GLE 53 AMG Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2022 | 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Are you saying that my car is rattling because it’s an AMG? Can anyone else with an AMG reinforce his arguments and agree that is acceptable?
Most performance cars exhibit some annoying rattles but much is due to the stiff chassis/suspension. It's normal and few if anyone cares. Some are worse than others. Our E63s drove like a brick in any mode. Lots of noises including the seatbelt buckle hitting the side of the performance seats on the passenger side. Add some felt, issue resolved.
Our AMG GTC makes all kinds of noises and to some extend is better for it. Our BMW M8 Comp. is pretty solid but annoyingly quiet. This is literally the biggest complaint about the car. It's too well insulated, coupled with a just OK performance exhaust. I miss the immersive AMG exhaust which fills the interior and adds to the driving enjoyment.

Point is if some of these things are not expected, they can be a real nuisance but this is to some extend the experience you buy when getting an AMG. Granted, the 53 models are more civil with their slush box transmissions and lately AMG has softened the suspension settings but ultimately I look for a raw performance car feel. Don't expect to an AMG to ever drive like a luxury car, smooth and insulated.

Since personal opinions vary on reviews and posts, nothing beats a test drive and buying a car without any prior experience can make for big surprises. A couple neighbors unloaded their new cars quickly after just a few weeks because of such miss in expectations. Doesn't mean there was an issue with the car.

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-27-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2022 | 04:34 PM

Subaru BRZ
I think we also need to remember that regardless of what specific trim you bought, the GLE at its base is a 56k car. The higher trims add options, a different engine, etc, but the base of the whole thing is still a 56k car. Temper your expectations based on that.
Old 11-27-2022 | 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Most performance cars exhibit some annoying rattles but much is due to the stiff chassis/suspension. It's normal and few if anyone cares. Some are worse than others. Our E63s drove like a brick in any mode. Lots of noises including the seatbelt buckle hitting the side of the performance seats on the passenger side. Add some felt, issue resolved.
Our AMG GTC makes all kinds of noises and to some extend is better for it. Our BMW M8 Comp. is pretty solid but annoyingly quiet. This is literally the biggest complaint about the car. It's too well insulated, coupled with a just OK performance exhaust. I miss the immersive AMG exhaust which fills the interior and adds to the driving enjoyment.

Point is if some of these things are not expected, they can be a real nuisance but this is to some extend the experience you buy when getting an AMG. Granted, the 53 models are more civil with their slush box transmissions and lately AMG has softened the suspension settings but ultimately I look for a raw performance car feel. Don't expect to an AMG to ever drive like a luxury car, smooth and insulated.

Since personal opinions vary on reviews and posts, nothing beats a test drive and buying a car without any prior experience can make for big surprises. A couple neighbors unloaded their new cars quickly after just a few weeks because of such miss in expectations. Doesn't mean there was an issue with the car.
The V167 AMG models are very quiet inside and ride like the GLE 450 in Sport mode….not harsh, IMO. The GLE 450 was boaty in C mode and a lot of people thought it was too soft so we ran the 450 in Sport or I mode with the suspension set to Sport. Most members with a rattle (that bothered us) would fix it or have the Dealer do it. There is an older post on this forum of a Dealer removing the dash to fix a rattle. Another person found that the latch on the rear cargo door needed aligned. There are a lot of posts about satisfactory resolutions.

How you present your issue and how you identify it might go a long way toward getting a satisfactory resolution at the Dealer. There can’t be that many Mercedes Dealers that offer poor service. We usually get a survey rating the Dealer after a visit. Mercedes customer service might escalate a complaint if a Dealer is unreasonable, but for the most part they are PR people. I don’t buy the poor Dealer characterization presented by some.

There is over 3 1/2 years of information on the V167 Forum with answers or suggestions covering many issues. If a person is interested in help that’s the place to start with a search. I’m a little disappointed that people are allowed to continually bash the Mercedes vehicles with little if anything to back up their claims. Don’t have time to go to the Dealer…Dealer won’t fix my issue…Mercedes Dealers are Scum..seem to be a cop out and make you wonder!
If you go back to the beginning of the V167 Forum it has been the same 3, now 4 people bashing the Brand…short on facts…long on opinions!
The following users liked this post:
Ttmmuurrpphh (01-15-2024)
Old 11-27-2022 | 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Ok, so other cars rattle. Is it any less acceptable or only AMG cars are allowed to rattle? My car has five different interior rattles. How does any of this make it acceptable vis a vis Wolfman?
Five rattles??? How can you tell to count with that number. Since you know them that well let’s see your Service Invoice on what you reported and the Dealer attempt or non attempt to fix them.