GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2022 | 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
[QUOTE=190Efan;8674663]Bravo Ron for calling out Chasis's bad behavior. I've also called him out and gotten the same personal attacks like you. Why the moderators continue to allow Chasis to be an MB Ambassador for this website is beyond me.[/

Notice how someone disappears the minute anyone ask for facts. “Read the Forum posts” isn’t factual, but a poorly disguised way to try to validate what you can’t back up with facts or personal experience. IMO, it’s not in keeping with the spirit of helping others by making them feel bad about a car they own or might want to buy.

I’m with you on the Moderators…letting him continue to make generalized negative comments…in the wrong Forum since he hasn’t/doesn’t own the V167. Most people use their knowledge to help others. This is no place for revenge posts, if that’s the motive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
BenjaminKohl (11-28-2022), chassis (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
[QUOTE=Ron.s;8674790]
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Bravo Ron for calling out Chasis's bad behavior. I've also called him out and gotten the same personal attacks like you. Why the moderators continue to allow Chasis to be an MB Ambassador for this website is beyond me.[/

Notice how someone disappears the minute anyone ask for facts. “Read the Forum posts” isn’t factual, but a poorly disguised way to try to validate what you can’t back up with facts or personal experience. IMO, it’s not in keeping with the spirit of helping others by making them feel bad about a car they own or might want to buy.

I’m with you on the Moderators…letting him continue to make generalized negative comments…in the wrong Forum since he hasn’t/doesn’t own the V167. Most people use their knowledge to help others. This is no place for revenge posts, if that’s the motive.
Dear sir,

Talking behind someone's back is taught by parents of elementary school children as an example of bad behavior. Tsk tsk.

With kind regards,

chassis
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (11-26-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I haven’t been here very long, but this is the most vile enthusiast forum I’ve been on versus Bimmerpost and Audizine. It’s really unbelievable how many trolls are allowed to persist here.

From my observation, most of the personal attacks in this forum are a result of negative posts and initiated against those that make them. Chassis certainly fits the negative poster category and it’s completely within his right to complain all he wants to. No one should be attacked for expressing their opinions or thoughts. The same holds doubly true for the posts themselves: you can disagree with the poster and post, but don’t insult the poster or the post.

The issue is that there are people here who take negative comments against a car or brand personally. Don’t. I can say this car is a POS all day long. I can recommend to anyone who asks that they should stay away from this brand. Disagree all you want, but these are my thoughts and opinions, and neither me nor my posts should be attacked. Who cares what I think? Whose fault it is that I’m thinking this way anyways?

The point being is that after personally being on the receiving end of insults, outright attacks, baiting, innuendo, I tend to think that any issues with Chassis is started from other posters. I’m speculating because I haven’t been here very long, but that is my observation.
Old 11-25-2022 | 05:02 PM

2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Can we all agree to disagree?....and let's move on. From what I read in this forum, the postings are well intended and sharing opinions and or actual experiences about the cars that we own and or lease.
mikapen (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Agree. This car, in my opinion after owning it, is poorly engineered, poorly designed and poorly assembled. I don’t stand alone in my sentiments; even MB techs call this car a POS. Don’t buy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-25-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 10:21 AM

GLE 450 2020
...And in my humble opinion, after owning this car (GLE 450 2020) for more than 2 years, it has been the best car I have owned, flaws and all, and I recommend it without reservation, if you can afford it.

If you try the X5 forum, there will be a few people saying don't buy based on their experiences, which is valid. Same goes for Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. Even the Lexus RX might rate as being very reliable, until you meet an owner that has problems, and he/she will tell you not to buy.

Bottom line, take into consideration comments of those that like the car, those that don't like it, those that have had problem free owner ship, those that have problems riddled ownership, and come up with your own conclusion.

Last edited by SwagMD; 11-26-2022 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 11-26-2022 | 10:43 AM

SUV
Originally Posted by SwagMD
...And in my humble opinion, after owning this car (GLE 450 2020) for more than 2 years, it has been the best car I have owned, flaws and all, and I recommend it without reservation, if you can afford it.
If you try the X5 forum, there will be a few people saying don't buy based on their experiences, which is valid. Same goes for Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. Even the Lexus RX might rate as being very reliable, until you meet an owner that has problems, and he/she will tell you not to buy.
Bottom line, take into consideration comments of those that like the car, those that don't like it, those that have had problem free owner ship, those that have problems riddled ownership, and come up with your own conclusion.
How humble. Are you from Maryland? Lol. Recommend without reservation? Wow. BTW, I and the OP are both on X5 forum. Can you quote some posts that said similar things about the X5? RX with issues? How much you know about Lexus? Maybe Steve can chime in. Lol. You love your car is one thing but this thing is loaded with quality/build issues. It's a great vehicle when it works. But recommending it is like recommending a LR. I personally wouldn't get a GLE or LR unless I have an extra car in my garage.

Last edited by mb2be; 11-26-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 11:36 AM

GLE 450 2020
Originally Posted by mb2be
How humble. Are you from Maryland? Lol. Recommend without reservation? Wow. BTW, I and the OP are both on X5 forum. Can you quote some posts that said similar things about the X5? RX with issues? How much you know about Lexus? Maybe Steve can chime in. Lol. You love your car is one thing but this thing is loaded with quality/build issues. It's a great vehicle when it works. But recommending it is like recommending a LR. I personally wouldn't get a GLE or LR unless I have an extra car in my garage.
Unfortunately, not from Maryland lol.

Yes, recommend whole heartedly based on my experience.

I was between an RX, GLE, Q7 and X5 in 2020 before getting the GLE. I read extensively posts and comments on forums of all these cars. This was in 2018 - 2020 while researching what car to buy next. Not willing to go back and search through those forums to look for the posts/comments as I have not visited those sites since I got the GLE.

Without going into too much back and forth, point is that you not recommending this car based on your experience is VALID.
Me recommending it based on my experience is VALID too.

I understand why you would not recommend them. I'm not shocked that you don't recommend it. Understand that I and a lot of people have had good experiences with these cars and recommend them.

That I can recommend this car does not mean I'll go tell everyone I know that they should buy it. I believe the same should apply to those who do not recommend the car as well. Going out of my way to convince anyone willing to listen to buy this car will raise eyebrows. Going out of my way to bash the car every chance I get will do the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by SwagMD:
mikapen (11-26-2022), TexAg91 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
That I can recommend this car does not mean I'll go tell everyone I know that they should buy it. I believe the same should apply to those who do not recommend the car as well. Going out of my way to convince anyone willing to listen to buy this car will raise eyebrows. Going out of my way to bash the car every chance I get will do the same.
Well said, and I agree.
Brand Bashing or being a Fanboy at every opportunity, pretty much dilutes any message. If there was one.
Old 11-26-2022 | 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580

The fallacy in this argument is what does the preponderance of the evidence show you? Yes you will find people with a Lexus RX that have problems, but all the data will point to the fact that its unusual. With the GLE, the data points to this being more common than you would find with say a Lexus RX.

Its all about how likely are you as a buyer to have a car that has problems, and theres no question you are more likely do experience that when buying a GLE than a Lexus RX. Potential buyers just have to understand that. Even knowing that I would never choose an RX over a GLE, the GLE is just a much better vehicle, but clearly nowhere near as reliable. Life is about tradeoffs.

Originally Posted by mikapen
Well said, and I agree.
Brand Bashing or being a Fanboy at every opportunity, pretty much dilutes any message. If there was one.
You have to ask yourself, why would people bash the car and brand they spent their hard earned money on? The only reason is that they are deeply dissatisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
chassis (11-26-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by SW20S
The fallacy in this argument is what does the preponderance of the evidence show you? Yes you will find people with a Lexus RX that have problems, but all the data will point to the fact that its unusual. With the GLE, the data points to this being more common than you would find with say a Lexus RX.

Its all about how likely are you as a buyer to have a car that has problems, and theres no question you are more likely do experience that when buying a GLE than a Lexus RX. Potential buyers just have to understand that. Even knowing that I would never choose an RX over a GLE, the GLE is just a much better vehicle, but clearly nowhere near as reliable. Life is about tradeoffs.
You have to ask yourself, why would people bash the car and brand they spent their hard earned money on? The only reason is that they are deeply dissatisfied.
The preponderance of evidence is that the GLE has relatively fewer recalls and reported problems than many other brands. Especially t he ones CU puts at the top of their "favorite cupholder" list. Other than that, it's "too little information to assess," which could mean "surprisingly reliable," or anything the media wants to make of it. I haven't seen any actual data, including the CU website.

Why bash a car you've spent hard earned money on" It's a Thing. Called "Buyers Remorse."

I've had two clients who had it bad. One was a Datsun F10 (lousy car but he Loved the Look.) His problem was that he couldn't drive a stick shift, and became enraged (!!!!!) when I or anybody else showed him how. He actually launched himself out of the passenger seat to grab my throat! I pulled the parking brake and exited twhile the car was still stopping, in traffic.
The other was a Volvo 262 Bertone Coupe. I think a neighbor thought it looked strange, and the guy started having every problem in the world. He spilled a drink -The Car's fault. He took every badge off the car including the interior. We bought it back.

Maybe you can help with actual data. we haven't seen it yet. I try to read the links but so far no luck.
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Why bash a car you've spent hard earned money on" It's a Thing. Called "Buyers Remorse."
And why do you think they have buyers remorse? Because their cars have problems and they are disappointed in them.

Maybe you can help with actual data. we haven't seen it yet. I try to read the links but so far no luck.
You're just going to explain away any data I post...but the latest CR rankings are a good data point. They show a significant improvement in 2022 hopefully that trend continues...

Bottom line is, nobody should buy one of these (or any Mercedes) and expect it to be as reliable as a Lexus. I certainly do not expect my S Class to be as reliable as the many Lexus sedans I had before it. But, its a better car in many other ways...like I said life is about tradeoffs.
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:23 PM

Subaru BRZ
And why do you think they have buyers remorse? Because their cars have problems and they are disappointed in them.

You're just going to explain away any data I post...but the latest CR rankings are a good data point. They show a significant improvement in 2022 hopefully that trend continues...

Bottom line is, nobody should buy one of these (or any Mercedes) and expect it to be as reliable as a Lexus. I certainly do not expect my S Class to be as reliable as the many Lexus sedans I had before it. But, its a better car in many other ways...like I said life is about tradeoffs.
Do you have a membership? I couldn't dig in on any of the data without paying.
It wont even let me see the rankings anymore (from the OP's link) after I looked a few times, sigh.
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Do you have a membership? I couldn't dig in on any of the data without paying.
It wont even let me see the rankings anymore (from the OP's link) after I looked a few times, sigh.
Yep, I do have a membership
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:28 PM

Subaru BRZ
Yep, I do have a membership
Does CR show more data on specifically what people have complained about in terms of reliability? Anything as broad as mechanical vs electrical issues or more specific like particular functions/features not working?
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I agree that CU posted that graphic. The background story can be found on their website and some of their YouTube videos. Check them out.

The complaints that they amplify is the confusion that all but One reviewer had with MBUX, and they all spent time praising the Better Cupholders of the competition, and berating the Fake Vents in mid dash. Very little was said about actual Reliability except that they had insufficient data to make rankings. That's the last I've read or seen from them.

I also wonder, if they don't have enough reliability statistics on '20 and '21 models, why do they think the '22 is "OK"? I doubt there are that many '22s out to make a judgement.
So, what do they base their ratings on? All they specifically mention is "electronics too hard to figure out."
I don't call that a reliability issue, but that's what they say.

Ford had the highest recall rate, Hyundai second. But that's only current year recalls - Hyundai had twice the number of cars recalled (not Recalls, even worse) than they sold last year, but only about 150% this year. An improvement on a horrible record. Why isn't CU swayed by that "reliability" record?
I don't find CU's reliability stats.... "reliable."

Please don't base a buying decision on CU if you like cars or your money. Just my opinion.

Edit: From that same graphic, the V167 was rated "good" for the two years before it was even produced. Those CU folks are really prescient!!!
No wonder so many people click on their reviews. (Yes I know it was "expected," not actual. As in "not actual." That's my point.)

Last edited by mikapen; 11-26-2022 at 04:45 PM. Reason: 2015-2019 models
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
BenjaminKohl (11-28-2022), Billy Padian (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR;[url=tel:8675382
8675382]Does CR show more data on specifically what people have complained about in terms of reliability? Anything as broad as mechanical vs electrical issues or more specific like particular functions/features not working?
They do, but they don’t always have that breakdown for every model.

Originally Posted by mikapen;[url=tel:8675393
8675393]Yes I agree that CU posted that graphic. The background story can be found on their website and some of their YouTube videos. Check them out.

The complaints that they amplify is the confusion that all but One reviewer had with MBUX, and they all spent time praising the Better Cupholders of the competition, and berating the Fake Vents in mid dash. Very little was said about actual Reliability except that they had insufficient data to make rankings. That's the last I've read or seen from them.

I also wonder, if they don't have enough reliability statistics on '20 and '21 models, why do they think the '22 is "OK"? I doubt there are that many '22s out to make a judgement.
So, what do they base their ratings on? All they specifically mention is "electronics too hard to figure out."
I don't call that a reliability issue, but that's what they say.

Ford had the highest recall rate, Hyundai second. But that's only current year recalls - Hyundai had twice the number of cars recalled (not Recalls, even worse) than they sold last year, but only about 150% this year. An improvement on a horrible record. Why isn't CU swayed by that "reliability" record?
I don't find CU's reliability stats.... "reliable."

Please don't base a buying decision on CU if you like cars or your money. Just my opinion.

Edit: From that same graphic, the V167 was rated "good" for the two years before it was even produced. Those CU folks are really prescient!!!
No wonder so many people click on their reviews. (Yes I know it was "expected," not actual. As in "not actual." That's my point.)
You are confusing the two ratings. There is a reliability rating and an owner satisfaction rating, not liking MBUX doesn’t factor into the reliability rating, it factors into the owner satisfaction rating.

And the graphic I posted was reliability ratings for each model year, I have no idea what you’re talking about when You say “they had data two years before the car existed”. I also don’t know what you mean when you say they didn’t have enough data for the first two years, they have ratings for those years, they are poor. The red means a poor rating not no rating.

They sell a lot of these, there are plenty of 2022s on the road.

Of course don’t base your purchase decision on one source of info, but CR and this forum are two sources and to me they back each other up. So, I would take that into account when you decide what to buy.

Last edited by SW20S; 11-26-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
They will have likely referred to the prior GLE with improving quality.

A large number of issues have been related to MBUX in the early years and I am the first one to say that German car brands are terrible on the software side and have a poor record.

Luckily, software can be updated easily unlike prior hardware modules.

But CR is hardly a reference for any car buying decisions.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
You know what, any normal person or corporation would recognize the failings and try to figure out how to fix this crap. But this isn’t normal. This is bury your head in the sand denial and try to sell cars with fancy LED lights to people (like me) who don’t do their research.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-26-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Frenetic;[url=tel:8675509
8675509[/url]]You know what, any normal person or corporation would recognize the failings and try to figure out how to fix this crap. But this isn’t normal. This is bury your head in the sand denial and try to sell cars with fancy LED lights to people (like me) who don’t do their research.
The CR data would lead you to believe that they are working through the issues. We’ll see.
PandaSPUR (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Well, I don’t know how you can draw that conclusion from their data but for their sake, I hope you’re right.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Frenetic;[url=tel:8675523
8675523[/url]]Well, I don’t know how you can draw that conclusion from their data but for their sake, I hope you’re right.
Look at the reliability rating of the 2022 vs the 2020 and 2021.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
Neurobit (11-28-2022), PandaSPUR (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I haven’t seen it. I’ve only looked at the 2022 ratings, which are in the gutter and reflective of my car. What does it say?
Old 11-27-2022 | 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Frenetic;[url=tel:8675525
8675525[/url]]I haven’t seen it. I’ve only looked at the 2022 ratings, which are in the gutter and reflective of my car. What does it say?
I posted them above. 2020 and 2021 were ranked well below average, but 2022 was ranked above average.
BenjaminKohl (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 10:48 AM

SUV
You're being very objective about this whole thing. There we have it. I knew potential problems I may run into but driving the car off the lot with issues on day one? Either MB builds **** GLE, or their quality check department or the MB dealership is ****. This is not a corolla and I don't think that would happen with a corolla either.

It's not. There's no buyers remorse in me. It is what it is. I chose it knowing the potential risk. I like the car for other reasons and may buy it again. Denying this car has issues or saying this thing is dependable is something else. Even the other admitted it was always on the back of his head going on long distance.

Unfortunately, not from Maryland lol.
Of course you're not from Maryland. Hence... "humble." Lol
I was between an RX, GLE, Q7 and X5 in 2020 before getting the GLE. I read extensively posts and comments on forums of all these cars.
I see how much you know about these cars. You haven't even experienced but rather based off what others say and have no back up to back your posted "reliability issues" on other cars.
Without going into too much back and forth, point is that you not recommending this car based on your experience is VALID.
Me recommending it based on my experience is VALID too.
Yeah that's more right to say. I've owned quite a few of those that you mentioned. I do recommend them, including the GLE, for variety of reasons. But not GLE for its reliability. My current X5 has been wonderful and trouble free. But I too don't recommend it at a heartbeat because I know once out of warranty, it can be **** too. But not the RX.
SW20S (11-28-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)