GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Does the hybrid battery keep the 12V battery charged?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 05:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
'22 GLE 350e
Does the hybrid battery keep the 12V battery charged?

As I'm going to be using the GLE to go camping, there'll be a compressor fridge in it. This takes about 2.5A when it's running, how much it's running depends on outside temp and set temp.
I've already rewired the loadspace 12V plug to be permanently live for the fridge. It works well, and has run the fridge overnight before. (Let me know if anyone wants details, I took some pictures, super simple mod)

My concern is more when parked up 2-3 days. On my Range Rover, it'd drain the 100Ah battery to no-start (when set to the low voltage battery protection setting) in 3ish days.

Now, aside from already having two 12V batteries, the GLE 350e is also dragging around 33kWh of hybrid battery. And it has to be charging the 12V battery while driving on pure electric, or it'd be dead in pretty short order.
But does it also do that when parked? Or do I need to "start" it to let it charge, and if so, how fast would that go?
Old 06-17-2023, 09:44 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
We've used the Jackery 500 and it's lasted at least a day for the fridge.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portable-power-stations.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 w212, 2018 W166, 2024 v167
Frozen bottle of water

Originally Posted by elbekko
As I'm going to be using the GLE to go camping, there'll be a compressor fridge in it. This takes about 2.5A when it's running, how much it's running depends on outside temp and set temp.
I've already rewired the loadspace 12V plug to be permanently live for the fridge. It works well, and has run the fridge overnight before. (Let me know if anyone wants details, I took some pictures, super simple mod)

My concern is more when parked up 2-3 days. On my Range Rover, it'd drain the 100Ah battery to no-start (when set to the low voltage battery protection setting) in 3ish days.

Now, aside from already having two 12V batteries, the GLE 350e is also dragging around 33kWh of hybrid battery. And it has to be charging the 12V battery while driving on pure electric, or it'd be dead in pretty short order.
But does it also do that when parked? Or do I need to "start" it to let it charge, and if so, how fast would that go?

freeze a case of bottled water use that in cooler to preserve food. as it melts use melted ice to drink or cook ..
Old 06-20-2023, 01:34 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
We've used the Jackery 500 and it's lasted at least a day for the fridge.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portable-power-stations.
Well, the whole point of this thread is that I'm already lugging around 33 kWh of battery, so I'd prefer to not take even more with me.

Looks like I might have to do some experimentation to find out.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:00 PM

'22 GLE 350e
So, just to update this.
I can confirm the hybrid battery does indeed charge the 12V battery. It seems to do this whenever the car is "awake", as in just opened a door etc, as well as when driving.
I've been able to confirm this with the battery voltage display on the fridge I'm using (Alpicool T50), showing 13V+ after a night of running.
The following users liked this post:
EXTRAOLD (08-02-2023)