GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Question on 2022 Rear Bumper Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2022 | 11:38 PM

2022 GLE 350
Question on 2022 Rear Bumper Chrome Trim

I recently purchased a 2022 GLE 350 (4matic). First post on these forums so pardon any ignorance on my part. So far I'm really loving the car and quite happy with everything! I feel lucky to have landed the 350 with 95% of the options I was looking for.
- Metallic White Exterior w/ Macchiato Beige Interior

As of now I have about 2,500 miles on the car and it's just over 5 weeks old. As this is my first truly brand new car, my OCD is at maximum and trying to keep everything perfect. I made an appt to have PPF done on bumper/fenders along with two coats of ceramic coating on the entire car including wheels and windshield (detail shop has a amazing reputation and offers a 5 year warranty on the two layer ceramic).
--Unfortunately I learned about the PFF and Ceramic Benefits AFTER I'd owned the car for a week or two and started to research ways to protect it and keep pristine. This forum has been quite helpful!

Sad to say that my quest for perfection has failed a bit early and someone nicked the Chrome on my rear bumper today (of course the bumper protector was delayed +3 days from Amazon and comes later this week).
As for my question - I found what I THINK is the Chrome Rear Bumper trim piece for a reasonable price (link below). As I park in the city with some frequency I'm thinking about ordering it just to have - even if I did not replace it right now I could do so down the road after a bit more wear and tear. I was hoping for confirmation that this piece is identical from the 2021 to 2022 GLE 350? I believe both are considered the 167 variant and as this is the rear bumper trim for the non-AMG line I THINK this is exactly what I'm looking for? For $210.00 I'd love to have this in storage ready for install if the scratches really start to bother me.

https://www.mbpartshaus.com/oem-part...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

If anyone could help me confirm before purchase it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

NOTE: My close friend is a mechanic and does a lot of work with Mercedes/BMW/AUDI so if I can match the part correctly I can get a free install.
Old 03-15-2022 | 12:52 AM

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but if you have the trailer hitch you can also consider something like this for a tad more protection to your bumper: https://www.weathertech.com/bumpstep-original/
Old 03-15-2022 | 07:26 AM

2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I had a similar problem with the chrome strip on top of the bumper that offers protection when you slide objects out of the back hatch. I took the car into the dealer in Bonita Spring, FL, and they had the part in stock. They replaced the part while I waited, it took about an hour. It took about a half hour to remove the chrome strip. My view was partially blocked by another car, but it took some work to remove it. The new strip looks perfect. Even though I am competent doing a lot of work on the car myself, I decided not to attempt this project on my own. Trim replacement can be tricky, you need to know exactly what is involved. Total cost was about $300. Note, when I called the dealer, they asked for the VIN on my car and quickly had the part number. I’m sure that your dealer parts department would give you the part number if you have the VIN for them.

Last edited by TwinCam; 03-15-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2022 | 08:33 AM

2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by maalox
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but if you have the trailer hitch you can also consider something like this for a tad more protection to your bumper: https://www.weathertech.com/bumpstep-original/
I thought about getting something like this; I do have a trailer hitch. Is it easy to quickly attach/remove? Thinking I'd probably only use it when parking in the city so it would be going on and off alot.

Thanks!