tire setup, as built. Use those as a starting point.
The other stickers are Fed required stickers and don't relate specifically to your automobile.

Second, you can reset your TPMS to the pressures you have chosen, by going to the service menu and resetting to the current pressure.

How was the ride and handling at the 34+psi pressures you had set before?

Edit: it does seem odd that all four came on at the same time.

tn52 09-05-2023 12:38 PM

I have a 2023 GLE 450 with AMG 21 inches stagged tires. I guess that this problem usually was for owners with 21" wheels? Can someone please give me the instructions to "reset the threshold" of the tire pressure warning in the car computer? I am in the same boat as ATX GLE, my TPMS shows a warning on all 4 tires if the tires' pressure is at < or even = 45 psi. So far, my only option is to keeps pressure at 46 psi :( :(... The tire pressures listed on the gas door are much-much lower, but if I correct the pressure down to this level then then the low pressure warning pops up.

GregW / Oregon 09-05-2023 12:53 PM

Tire pressure warning

Originally Posted by tn52 (Post 8842205)
I have a 2023 GLE 450 with AMG 21 inches stagged tires. I guess that this problem usually was for owners with 21" wheels? Can someone please give me the instructions to "reset the threshold" of the tire pressure warning in the car computer? I am in the same boat as ATX GLE, my TPMS shows a warning on all 4 tires if the tires' pressure is at < or even = 45 psi. So far, my only option is to keeps pressure at 46 psi :( :(... The tire pressures listed on the gas door are much-much lower, but if I correct the pressure down to this level then then the low pressure warning pops up.

I have 21s and never had this issue. Have you gone through the "Restarting the tire pressure loss system" procedure as described in the manual? Unless someone has a solution, best to stop by your dealer and have them address it.

zengshengliu 09-05-2023 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tn52 (Post 8842205)

I also have a 21" wheel (non AMG but stagged also) and does not have the issue.
This is for the 2020, but should be the same step as yours. Make sure to set the tire pressure to the correct value (as listed in gas door) first before resetting. Once this is done, it will use the current pressure as the reference for the warning.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...57cdc01cf1.png

tn52 09-05-2023 05:24 PM

Thank you GregW & Zengshenliu! I follow your instructions, re-read the manual, correct the pressure, reset "current pressure" as reference for the TPMS warning, and the issue is resolved. Without your help, I was about to make an appointment at the dealer to get this fixed. So yes, the low TPMS warning threshold can be set to the values we wanted.

fun33 09-07-2023 06:00 PM

Do I need to replace TPMS when getting new tires?

My 2018 560S only has 17,840 miles on the original Pirelli run-flats. The tires probably could get to 20,000 miles but I welcome the opportunity to ditch the run flats for some regular Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. The price for tires at COSTCO is $1,275 installed including tax. COSTCO wants to use generic TPMS replacements when they install the tires. COSTCO is charging $11.96 for all 4 generic TPMS but I only want MB parts. Yes, I know the Michelin's are Summer tires; I live in Florida and never drive out of state.

Should I purchase:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor - Mercedes-Benz (000-905-39-07) $99 for all 4 sensors

or, should I purchase

Sensor Kit - Mercedes-Benz (000-905-85-04) $232 all 4 sensors

Are there any other MB parts I should order prior to going to COSTCO?

I want to bring the correct TPMS parts to COSTCO. The car is now 5 years old; seems that is about the fewest number of years before the battery in the TPMS starts failing.

mikapen 09-07-2023 06:17 PM

Discount Tire rebuilds the TPMS sensors as part of their mount and balance.
They replace the batteries, stem seals and cores. So I know it can be done. I don't think there are any OEM parts involved.

I would only buy new sensors if I bought a winter set of wheels that needed them.

I don't know what Costco specifically offers so I can't make a direct comparison.

wildta 09-07-2023 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen (Post 8843563)
Discount Tire rebuilds the TPMS sensors as part of their mount and balance.
They replace the batteries, stem seals and cores. So I know it can be done. I don't think there are any OEM parts involved.

I would only buy new sensors if I bought a winter set of wheels that needed them.

I don't know what Costco specifically offers so I can't make a direct comparison.

Does the dealer do that too or will they make you buy new sensors? I recall you getting your tires replaced at the dealership in the past but maybe your TPMS sensors still had plenty of battery life.

GregW / Oregon 09-07-2023 07:00 PM

TPMS

Originally Posted by fun33 (Post 8843554)
My 2018 560S only has 17,840 miles on the original Pirelli run-flats. The tires probably could get to 20,000 miles but I welcome the opportunity to ditch the run flats for some regular Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. The price for tires at COSTCO is $1,275 installed including tax. COSTCO wants to use generic TPMS replacements when they install the tires. COSTCO is charging $11.96 for all 4 generic TPMS but I only want MB parts. Yes, I know the Michelin's are Summer tires; I live in Florida and never drive out of state.

Should I purchase:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor - Mercedes-Benz (000-905-39-07) $99 for all 4 sensors

or, should I purchase

Sensor Kit - Mercedes-Benz (000-905-85-04) $232 all 4 sensors

Are there any other MB parts I should order prior to going to COSTCO?

I want to bring the correct TPMS parts to COSTCO. The car is now 5 years old; seems that is about the fewest number of years before the battery in the TPMS starts failing.

The first number you posted is for a single sensor which are normally about $74 each, so not sure where you got that price. You can get the latter for $172 here: https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...9058504?c=az0x. The Tire Rack also has the Schraeder ones for $152/four + $10 for the hardware kit: https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/result...8&autoModClar=.

mikapen 09-07-2023 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by wildta (Post 8843571)
Does the dealer do that too or will they make you buy new sensors? I recall you getting your tires replaced at the dealership in the past but maybe your TPMS sensors still had plenty of battery life.

I can't answer that because the car was only 7 months old. Good question.