GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tires and tired

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Volvo XC90
Tires and tired

Hi, I am looking to purchase a GLE 350 but swap the factory tires to all weather tires. The factory wheel is 20 inch and tire size is 275/50/R20; in Canada, it is odd that there is no 19 inch wheel option.

The problem is the all weather tires don't come in the 275/50/R20 size. For example, Nokian wrg4 suv comes in 265/50/R20, or 275/45/R20, or 275/55/R20. Other brands are pretty much the same. Seems like GLE just created its own size. Really tired of this research.

Anyway, can someone let me know if the 3 alternative sizes will fit the wheel? From my research, the 265/50/R20 is closet to the factory tire diameter (by 1% off). The other two are both 3-4% off. Thanks!

Update:

Thank all of you guys' help. I should have clarified that the all weather tire I am looking for is not all season. It is the one like HotRodW mentioned. It has 3 peak mountain and snowflake symbol, rated for winter, but can also drive in summer. Therefore, I don't need to buy another set of wheels and tires, and don't need to switch twice every year.

Unfortunately those all weather tires don't have many size choices. Toyo Celcius and Nokian wrg4 are two good brands but don't come with 275/50/R20. Therefore I am thinking if I can fit 265/50/R20, which both of the make. If anyone knows that is much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Leaside; 10-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 PM

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 GLC43 | 2020 GLE350 | 2014 E350 (sold)
I’m pretty sure the US gle is offered with 20” all season tires. Have you tried tireracks US site to search for tires?

we have 19” wheels and there’s no shortage of all season tire options.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 696 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Leaside
Hi, I am looking to purchase a GLE 350 but swap the factory tires to all weather tires. The factory wheel is 20 inch and tire size is 275/50/R20; in Canada, it is odd that there is no 19 inch wheel option.

The problem is the all weather tires don't come in the 275/50/R20 size. For example, Nokian wrg4 suv comes in 265/50/R20, or 275/45/R20, or 275/55/R20. Other brands are pretty much the same. Seems like GLE just created its own size. Really tired of this research.

Anyway, can someone let me know if the 3 alternative sizes will fit the wheel? From my research, the 265/50/R20 is closet to the factory tire diameter (by 1% off). The other two are both 3-4% off. Thanks!
There are some great All Season tires in that size. Check availability on a major supplier like Tire Rack or Discount Tire for fitment options.
There is nothing special about the size…I’ve seen at least 4 Mercedes Vehicles with a different brand of AS tire in that size. Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone Dueler, Continental, etc. Even in Canada many of these tires should be available at least to order.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:37 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Not exactly your question but Nokian does make tires in the 275/50/R20 size. Not the WRG4 as you say, but their winter tire @ https://www.nokiantyres.com/amp/tyre...liitta-r3-suv/ (I have the 21"). Just to show that it's not a totally unusual size
Old 10-27-2021, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I forgot to mention but I’m almost certain that all Canadian builds (GLE 350/450) come with AS from the factory like they do in the Northern US. There may be some of the new Gen All Seasons in that size that are also winter tire rated.

Last edited by Ron.s; 10-27-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
By "All Weather" tire, I assume you're looking for an all-season tire with the severe service rating? In that case, your only option might be the Toyo Celsius.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:44 AM

Volvo XC90
Thank all of you guys' help. I should have clarified that the all weather tire I am looking for is not all season. It is the one like HotRodW mentioned. It has 3 peak mountain and snowflake symbol, rated for winter, but can also drive in summer. Therefore, I don't need to buy another set of wheels and tires, and don't need to switch twice every year.

Unfortunately those all weather tires don't have many size choices. Toyo Celcius and Nokian wrg4 are two good brands but don't come with 275/50/R20. Therefore I am thinking if I can fit 265/50/R20, which both of the make. If anyone knows that is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2021, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Michelin PA5 SUV are what I run on 275/50/R20 on my GLE...great in snow, hardpack, ice, quiet & good mileage. There are also well rated Bridgestone Blizacks in that size, maybe Pirrelli.
As I said earlier do a search-there are a lot of good tires that size including winter tires. There are also tire reviews done by tire rack. There are also threads on this Forum that discuss winter tires...the GLE has been out for over 2 1/2 years so do your homework for the best results.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Michelin PA5 SUV are what I run on 275/50/R20 on my GLE...great in snow, hardpack, ice, quiet & good mileage. There are also well rated Bridgestone Blizacks in that size, maybe Pirrelli.
As I said earlier do a search-there are a lot of good tires that size including winter tires. There are also tire reviews done by tire rack. There are also threads on this Forum that discuss winter tires...the GLE has been out for over 2 1/2 years so do your homework for the best results.
Sorry just noticed that you want AS/Winters...They will get lower mileage but there are offerings from several Brands. I have the Michelin Cross Climate on my wifes Audi-AS/3 peaks winter rated but 30k mileage. By the time you pay to change tires back and forth 2 times a year and consider the mileage factor and loss on the original tire...there's nothing wrong with having two sets. I get mine switched and rebalanced free from the place I purchased them. In the States Costco and Discount Tire offer that free service that I have used.

Last edited by Ron.s; 10-27-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:09 PM

Volvo XC90
Thanks Ron. Will think about the actual cost of having only one set of tires. Checked out Michelin Cross Climate, it has 90k km and 6 years warranty. Good for me as I generally drive 10k km a year, or 6k miles. Again it does not come in the exact 275/50/R20 size.

Maybe be the time the GLE is delivered next year there will be that size available.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:12 PM

2021 GLE450
The Celsius is available in 275/50/20. I'm not sure why it's not on Toyo's website unless they're awaiting replenishment. I linked Tire Rack's website in my previous post, but for some reason the link doesn't take you to the product page. Here's a screenshot. Note available date is 11/26.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by HotRodW
The Celsius is available in 275/50/20. I'm not sure why it's not on Toyo's website unless they're awaiting replenishment. I linked Tire Rack's website in my previous post, but for some reason the link doesn't take you to the product page. Here's a screenshot. Note available date is 11/26.

Thanks, that is hugely helpful. Will check out this website seen a Canadian (where I am from) that has this size, but the strange thing is Toyo website does not list this size. Will check with the distributor before ordering.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:38 PM

2021 GLE450
Thanks, that is hugely helpful. Will check out this website seen a Canadian (where I am from) that has this size, but the strange thing is Toyo website does not list this size. Will check with the distributor before ordering.
A quick Froogle search suggests other distributors might have them in stock now, so if you can't or don't want to wait for Tire Rack to be restocked, it might be worth checking around.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM

Volvo XC90
Thanks again. I haven't made the order on the GLE yet. Will see when the expected delivery date and purchase the tires.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 07:35 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
We installed Toyo Celsius on my wife's Tiguan and they are absolutely amazing. We had the Nokians before and the Toyos are much better in hard packed snow as well as slush. You won't be disappointed. I have Michelin all seasons on my GLE now, just getting some miles out of them before switching to the Toyo.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chrislk55
We installed Toyo Celsius on my wife's Tiguan and they are absolutely amazing. We had the Nokians before and the Toyos are much better in hard packed snow as well as slush. You won't be disappointed. I have Michelin all seasons on my GLE now, just getting some miles out of them before switching to the Toyo.
That's a good comparison.
Which model Nokians did the Toyo's outperform?
Nokians are the snow standard, although some new competitors seem to get better reviews these days.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:15 PM

2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Originally Posted by mikapen
That's a good comparison.
Which model Nokians did the Toyo's outperform?
Nokians are the snow standard, although some new competitors seem to get better reviews these days.
We had the WRG4 SUV tires and replaced them with the Toyo Celsius SUV. I was surprised because we have been Nokian fans for years, I had the WRG3s on previous vehicles and they were great. Our tire dealer suggested the Toyos and we reluctantly agreed to try them and we were pleasantly surprised !
mikapen (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 01:23 PM

Volvo XC90
We had the WRG4 SUV tires and replaced them with the Toyo Celsius SUV. I was surprised because we have been Nokian fans for years, I had the WRG3s on previous vehicles and they were great. Our tire dealer suggested the Toyos and we reluctantly agreed to try them and we were pleasantly surprised !
What's the size of both Nokian and Toyo tires? There are a few posts complaining about humming noise especially on highway, do you have any noise issues? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
That's a strong recommendation, based on your experience.
I've had the Nokian R2 and R3 SUV on my ML's (absolutely incredible on black ice but DO make noise as they wear). Also WRG3 and 4 on a C Class, ML, Cayenne and now on our GLC300. I'm a fan, but no sizes for the GLE53, except the full-on R3 SUV, which are less a year-round tire than I want now.

I just ordered Pirelli Scorpion Winters from the M-B dealer, who actually has availability, and the tire comes with the MO-1 rating for AMG vehicles. We'll see how they last when summer arrives again.
I'm pretty impressed with the MO-1 Conti's that came on the car - the first Conti's I have actually liked! So I'm willing to try the 21" Winters. I toyed with another set of 20" wheels so there were more available All Weather (NOT "All Season" (affectionately called NO Season) tires).
Old 10-28-2021, 04:44 PM

2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Originally Posted by mikapen
That's a strong recommendation, based on your experience.
I've had the Nokian R2 and R3 SUV on my ML's (absolutely incredible on black ice but DO make noise as they wear). Also WRG3 and 4 on a C Class, ML, Cayenne and now on our GLC300. I'm a fan, but no sizes for the GLE53, except the full-on R3 SUV, which are less a year-round tire than I want now.

I just ordered Pirelli Scorpion Winters from the M-B dealer, who actually has availability, and the tire comes with the MO-1 rating for AMG vehicles. We'll see how they last when summer arrives again.
I'm pretty impressed with the MO-1 Conti's that came on the car - the first Conti's I have actually liked! So I'm willing to try the 21" Winters. I toyed with another set of 20" wheels so there were more available All Weather (NOT "All Season" (affectionately called NO Season) tires).
I was shocked also because I've been a Nokian fan for years and recommended them to countless people. It really struck me one day when I took my previous ML350 to my wife's work and borrowed her Tiguan to bring it in for service. The parking lot was hard packed snow and the ML did a fair bit of slipping and sliding with the Nokians. Driving out with the Tiguan, it was rock solid, the difference was significant. I sold the ML before switching but once these Michelin all seasons are worn, I'll be putting Toyos on the GLE. I have also heard great things about the Michelin CrossClimate tires but haven't tried them. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has ...
Old 10-28-2021, 05:09 PM

Volvo XC90
I was shocked also because I've been a Nokian fan for years and recommended them to countless people. It really struck me one day when I took my previous ML350 to my wife's work and borrowed her Tiguan to bring it in for service. The parking lot was hard packed snow and the ML did a fair bit of slipping and sliding with the Nokians. Driving out with the Tiguan, it was rock solid, the difference was significant. I sold the ML before switching but once these Michelin all seasons are worn, I'll be putting Toyos on the GLE. I have also heard great things about the Michelin CrossClimate tires but haven't tried them. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has ...
ML is heavier than Tiguan. I wonder if Toyo is on ML, whether it will slip too. Some research report says those two are quite similar in braking distance (on the same car). I have only seen the conclusion, but couldn't find the test figures.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:32 PM

2023 GLE63S - Edition 55

Here is the tire on the Tiguan. The size is 255/45R19. I would think the heavier vehicle would be more planted but I'm certainly no expert in that area......
Old 10-28-2021, 06:45 PM

Volvo XC90

Here is the tire on the Tiguan. The size is 255/45R19. I would think the heavier vehicle would be more planted but I'm certainly no expert in that area......
I am no expert either, but just think to stop the slipping, the bigger the mass, the more friction the tire needs to provide. Like it takes longer for a truck trailer to stop. If your ML has 255/50 R19 tire, then it has the same width the tire on Tiguan, therefore hypothetically same contact area to road. I would think it is easier to stop the Tiguan than ML. So the Nokian WRG4 tire might be as good as Toyo.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
23 AMG63G
Well in one of those it looks better on paper or pictures and what was I thinking, I ordered the Goodyear F1 Asymetric 5 Soundcomfort Technology XL. One came in damaged so we have to wait on the front, but that gives me chance to compare how they look. The F1s just at glance don't look like they would shed water well, and omg are they soft. But worse of all they look rounded or something. They just don't look right! Hhmmmmm

Thoughts? The rears are the Goodyears.

Last edited by Adopo; 06-01-2024 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:53 PM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Have you checked the Michelin CrossClimate 2 AW (3PMSF) tires? It comes with 275/50R20 size, MICHELIN® CROSSCLIMATE2 275/50R20 113V XL BSW::
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/bro...sion/275/50/20

CC2 is closer to winter tire Alpin 5 with similar treads. Below is braking distances from Tirerack tests:

Update:

Last edited by Serhan; 06-02-2024 at 12:59 PM.
HotRodW (06-02-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires and tired