How well do your wipers work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by pjw1967
Great observation. We have seen where some MB products have acoustic glass. I spent a little time with Google (where everything is true) but could only come up with "metalized" windshields. It's used as a tint, but I couldn't tell if it is in the glass or on the surface.
The Acoustic is sandwiched in the glass. You can see it in the side windows…I have that option. I have a hard time believing that the windshield has any coating…at least not anything intentionally applied.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone has found a fix. Despite having a polished and ceramic-coated windshield, the problem continues for me. I just had my wiper blades replaced under warranty, and the chattering is exactly the same with the new blades. At times when it sticks in just the right place, the wiper arm will release with a spring-like effect and hit the frame as other owners have reported. I've tried cleaning with Dawn, Alcohol, and vinegar and treated it with Rain-X. Nothing helps. It almost seems like there's too much tension on the arms. The dealer says I got the last set of blades from stock, and they are now on backorder - not that it matters since new blades don't seem to make a difference. Such an infuriating situation.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLE 450
The windshield is covered with a thick, high-molecular weight hydrophobic coating. Any solvent that could dissolve or cut through it you do not want anywhere near your paint or windshield surround plastic parts.

Use Stoner Glass Stripper. Follow the directions exactly. Repeat as many times as the amount of product allows - you can probably get 4 or 5 treatments. Scrub that **** off.

Link:
Amazon Amazon

Don't use Rain-X, it adds exactly what you are trying to remove.

Last edited by Sieveboy; 04-26-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
GLE350 (2021), 991.2 (2019)
Unfortunately, I cannot find the other thread we had about this. Someone in that thread suggested "Invisible Glass, Glass Stripper". I never thanked the poster, but his advice was good.

It took a bit of elbow grease, but after two applications, the problem has not returned in 2 months. Yes, I was skeptical as well, but so far it worked.
When applying it, I could actually see the patches of "residue" on the windshield, as the glass stripper didn't want to stick to it at first.
After application, the patches are gone and the glass evenly accepted the product. And the skipping stopped.
Use it exactly as the instructions say.

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by CMFUSA:
HotRodW (04-26-2022), MBguy013 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 12:43 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Sieveboy
The windshield is covered with a thick, high-molecular weight hydrophobic coating. Any solvent that could dissolve or cut through it you do not want anywhere near your paint or windshield surround plastic parts.

Use Stoner Glass Stripper. Follow the directions exactly. Repeat as many times as the amount of product allows - you can probably get 4 or 5 treatments. Scrub that **** off.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Gla...944448234&th=1

Don't use Rain-X, it adds exactly what you are trying to remove.
Thanks. Never been a fan of Rain-X, but there's a desperation factor at-play here. Not only is the skipping annoying, but nothing good can come from that wiper hitting the frame. And Rain-X itself is pretty easy to strip.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:26 PM

2021 GLE450
I was really hoping I wouldn't have to strip the ceramic coating. Rather than order another abrasive product, I just broke out the BKF, polisher and cerium oxide glass polish. (The glass cooktop was due for a rejuvenation anyway, so I knocked that out, too.) A quick driveway test indicates the wipers are working much better. I'll need to test it on the road to see if I've actually solved the problem completely.