GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Heavenly Silence: Finally, aftermarket wiper blades that don't skip.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 01:25 PM

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
+1 for SprayWay - I use it on the ceramic tint inside when/if I get smudges. It's even rec. by name by Cardinal glass for my 2x insulated home windows with UV coating.

I don't use anything on the outside MB glass x/c Aquapel and my car soap (Adams). No issues with wipers skipping, but, they are not the best for sure. They just work acceptably. I just replaced blades with new OE rubber as the wear indicator decal said to change them out (10 months since new).

I had a Lexus back in '07 that had the best wipers I ever used on a vehicle.... wish they all could be that smooth. My GLE is def. better than my SuperDuty LOL..... but yeah, they could be better when you look at other makes.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,811 Posts
2024 S580
I was talking to one of my salespeople today and in the background I heard terrible wiper chatter. I made a comment about it, and her response was "the wipers on this car are terrible". Guess what she drives? A Mercedes CLS.

These are a couple pictures of water beading on a completely clean windshield with no treatments whatsoever

I would not use ANY coating, and this is the glass cleaner I found that works well:

Amazon Amazon

I also use paper shop towels so that there is no contaminants going on the glass from the towel. These are the shop towels:

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by mikapen
To those using abrasives like Bon-Ami (?) or Barkeeper's, they are pretty aggressive and irreversible, so I'd recommend Glass Cleaning Clay as a first step.
Those cleaners will not hurt the glass. You can clean glass with steel wool actuallty.

I can't explain why there are reports of skipping from some, and reports of no skipping from others.

Why some and not others? What's the difference?
Its alignment of the blades, and the blades even when aligned are very particular to what is on the windshield, so its what people are using on their windshields, or what their carwashes etc are using.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:59 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
GLE350 (2021), 991.2 (2019)
Originally Posted by wildta
How have these been now that you've had them for many months now?
4 months in, no skipping/scratching at all. Still really silent.

I'll replace them at the 6 months mark, at the price point it's a no-brainer.
The following users liked this post:
nextmilenium (01-19-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Using Bon-Ami, Barkeeper's or other abrasive polish or steel wool is a gamble IMO. Stacked against your windshield.

I certainly wouldn't use any of those on my cell phone glass, and Gorilla Glass is twice the hardness of a windshield.
Yes, steel wool is softer than glass, but did you ever get a paper cut? And yes, you can scratch your windshield with a plastic razor blade.

If you're considering using abrasives or steel wool on a $2,000 windshield, you might experiment on your $1,000 phone.
I think you'll wish you hadn't.

If you think you need more than a good cleaning, start with glass clay.
Always start with the least aggressive solution so you don't make it worse. Glass or paint.
nextmilenium (01-19-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Detailers have been using all of those things on glass for decades, myself included. Why do you think you can scrape glass with a razor blade? Its very hard. Of course you can scratch it, you just have to use common sense. You don't use Steel Wool or an abrasive cleaner dry, you use lots of water, etc. I've cleaned dozens of windshields with bon ami and steel wool and have never scratched a single one. If you want to feel better about it, use a glass polish with cerum oxide, but its essentially the same thing, an abrasive cleanser that removes impurities from the glass.

In fact, BMW directs the use of Bon Ami in a TSB for chattering wipers:

Bulletin Number: 61 02 94 (3990)
Noisy Wipers, Poor Cleaning: Group 61 Electrical

Woodcliff Lake, NJ
May 1994
Product Engineering

SUBJECT:
Windshield Wipers Are Noisy Or Do Not Clean Properly

MODELS:
All

Situation:
Windshield wiper blades may start to make noise, or fail to clean the windshield properly, even though the blades are not worn and are properly adjusted.

This can be caused by contaminants on the glass, such as oily road deposits or wax residues from car washes. These contaminants can cause the blades to chatter across the glass or fail to wipe cleanly.

Correction:
Common contaminants that are not removed by conventional glass cleaner can be cleaned with Bon Ami(R), a household cleaning product.

The cleaner should be applied on a wet cloth or sponge and the windshield must be thoroughly and evenly scrubbed. Wipe off residue with a clean,dry cloth before the product dries on the glass.

Warranty Status:
Information only.
If you want a good glass polish, this one is very good:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceri...QaAm6VEALw_wcB

Last edited by SW20S; 01-17-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by SW20S
Detailers have been using all of those things on glass for decades, myself included. Why do you think you can scrape glass with a razor blade? Its very hard. Of course you can scratch it, you just have to use common sense. You don't use Steel Wool or an abrasive cleaner dry, you use lots of water, etc. I've cleaned dozens of windshields with bon ami and steel wool and have never scratched a single one. If you want to feel better about it, use a glass polish with cerum oxide, but its essentially the same thing, an abrasive cleanser that removes impurities from the glass.

In fact, BMW directs the use of Bon Ami in a TSB for chattering wipers:
That TSB is from 1990. That was also when they provided a wiper optimizer (cleaner) through parts departments - lots of complaints about wipers 33 years ago. I still have some of those wipes.
BMW has learned not to use abrasives since then. Even than, BonAmi was only a Last Resort, as the (outdated) TSB says. And they say to do the entire windshield, since the abraded parts will be apparent.

Regarding Detailers using Bon Ami and steel wool on glass, not on MY glass.
They use shortcuts like you mention to Get It Out The Door and move on. Get another Detailer.

You cannot manage the cutting edges of steel wool whether it's 0 or 0000 cut. They CAN and DO scratch your windshield. Eventually you'll see the swirl marks, especially at night with oncoming glare.

I ask again - would you try those abrasives on your (harder than windshield glass) phone screen?

Another comment: You said your Tech said "They're all like that." That's a completely unacceptable response. It's just saying "I don't want to spend the time," or "You haven't convinced me there's a problem." Try a more responsive shop.

Maybe you could learn from the folks who don't have problems instead of dismissing them as idiots of Fanboys.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
That TSB is from 1990. That was also when they provided a wiper optimizer (cleaner) through parts departments - lots of complaints about wipers 33 years ago. I still have some of those wipes.
BMW has learned not to use abrasives since then. Even than, BonAmi was only a Last Resort, as the (outdated) TSB says. And they say to do the entire windshield, since the abraded parts will be apparent.
1994, glass is glass. Bon Ami works fine.

Regarding Detailers using Bon Ami and steel wool on glass, not on MY glass.
They use shortcuts like you mention to Get It Out The Door and move on. Get another Detailer.
I was a detailer lol. Many quality detailers use Bon Ami and steel wool on windshields. We didnt use to have the kinds of glass polishes we have today so that was all there was to use.

You cannot manage the cutting edges of steel wool whether it's 0 or 0000 cut. They CAN and DO scratch your windshield. Eventually you'll see the swirl marks, especially at night with oncoming glare.
You dont do any of this on a regular basis, there is no eventually". This is to be used when you have an issue with contaminated glass, not a regular cleaning regimen.

I ask again - would you try those abrasives on your (harder than windshield glass) phone screen?
No but only because phone glass has a coating on it that is oleophobic and anti-fingerprint, which harsh cleaners like that will remove or degrade. If it was just bare glass, yes I would.

Another comment: You said your Tech said "They're all like that." That's a completely unacceptable response. It's just saying "I don't want to spend the time," or "You haven't convinced me there's a problem." Try a more responsive shop.
When did I say my tech said "they are all like that"? This is what I said:

Was chatting with my MB mechanic about this. Its the way the wipers are adjusted. They are VERY sensitive to adjustment and the process to adjust them is almost comical, requiring dedicated tools etc. Some come adjusted properly, some don't. Some dealers can adjust them, many can't.
Maybe you could learn from the folks who don't have problems instead of dismissing them as idiots of Fanboys.
Im not dismissing people who dont have problems as fanboys, I am dismissing you as a fanboy because you try and gaslight everybody into believing things that are clearly widespread issues aren't. I have outlined extensively here how I overcame my skipping issues including providing links to the products that I used. People who just dont have the issue have properly adjusted blades and they dont have products used on the windshield that create this issue. What is there to be learned? Sadly, people have tried to get this issue addressed and the dealer is unable to solve it because adjusting the blades properly is difficult and even when adjusted they are unusually sensitive to products used on the windshield.

Mercedes wipers are sensitive and finicky and are too prone to skipping, other manufacturers dont have this issue to this level. Bottom line. Why does this trigger you so? Mercedes does some things incredibly well, others not so...wipers they don't do very well.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-18-2023 at 02:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
Frenetic (01-18-2023), robert c (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
While I try and say I’ve seen it all—especially on car forums—this place brought something new to me. I’ve never seen someone so blindly defensive about negative comments towards a manufacturer. Defensive in the sense that they’re outright hostile like I’ve just insulted their mothers. It’s mind to boggling to me unless they’re getting paid by said company or are outright trolls.
SW20S (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1994, glass is glass. Bon Ami works fine.
I was a detailer lol. Many quality detailers use Bon Ami and steel wool on windshields. We didnt use to have the kinds of glass polishes we have today so that was all there was to use.

Bottom line. Why does this trigger you so? Mercedes does some things incredibly well, others not so...wipers they don't do very well.
I don't argue with people's actual presented problems.
But I DO take exception to products and procedures that might do harm.

If you said the solution to oil leaks was to drain the oil, you'd be correct, but I'd post my thoughts.
Your glass procedures? I commented.

You've backpedaled on many of your statements when presented with facts. As above.
You wouldn't be my detailer. I vet the products they use.
Nobody in my former shop would use those things without full disclosure and signed release.

Bottom line - We disagree on glass care. You call me names.
Anybody without a wiper problem is a Fanboy.
You treat actual knowledge as a threat to something.
You should stop.

The BMW TSB was 1990.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
IThe BMW TSB was 1990.
The TSB, bolded for emphasis:

Bulletin Number: 61 02 94 (3990)
Noisy Wipers, Poor Cleaning: Group 61 Electrical

Woodcliff Lake, NJ
May 1994
Product Engineering

SUBJECT:
Windshield Wipers Are Noisy Or Do Not Clean Properly

MODELS:
All

Situation:
Windshield wiper blades may start to make noise, or fail to clean the windshield properly, even though the blades are not worn and are properly adjusted.

This can be caused by contaminants on the glass, such as oily road deposits or wax residues from car washes. These contaminants can cause the blades to chatter across the glass or fail to wipe cleanly.

Correction:
Common contaminants that are not removed by conventional glass cleaner can be cleaned with Bon Ami(R), a household cleaning product.

The cleaner should be applied on a wet cloth or sponge and the windshield must be thoroughly and evenly scrubbed. Wipe off residue with a clean,dry cloth before the product dries on the glass.

Warranty Status:
Information only.
You aren't worth this amount of energy, onto my ignore list you go where I have a feeling you exist already for most posters...
Old 01-18-2023, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The TSB, bolded for emphasis:

You aren't worth this amount of energy, onto my ignore list you go where I have a feeling you exist already for most posters...
You are correct about the one you posted.
There was an earlier one in 1990, and I think one in 87 or so. I remember it because Dealers wouldn't perform the BonAmi trick without the signed release I mentioned above.
Thanks for your ignore.
DavidBN (04-10-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:04 PM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I would not use steel wool to clean windshields. As you use steel wool, tiny bits of the steel break off. If you don't get it all properly rinsed off, those bits of steel will rust and stain surfaces. Maybe bronze wool would be better?
Old 01-21-2023, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by BlueYonder;[url=tel:8706937
8706937]I would not use steel wool to clean windshields. As you use steel wool, tiny bits of the steel break off. If you don't get it all properly rinsed off, those bits of steel will rust and stain surfaces. Maybe bronze wool would be better?
0000 Steel wool has been used to clean heavily contaminated windshields for a very long time. You just obviously make sure you rinse it off extremely well. Glass is not abrasive either, so you’re not scrubbing hard and spreading a lot of metal particles everywhere.

To be clear that’s not a regular cleaning protocol. That’s for heavily contaminated glass.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-21-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:27 AM

Received 305 Likes on 238 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
One good thing you can do is clay bar the windscreen using car wash. This will remove any ingrained grit and make the sweep of your wiper blades much smoother and they will last much longer. I've added probably 50% or more time I get out of my blades by doing this every few months. Takes 3 minutes.

Last edited by BlackML550; 04-10-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53 Coupe
Originally Posted by CMFUSA
4 months in, no skipping/scratching at all. Still really silent.

I'll replace them at the 6 months mark, at the price point it's a no-brainer.

can not find the link ??
Old 09-23-2023, 04:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
So I gave Bosch wiper a try (only one from this brand that fit GLE), and it looks almost identical with the Mercedes one, but without the noise (from the few rainy days I have in the past week). The part number from Bosch is 3397014832 for the front pair.
wildta (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 727 Likes on 541 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
So I gave Bosch wiper a try (only one from this brand that fit GLE), and it looks almost identical with the Mercedes one, but without the noise (from the few rainy days I have in the past week). The part number from Bosch is 3397014832 for the front pair.
Mine chatter on the downward motion. Did yours do the same?
Old 09-23-2023, 05:32 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Mine chatter on the downward motion. Did yours do the same?
It does on the Mercedes wiper. On the Bosch one, so far, it is quiet. But its only been a few rainy days on it, so will probably need more time to test it.
wildta (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
It does on the Mercedes wiper. On the Bosch one, so far, it is quiet. But its only been a few rainy days on it, so will probably need more time to test it.
Thanks for posting your experience!
Old 09-23-2023, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Mercedes 167 wipers were fine, two sets - no skipping or noise - until I started going to a tunnel carwash, a year and a half after new.

Now they skip. I clayed the glass and that seemed to fix it - for a while.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
My Mercedes 167 wipers were fine, two sets - no skipping or noise - until I started going to a tunnel carwash, a year and a half after new.

Now they skip. I clayed the glass and that seemed to fix it - for a while.
How long is "a while"? Debating btwn the two now.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How long is "a while"? Debating btwn the two now.
About 3 months.

I actually haven't looked for aftermarket replacements for the 167, but my strongest resistance is to wiper mounts that use universal adapters.
wildta (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 07:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 450
Is it compatible with magic vision?
Old 09-24-2023, 07:30 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by IconBycon
Is it compatible with magic vision?
I don't believe so. The magic vision, as far as I am aware, has special arm which contains tubes for the fluid, so I don't believe you can purchase it outside of Mercedes.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Sadly I replaced my magic vision wipers on my S560 which I had gotten to stop chattering, and the new ones chatter. I drove our Pacifica on a trip this weekend and driving back in the heavy rain today I commented to my wife how FAR superior the lowly Chrysler's wipers are to Mercedes.

I kept the old worn set in case this happened and I'm about to put them back on. $250 for such garbage is offensive, IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavenly Silence: Finally, aftermarket wiper blades that don't skip.