GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

How to check oil level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 GLE 450
How to check oil level

Owners manual says to go to service menu. Where?
Old 04-05-2023, 02:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I found out it's available on the left side of the steering wheel controls.

Whoever at Mercedes designed the belly pan....please do the world a favor and honorably quit the car business. Go bag groceries...be a professional dog walker...a garbage picker. You're not smart and considerable enough to make it in this car stuff. You suck.
The following 2 users liked this post by EL-34:
E55Greasemonkey (04-05-2023), nguyensteve (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by EL-34
I found out it's available on the left side of the steering wheel controls.

Whoever at Mercedes designed the belly pan....please do the world a favor and honorably quit the car business. Go bag groceries...be a professional dog walker...a garbage picker. You're not smart and considerable enough to make it in this car stuff. You suck.
​​​​​​Can you be more specific?
​​​​​​Do you mean oil pan, or the drain mechanism?
​​​​​​Or the aero cover?
​​​​​​ Thanks.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLE450 / 2008 C300
Originally Posted by EL-34
Owners manual says to go to service menu. Where?
On the center display of the main display on my 2021 GLE 450, probably similar on other models.

Use left thumb lever on steering wheel to reveal choices for center display, and select Service with thumb pad. Under Service there is a menu of choices, including tires, coolant level and oil level. Use the thumb pad to scroll to your choice - and be aware that OIL LEVEL DOES NOT SHOW UP ON INITIAL LIST (don't remember if coolant level does or not) you need to scroll down to find and select it.

As often complained about on this Forum, the design and labelling of the graphics, menus and choices on the displays is often cumbersome, confusing and illogical. This is an example. Took me over a year to figure out I had to scroll down to find the Oil Level because it didn't show on the first screen under Service. Stumbled across it on a long drive while I fiddled with every available setting and option on the various displays (while the vehicle basically drove itself down the freeway).

And regarding the oil level, I also learned something else: It is not believable. After discovering the oil level indicator I checked it occasionally, and it once showed the level was halfway below Max and Min (or whatever they label those lines as). I presumed that meant it was down a quart, added a quart and some time later the level indicator went to Max. All good I thought. Several hundred miles later the level showed again to be halfway between Min and Max. So I added another quart. Level raised next time I checked, so I thought I had figured it out. Had the oil changed, reported issue to MB service and they had no idea what the problem might be (and didn't offer the advice I'm about to give you) and didn't see any evidence of oil leak. Skip ahead some weeks and the level went down, I added a quart and then several days later the gauge showed OVERFULL. Yikes! I quickly researched that issue and learned that can be a major problem. Called 3 different MB dealers and none could get me in for weeks (during Covid). I found a local foreign car mechanic who could see me right away and he drained a quart of oil - and the oil level gauge returned to MAX. I then poured through the owner's manual and don't remember finding anything helpful, except to learn that there is a WARNNG that will appear whey you need to ADD OIL. So from now on I'm ignoring the oil level gauge (other than to be amused about the indicator going up and down for reasons I don't understand) and will only respond when I get warned to add oil.

And as a footnote also discussed here in other threads, there is NO dipstick on this model (and other newer MB's as well) to verify what the electronic display tells you.
The following users liked this post:
ddeliber (04-07-2023)