GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 53 AMG Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022 | 02:07 AM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by mikapen
Thanks.
My '21 53 was a Feb build. No problems to date.

I wonder if the S and GLEs have a different run of batteries. Or if they are even the same battery / supplier.
Aren't those two built in different factories? Could definitely be a different supplier or at least separate production runs.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Thanks.
My '21 53 was a Feb build. No problems to date.

I wonder if the S and GLEs have a different run of batteries. Or if they are even the same battery / supplier.
Not sure, but the only reported battery issues on the W223 board were with early model 21's when the car was first delivered, since then its been quieter, no reported 22's on the forum that I know of.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
There’s a Reddit post from what looks like another MB Tech doing a 48-Volt battery replacement on a 2022 GLE 63s. They’re certainly out there. I wouldn’t put much weight on a lack of posts here as representative of anything, especially considering how people who post issues or negative comments tend to get browbeaten and trolled out this forum.

The post also talks about the amount of hours needed to replace coming in at 5 hours. At $200 or more per hour, that’s $1,000+ in just labor to replace that battery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mercedes_be...tm_name=iossmf

Old 11-26-2022 | 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Frenetic
There’s a Reddit post from what looks like another MB Tech doing a 48-Volt battery replacement on a 2022 GLE 63s. They’re certainly out there. I wouldn’t put much weight on a lack of posts here as representative of anything, especially considering how people who post issues or negative comments tend to get browbeaten and trolled out this forum.

The post also talks about the amount of hours needed to replace coming in at 5 hours. At $200 or more per hour, that’s $1,000+ in just labor to replace that battery.

I'm not denying the issue, just saying what I've seen, its been a widespread issue across numerous brands. Audi is also having a large number of 48v issues on their cars and has issued a TSB for those vehicles, I believe JLR vehicles have also had some issues, but they are not large volume vehicles so less reports out there. BMW seems to be catching up as the new X7's which use generation 2 of their 48-volt system are now being reported a lot on the forums with drivetrain errors and no start issues under 1,000 miles. To me it seems like possibly the battery is made by one supplier across different brands? All I know is I have luckily had no issues with the 48v system to date with any of the three vehicles I've had equipped with them.
Old 11-26-2022 | 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
There was a YouTube video that showed how the batteries were made at Mercedes’ Kamenz factory, but strangely it has since been deleted in the past few months (it’s the first video below). I actually watched it a few months ago and it makes me wonder why it was pulled. Simply put, Mercedes has no one to blame for these batteries except themselves. They designed and built the things.

I’m lucky to have another car because I would be hesitant to take this thing on any long road trip. Anyone risk adverse, who understands the issues, would probably feel the same way.

Old 11-26-2022 | 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

I agree that there were battery problems, at least early on - nobody is denying that.

The "5 Hours" comment on the video refers to the Flat Rate scale, not the actual hours to replace. The poster says "i love doing those batteries. pays 5 hours warranty." Meaning - in tech Speak - it takes nowhere near as long as the Flat Rate charts pay for. As he says, it's Under Warranty, so no problems until it's out of warranty.

Since there is still a lot of research continuing, a 48v battery replacement requires additional communication with the Factory, and, as the Reddit poster says, Paperwork is the biggest time consumer.

The battery placement is nearly identical to the W164 and W166 main 12v battery, pretty easy to access. Then of course there's the resetting of things. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flat Rate time is reduced after more data is compiled, and they don't need to pay Techs extra for research.

FWIW, my comment isn't "Browbeating," it's adding additional information. Which I am still willing to do.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-26-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
There was a YouTube video that showed how the batteries were made at Mercedes’ Kamenz factory, but strangely it has since been deleted in the past few months (it’s the first video below). I actually watched it a few months ago and it makes me wonder why it was pulled. Simply put, Mercedes has no one to blame for these batteries except themselves. They designed and built the things.

I’m lucky to have another car because I would be hesitant to take this thing on any long road trip. Anyone risk adverse, who understands the issues, would probably feel the same way.
Truthfully, if you really have that view of the car, you should just sell it and purchase something that brings more joy, GLE coupes are very much in demand and you would easily be able to get close to what you paid for it.

Sometimes in life s*** happens. I always say, man plans, and god laughs. You could buy the most reliable car in the world and still have issues. I once took my mother's brand new Lexus GS on a trip out of state, and got stuck on the side of the highway during a holiday. Doesn't really ruin my perception of Lexus, was more so just bad luck. Wife has over 10,000 miles on the GLE, and she just drove it from Maryland to Florida the past week with no issues. If something happens, that's what AAA and rental cars are for, we try not to fret over what if situations.

For the wife and I, we mainly shop German, typically between BMW, Audi, and Mercedes, and all three vehicles in the class we looked at for the wife have 48-Volt systems, they all pose a risk of failure. If people think the grass is greener on the other side, that's not entirely true. Like I said, lucky for us, we've had no such issues with the CLS, S, or GLE.

Audi Electrical System Malfunction: 48-Volt System
PandaSPUR (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
If you want to buy my car for my loan payoff then I’ll gladly sell it. As much I don’t like this car, I’m not taking the huge loss and I already went over this. I probably wouldn’t be so bitter if it weren’t for insults and attacks that caught me completely off guard when I was originally voicing my displeasure here. It just pissed me off even more at the entire situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-26-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 03:33 PM

Subaru BRZ
If you want to buy my car for my loan payoff then I’ll gladly sell it. As much I don’t like this car, I’m not taking the huge loss and I already went over this. I probably wouldn’t be so bitter if it weren’t for insults and attacks that caught me completely off guard when I was originally voicing my displeasure here. It just pissed me off even more at the entire situation.
Out of genuine curiosity, what issues have you taken the car to the dealership for so far? And what issues remain or are recurring?

I'm hoping my 2023 wont have too many issues, and anything else can just be ironed out in the first few years under warranty.
Old 11-26-2022 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
It's unfortunate that you have negative equity after only 1,500 miles on your car. I hope that's not why you're angry. because most cars depreciate a Bunch after driving off the lot.

Look back at the threads you've started, and your response to those who, before, went out or their way to help new owners of a new model. Your responses caught them "completely off guard," also. Many of them just don't participate any more - the Learning Experience and Fun have been tainted.
I also gave up for a while, but I'm still curious about my car, and have some insight to share, so I'm back.

Recalling your first posts on the Forum, you seemed mostly to be offended that people would actually post on "Your Thread," and you were the Attacker. PM-ing with threats not to post on Your Thread. And the consequences if continued.
A differing opinion seemed to really stoke your fires, and the tenor of the 167 Forum changed dramatically with your arrival.

What really riled you up was people trying to help when you couldn't figure out how to operate functions or find the menu on MBUX, or understand physics. The list of people who tried to enlighten you is long, as is the list of your "attacks" on the those trying to help.
You even modified their posts and put your words in what you presented as "cut and pasted," but weren't. And arguing with those posts as if they were real.

I think Everybody and their Brother knows that you hate your car and the financial bind it's put you in. It's common knowledge. We hear you.
How about waiting a week before telling us again?

I agree with @haibieb let's quit this and talk about the cars.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-26-2022 at 03:50 PM.
haibieb (11-29-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I’ve been to the dealer three times since I purchased the car in July. That’s what, once almost every month, and I hate going to the dealership, and every time I go no loaner was available.. It’s like going to the dentist. The sheer number of visits this early in ownership has immensely pissed me off for the inconvenience.

1. LKA will randomly activate even though it is off. This jerks the steering wheel even though I have LKA off and I’m using the blinker. I consider this dangerous. The dealer has not been able to reproduce this.
2. Buzzing sound from the headliner. It’s loud and freaking annoying. The dealer has not been able to fix this and god damn I hate it and I’m going to bring it up every time I go back to that god foresaken dealership.
3. Transmission clunking and hesitating. The dealer has told me that it’s “learning” and won’t do anything. I intend to bring this issue up again on my fourth visit.
4. Five different interior rattles. One was fixed but FOUR more showed up. You have no freaking idea how annoying these rattles are for a car that cost me over $100k. The dealership kept my car for three days to find the first rattle. Give me a break. It’s like a rattle orchestra in my car with a background buzz ensemble. I’m sure I’ll lose my car for a month while they hunt down the other rattles.
5. Low coolant warning. Dealer topped off and it hasn’t come back. However, I continue to smell coolant after shutdown.
6. Tire skipping on large turns. This is apparently designed into the car, but it’s annoying.
7. Windshield wipers skipping and streaking. I applied bar keepers friend and glass polish and it improved.
8. Random idle shaking on startup. My entire car will shake on startup and go away once I place it in gear.

Old 11-26-2022 | 05:36 PM

Subaru BRZ
I’ve been to the dealer three times since I purchased the car in July. That’s what, once almost every month, and I hate going to the dealership, and every time I go no loaner was available.. It’s like going to the dentist. The sheer number of visits this early in ownership has immensely pissed me off for the inconvenience.

1. LKA will randomly activate even though it is off. This jerks the steering wheel even though I have LKA off and I’m using the blinker. I consider this dangerous. The dealer has not been able to reproduce this.
2. Buzzing sound from the headliner. It’s loud and freaking annoying. The dealer has not been able to fix this and god damn I hate it and I’m going to bring it up every time I go back to that god foresaken dealership.
3. Transmission clunking and hesitating. The dealer has told me that it’s “learning” and won’t do anything. I intend to bring this issue up again on my fourth visit.
4. Five different interior rattles. One was fixed but FOUR more showed up. You have no freaking idea how annoying these rattles are for a car that cost me over $100k. The dealership kept my car for three days to find the first rattle. Give me a break. It’s like a rattle orchestra in my car with a background buzz ensemble. I’m sure I’ll lose my car for a month while they hunt down the other rattles.
5. Low coolant warning. Dealer topped off and it hasn’t come back. However, I continue to smell coolant after shutdown.
6. Tire skipping on large turns. This is apparently designed into the car, but it’s annoying.
7. Windshield wipers skipping and streaking. I applied bar keepers friend and glass polish and it improved.
8. Random idle shaking on startup. My entire car will shake on startup and go away once I place it in gear.
Maybe time to pursue lemon law and force MB to buy it back? It would get you out of that car without a massive loss.
Old 11-26-2022 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Maybe time to pursue lemon law and force MB to buy it back? It would get you out of that car without a massive loss.
I haven’t hit that legal threshold yet, but I’m keeping track. And I’ll hire an attorney just so they have to pay legal fees unless they proactively do something.
Old 11-26-2022 | 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Unless the car has been in the shop for extended periods of time I can't see any reason for a lemon law buy back. Strongly suggest to visit another dealer that is more attentive to your complains.

That said, a couple of these items seem to be nuisance issues or you having different expectations. We have had a number of AMG's and never had one that doesn't have some kind of rattles or noises. All part of the package

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-26-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 06:59 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Unless the car has been in the shop for extended periods of time I can't see any reason for a lemon law buy back. Strongly suggest to visit another dealer that is more attentive to your complains.

That said, a couple of these items seem to nuisance issues or you having different expectations. We have had a number of AMG's and never had one that has some kind of rattles or noises. All part of the package
I am real curious to see what rattles I'll even notice in my incoming GLE.

People always complained that the Subaru BRZ was a rattle trap (and Subarus in general..) but I've noticed nothing in mine lol. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these things (luckily?).

The only serious issue I'm worried about is the 48V battery. It would be really inconvenient if that happened during a road trip, either for business or pleasure.
Old 11-26-2022 | 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

I am real curious to see what rattles I'll even notice in my incoming GLE.

People always complained that the Subaru BRZ was a rattle trap (and Subarus in general..) but I've noticed nothing in mine lol. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these things (luckily?).

The only serious issue I'm worried about is the 48V battery. It would be really inconvenient if that happened during a road trip, either for business or pleasure.
Just edited my post. Meant to say that all our AMG's rattled. Partly due to the stiff suspensions, the MCT transmission which the 53 doesn't have is dramatically rougher. While those would be complaints for some, AMG's aren't for everyone either.
Old 11-26-2022 | 07:16 PM

Subaru BRZ
Just edited my post. Meant to say that all our AMG's rattled. Partly due to the stiff suspensions, the MCT transmission which the 53 doesn't have is dramatically rougher. While those would be complaints for some, AMG's aren't for everyone either.
That's what I assumed you meant.

I think a lot of this is MB's own marketing working against them. They're attracting a lot of owners that aren't used to sports cars to an SUV thats been tuned to be more like a sports car.
Doesn't help that they stopped offering the GLE Coupe in non-AMG form in the US in the past couple of years.

Maybe I'll start a thread to log my experience with my 63 once it arrives in the spring.
mikapen (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022 | 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

That's what I assumed you meant.

I think a lot of this is MB's own marketing working against them. They're attracting a lot of owners that aren't used to sports cars to an SUV thats been tuned to be more like a sports car.
Doesn't help that they stopped offering the GLE Coupe in non-AMG form in the US in the past couple of years.

Maybe I'll start a thread to log my experience with my 63 once it arrives in the spring.
A reason why much of the AMG customer experience isn't easily visible is the fact that all AMG models have their dedicated AMG forum:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gl...w166-w167-213/
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Are you saying that my car is rattling because it’s an AMG? Can anyone else with an AMG reinforce his arguments and agree that is acceptable?
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:20 PM

Subaru BRZ
A reason why much of the AMG customer experience isn't easily visible is the fact that all AMG models have their dedicated AMG forum:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gl...w166-w167-213/
Yea I've been digging through that section too as part of my research and prep, but it has much less traffic and content so I've been in this section more.

Are you saying that my car is rattling because it’s an AMG? Can anyone else with an AMG reinforce his arguments and agree that is acceptable?
He's saying all of his AMGs have rattled. Quit picking fights.

To me, it makes sense someone would experience more rattles in an AMG because of the stiffer suspension. If all else is equal (road condition, weather, car condition, etc) and you compare a GLE450 to a GLE53, the 53 will probably produce more rattles.

Can you grab a video of said rattles? Im curious, and it'd help your dealership find em anyway.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I’m not picking fights. I’m asking if that is acceptable? Is it? Are you saying all Porsches should rattle. All M’s should rattle? They don’t. That’s why I asked.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To me, it makes sense someone would experience more rattles in an AMG because of the stiffer suspension. If all else is equal (road condition, weather, car condition, etc) and you compare a GLE450 to a GLE53, the 53 will probably produce more rattles.
There's a large difference between W166 and V167 AMG suspensions, and for that matter, the chassis is significantly stiffer.

Last Gen AMG suspensions were rock solid (aka Hard), and Sport+ would almost shake fillings.
I never spent much time in one except for a couple of extended test drives, but I had Rattles in the back of my mind.

The new 167 AMG now has a firm but supple (softer) suspension, and, combined with the better chassis, should evoke fewer rattles. I think the 167 handles better than the 166, because of he above.

I've had 2 + 2 rattles in 20,000 miles.
First two- steering column, replacement part; loose wiring cable near sunroof switch, secured.

Second two- Wife had quarters saved in a cassette case in the glove box, turned on edge; the wheel locks rattled in their case by the spare, stuck M-B white gloves in the case and shut it.
I guess you could say I'm sensitive to rattles.

I use Sport+ regularly. Including track work.
​​​​​​And I also use Trail regularly, sometimes hustling along Forest Service roads.

​​​​​​We still comment on how tight the car feels. So far so good.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-26-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 11:17 PM

Subaru BRZ
I’m not picking fights. I’m asking if that is acceptable? Is it? Are you saying all Porsches should rattle. All M’s should rattle? They don’t. That’s why I asked.
From some random googling, 911s and X6Ms both rattle plenty apparently.

I don't think any of us are telling you what you should find acceptable. Rattles are just part of reality imo. Some cars are worse than others, some people are more sensitive to it than others. Makes it really hard to compare whats acceptable when just typing on a forum.

There's a large difference between W166 and V167 AMG suspensions, and for that matter, the chassis is significantly stiffer.

Last Gen AMG suspensions were rock solid (aka Hard), and Sport+ would almost shake fillings.
I never spent much time in one except for a couple of extended test drives, but I had Rattles in the back of my mind.

The new 167 AMG now has a firm but supple (softer) suspension, and, combined with the better chassis, should evoke fewer rattles. I think the 167 handles better than the 166, because of he above.

I've had 2 + 2 rattles in 20,000 miles.
First two- steering column, replacement part; loose wiring cable near sunroof switch, secured.

Second two- Wife had quarters saved in a cassette case in the glove box, turned on edge; the wheel locks rattled in their case by the spare, stuck M-B white gloves in the case and shut it.
I guess you could say I'm sensitive to rattles.

I use Sport+ regularly. Including track work.
​​​​​​And I also use Trail regularly, sometimes hustling along Forest Service roads.

​​​​​​We still comment on how tight the car feels. So far so good.
I think for me, if something rattles regularly... my mind tunes it out. Then again, theres so much road noise and noise in general in my BRZ's cabin that its a bad comparison. I gotta wait to get my GLE then I can provide some useful opinions.
Old 11-26-2022 | 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Ok, so other cars rattle. Is it any less acceptable or only AMG cars are allowed to rattle? My car has five different interior rattles. How does any of this make it acceptable vis a vis Wolfman?
chassis (11-26-2022)
Old 11-27-2022 | 12:02 AM

Subaru BRZ
Ok, so other cars rattle. Is it any less acceptable or only AMG cars are allowed to rattle? My car has five different interior rattles. How does any of this make it acceptable vis a vis Wolfman?
I already said none of us are telling you what you should find acceptable.

What exactly do you want from the other members here? Direct your anger and energy at MBUSA, none of us here can make this right for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by PandaSPUR:
js_cls (11-27-2022), mikapen (11-27-2022), SwagMD (11-27-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 53 AMG Reliability