GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Heavenly Silence: Finally, aftermarket wiper blades that don't skip.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 03:42 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Wiping the blades down with Aerospace 303 helped. I’m talking a liberal wipe down on both sides of the blades then letting it sit/cure for 24 hours. Not sure how long it will last but so far a few storms and it’s still working good.

However, I will say it again because it’s worth mentioning: morons designed the windshield wipers.
Definitely. We shouldn't have to do that especially on a new car/wiper blade.
I wouldn't say the design of the wiper itself is bad, but its the combination of rubber + the windshield (coating?) Mercedes uses that cause this?
I have a loaner GLC (2021) that doesn't have this issue, but a loaner GLB (2022) that also have a noisy wiper blade.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,811 Posts
2024 S580
I had a GLC loaner a while back and the skipping was HORRIBLE...
Old 01-16-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Many years (60’s)ago we used a powder from GM to use on the Windshield when washing a car. It accomplished two things. Got rid of bugs residue and made the wipers work great. That powder isn’t available any more but I have found Bon Ami can’t scratch powder to be the same characteristics. Try it!
Robert
Old 01-16-2023, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
For MB its not a function of the cleanliness of the windshield, its the design of the wipers themselves.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by SW20S
For MB its not a function of the cleanliness of the windshield, its the design of the wipers themselves.
​​​​​​That doesn't explain why so many people (myself included) haven't had a problem, ever. Five cars, probably 30 to 40 wiper sets, two in December alone.

A poor design would affect all owners, wouldn't it?
It must be something else for those with problems.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by mikapen
​​​​​​That doesn't explain why so many people (myself included) haven't had a problem, ever. Five cars, probably 30 to 40 wiper sets, two in December alone.

A poor design would affect all owners, wouldn't it?
It must be something else for those with problems.
Was chatting with my MB mechanic about this. Its the way the wipers are adjusted. They are VERY sensitive to adjustment and the process to adjust them is almost comical, requiring dedicated tools etc. Some come adjusted properly, some don't. Some dealers can adjust them, many can't.

But, the point is they shouldn't be that sensitive, and they shouldn't be that complex to adjust to where many dealers can't do it right. Somehow other manufacturers can design wipers that just always work. I have never owned any other car where I have ever had issues with wipers except my Mercedes. Of the loaners I have driven, 60-70% of them have had ridiculous skipping wipers. The wipers on my Chrysler are perfect.

Until I got mine adjusted they were so bad I avoided driving in the rain. Thats a fail on MBs part.
The following users liked this post:
SampTina (05-09-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Was chatting with my MB mechanic about this. Its the way the wipers are adjusted. They are VERY sensitive to adjustment and the process to adjust them is almost comical, requiring dedicated tools etc. Some come adjusted properly, some don't. Some dealers can adjust them, many can't.

But, the point is they shouldn't be that sensitive, and they shouldn't be that complex to adjust to where many dealers can't do it right. Somehow other manufacturers can design wipers that just always work. I have never owned any other car where I have ever had issues with wipers except my Mercedes. Of the loaners I have driven, 60-70% of them have had ridiculous skipping wipers. The wipers on my Chrysler are perfect.

Until I got mine adjusted they were so bad I avoided driving in the rain. Thats a fail on MBs part.
It still doesn't explain why so many (most) don't have any problems.
BTW Every shop I've been around has a factory wiper tweaking tool(s). It's not a Mercedes thing.

I liked my 2010 Tiguan strategy. It remembered the direction the wipers were parked (on a downstroke or an upstroke) and alternated the "stroke" each time they were turned off. So every other time it would give a half inch upstroke, resting the blade on the opposite "tilt."

I'm very careful about things that affect my vision. I don't overlook wiper problems. I don't and haven't had wiper problems on M-B's, although I've been fighting another one of my cars.

Help explain why I haven't had problems.
I don't think it's "good luck" or "clean living."
Old 01-16-2023, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
It still doesn't explain why so many (most) don't have any problems.
BTW Every shop I've been around has a factory wiper tweaking tool(s). It's not a Mercedes thing.

I liked my 2010 Tiguan strategy. It remembered the direction the wipers were parked (on a downstroke or an upstroke) and alternated the "stroke" each time they were turned off. So every other time it would give a half inch upstroke, resting the blade on the opposite "tilt."

I'm very careful about things that affect my vision. I don't overlook wiper problems. I don't and haven't had wiper problems on M-B's, although I've been fighting another one of my cars.

Help explain why I haven't had problems.
I don't think it's "good luck" or "clean living."
I would not say that most have no problems. Of all the Mercedes I have driven as loaners, almost all have had wipers that skip. Until I got a Mercedes and started driving Mercedes loaners, I never had any car with wipers that skipped like that. Explain that...

Its a notorious issue out there in the industry that MB wipers are not great in this way. You haven't had problems because your MBs have had wipers that are properly aligned and whatever cleaners you use don't cause them to skip. I had to find a very precise set of cleaners and towels and all to keep my wipers from sklpping even after they were aligned. I'm actually afraid to replace the blades in case the new blades start skipping again...never even gave the wipers a second thought before Mercedes, and anytime I had skipping wipers they were aftermarket blades and going back to OEM solved it.

If this weren't a common issue, you wouldn't have this beautifully produced and illustrated guide from Mercedes as to how to deal with it:

https://automotivetechinfo.com/wp-co...d-Skipping.pdf

Last edited by SW20S; 01-16-2023 at 12:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
haibieb (01-16-2023), SampTina (05-09-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

<snip>

If this weren't a common issue, you wouldn't have this beautifully produced and illustrated guide from Mercedes as to how to deal with it:

https://automotivetechinfo.com/wp-co...d-Skipping.pdf
I doesn't have to be "a common issue," it just needs to be addressed when it IS an issue, just like a coolant leak. Your car doesn't have to have a coolant leak for the Dealer to have a pressure test kit with adapters.

Your link applies to all makes. There are specific tools and tech guidance for all manufacturers.
They are similar in details. And tools.

Similar to squirter aiming - German cars have quite detailed instructions for Squirter Aiming, and, yes, Squirter Aiming Tools.

I doesn't mean that all cars have squirter aiming issues.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Sorry to hurt your fanboy sensibilities, but wiper chatter is absolutely a common issue with Mercedes cars
SampTina (05-09-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 04:11 PM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I've had 6 Mercedes, no wiper problems (yet). My current GLE with the Magic Vision© wipers has been the best.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Unfortunately the magic vision wipers aren't immune, I have them on my S Class. They are awesome though, and I have my situation sorted but I'm afraid to make any changes. Shouldn't be that way, especially with MV wipers that new blades cost $200.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry to hurt your fanboy sensibilities, but wiper chatter is absolutely a common issue with Mercedes cars
Well, then, take it to the Dealer and have them fix it according to the Procedure Bulletin you posted.

I'm not denying that I've heard problems, yours included.
Just stating that I've not had any, ever, Please don't start attacking people who don't have problems again.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Well, then, take it to the Dealer and have them fix it according to the Procedure Bulletin you posted.
I did...it didn't work. I had to get it home and through trial and error I found one glass cleaner I can use that solves the issue 90%. Lots of people do and it doesn't work, thats the point. The wipers are way too finicky and if they aren't perfectly in alignment and/or something is used on the windshield they don't like, you get skipping and shuddering. They shouldn't be so sensitive and difficult to align properly. Contrast this to my Lexus vehicles that wiped perfecly all the time regardless of what was used on the windshield, and in my 22 years of ownership and heavuy forum participation I never even heard of wipers being adjusted to fix skipping.

Just stating that I've not had any, ever, Please don't start attacking people who don't have problems again.
Don't start gaslighting and pretending that common issues with these vehicles are strange one off things that aren't common. When I described my wiper issue to others, literally people's response was "is this your first Mercedes?". Meaning its common.

You have not had the issue, and thats good but its clearly a common issue. "that guide is designed for all cars" LOL, why would Mercedes create a guide for aligning and dealing with wipers for all cars? It was created for Mercedes cars, because skipping is a common issue.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-16-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't start gaslighting and pretending that common issues with these vehicles are strange one off things that aren't common. When I described my wiper issue to others, literally people's response was "is this your first Mercedes?". Meaning its common.

You have not had the issue, and thats good but its clearly a common issue. "that guide is designed for all cars" LOL, why would Mercedes create a guide for aligning and dealing with wipers for all cars? It was created for Mercedes cars, because skipping is a common issue.
Apologies for not being more specific in an otherwise too-long thread. No, Mercedes didn't write the Hyundai wiper instructions or provide their special tools. Good catch!!!

Interpretation for you: Every manufacturer has similar instructions and equipment. I said it earlier, but you must have reached for your keyboard too quickly. You're welcome.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Apologies for not being more specific in an otherwise too-long thread. No, Mercedes didn't write the Hyundai wiper instructions or provide their special tools. Good catch!!!

Interpretation for you: Every manufacturer has similar instructions and equipment. I said it earlier, but you must have reached for your keyboard too quickly. You're welcome.
More gaslighting. This is clearly a common issue with Mercedes vehicles as evidenced by the many posts and threads across many models on this forum. Ask a Mercedes tech...I did and he agrees its a common problem, as did the service advisor at my dealer. Look at the posts just in this thread. Everybody is not wrong but you.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-16-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
I have this wiper skipping issue too. Two loaners (A220 and GLC 300, both 2022 models), had this as well. I purchased 'Bar keepers friend' soft spray cleaner yesterday. Will clean the front and rear glass with that, and see if the problem stops. Dealer had stock answer - wipers are new, if you have problems, we will change them again. So I said no thanks. Will post my experience after cleaning the glass. I suspect it is the ceramic coating/RainX and stuff like that on the windshield which may be causing this.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Wiper skipping

I have had absolutely no issues with my OEM wiper blades (changed once) in nearly 4 years and 30k miles (in rainy Oregon!). I don’t doubt those that do, it’s just very strange what the root cause may be.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:22 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I rely, heavily, on RainX, which eliminates the need to even turn on wipers, most of the time. However, when I do, I also experience the skipping and chatter. I have suspected that it is probably due to RainX, as my prior X5 had a similar issue and I used RainX on that as well. Furthermore, I try to get a car wash once a week, as I drive a minimum of 500 miles a week and car gets pretty dirty. I'm sure that whatever waxes they use contributes to this as well.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by TonyF61
I rely, heavily, on RainX, which eliminates the need to even turn on wipers, most of the time. However, when I do, I also experience the skipping and chatter. I have suspected that it is probably due to RainX, as my prior X5 had a similar issue and I used RainX on that as well. Furthermore, I try to get a car wash once a week, as I drive a minimum of 500 miles a week and car gets pretty dirty. I'm sure that whatever waxes they use contributes to this as well.
Its likely not only those things that cause the chatter. Although I would suggest especially on these cars not using anything on the windshield that leaves anything behind, no Rain X, no glass coatings, etc. After every carwash I use a heavy glass cleaner and a squeegee to clean off whatever the carwash has left on the surface, and that seems to have solved my issue. I also ONLY use the MB washer solution. Would that alone have solved it without the dealer having "adjusted" the blades? I don't know.

You'd be surprised that when you keep the windshield really clean you don't need stiff like rain X, the water rolls off naturally.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
It's great that some folks don't have issue with this. But that really can't be used to prove this thing works as normal wipers. It's pathetic if you ask me. Two incidents on new cars are already too much and enough to make the point this thing doesn't work as normal wipers. Like you I had many Lexus vehicles. None had wipers issues. In fact I don't even remember seeing any such complaint on Lexus forums.
I have a current gen X5. When I first got it, it was skipping but went away. It works like a charm after that. Maybe it just needed to break in. Lol. No cleaning or any extra tasks needed. And I use RainX like the Siracha commercial. At the beginning of every trip, that's the first thing I do. And like you, unfortunately I too had to depend on RainX when I drove hers for that one long trip through the rain. Someone here mentioned it could be RainX. I don't know. Maybe. Even so, why?!
Old 01-17-2023, 10:25 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
You'd be surprised that when you keep the windshield really clean you don't need stiff like rain X, the water rolls off naturally.
How do you keep the windshield really clean? You clean it daily? Unless you apply a coat, water doesn't really roll/bead like RainX.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by mb2be
It's great that some folks don't have issue with this. But that really can't be used to prove this thing works as normal wipers. It's pathetic if you ask me. Two incidents on new cars are already too much and enough to make the point this thing doesn't work as normal wipers. Like you I had many Lexus vehicles. None had wipers issues. In fact I don't even remember seeing any such complaint on Lexus forums.
Absolutely, its just absurd. I still post on the Lexus forums and have for 20+ years, there have never been any widespread issues with wipers chattering.

Whats funny is Lexus uses Denso wiper arms which are just a partsbin supplier, my Chrysler Pacifica has the same denso arms. Give me parts bin denso wiper arms that work over these absurdly fancy MB wipers that don't anyday. $200 for blade replacements that can't wipe the glass smoothly? Come on!
Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by mb2be
How do you keep the windshield really clean? You clean it daily? Unless you apply a coat, water doesn't really roll/bead like RainX.
I clean it well after I get it washed, and then its all good lol, no need to clean it daily its mostly just to make sure whatever may have been deposited on the windshield by the carwash is cleaned off. I have noticed though that if I go weeks without getting it washed and cleaning the windshield (which is rare) they will start to skip again.

It beads more than you would think when its really clean. Not like RainX obviously but it beads up and rolls off, it doesnt just sit flat on the surface.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-17-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like a reasonable strategy.

You might consider Aquapel instead of RainX. It lasts significantly longer and has topped RainX in every comparison I've seen. It's a PPG product.
However they both cause wipers (on all my cars) to skip or streak, so I've quit.

I agree that clean glass can approach the sheeting at highway speeds of RainX / Aquapel, but you still need wipers at slower speeds and dirty spray.

To those using abrasives like Bon-Ami (?) or Barkeeper's, they are pretty aggressive and irreversible, so I'd recommend Glass Cleaning Clay as a first step.

To go farther, My favorite glass cleaner is SprayWay. Several glass companies use rebranded SprayWay as their house brand - it's superior.
SprayWay is the best for removing that glue-like substance that car washes use. Better than the name brands like McGuire's, Adams or Griot's, although I sometimes use Griot's Ceramic after cleaning.

The only time I've had trouble with my wipers has been after a car wash. Amazing gunk. SprayWay to the rescue. I don't like car washes, but they're a necessary evil.

I can't explain why there are reports of skipping from some, and reports of no skipping from others.

Why some and not others? What's the difference?
CarLover73 (01-17-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavenly Silence: Finally, aftermarket wiper blades that don't skip.