GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Is the Drivers Assistance package available after market

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 130 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
If you get the DA2 PKG/P20 Drivers assistant package, you instead get option 233 Distronic PLUS and code 266 Active Steering Assist. The base radar is replaced with a long distance radar, you get additional cameras, and the 3D badge on the front is replaced with a 2D flush badge with the star painted on, so as to not mess with the more intense radar. This is not compatible with the illuminated star on the GLE.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is the system that acts as a co-pilot in the car. We are easily distracted by the all electronics in these cars. It becomes a safety feature. I would not own a car without it.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 677 Likes on 502 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Just to be clear there are two different radar systems. The base cars get the base radar, intended for the auto emergency braking, this is also the radar used for option 239 Distronic, also called distronic pro, which is not an option in the US but is an option in some markets. If you get ACC coded in, this is what you get. This is compatible with the illuminated star.

If you get the DA2 PKG/P20 Drivers assistant package, you instead get option 233 Distronic PLUS and code 266 Active Steering Assist. The base radar is replaced with a long distance radar, you get additional cameras, and the 3D badge on the front is replaced with a 2D flush badge with the star painted on, so as to not mess with the more intense radar. This is not compatible with the illuminated star on the GLE.
Very helpful! Just some further tidbits to help clarify the various features and their capabilities:

Straight from Mercedes:

DISTRONIC is the basic adaptive cruise control system. Although it’s identical to DISTRONIC PLUS in most respects, DISTRONIC will not bring you to a complete halt. Rather, the feature will pass control back to the driver when your speed drops below 15-20 mph.

DISTRONIC PLUS stays active, even if your speed drops to zero. In general, while DISTRONIC might be offered as a standalone feature, DISTRONIC PLUS is usually offered as part of the Driving Assistance package.

DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist offers even more advanced convenience. In addition to controlling your speed and follow-distance, this technology keeps track of road lines and limits, along with other vehicles in your periphery. If you start to exit your lane by accident, or try to merge into an occupied space, the feature will intervene to keep you centered.

​​​​​​And this article does a concise dive into the history of the various systems MB offers, definitely worth a quick read if you want a better understanding of each system and their capabilities; it provides even more useful info than just the above from MB

Last edited by wildta; 06-29-2023 at 10:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wildta:
djgiovanni (06-29-2023), MBguy013 (06-29-2023), mikapen (06-29-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:59 AM
SPONSOR

Received 89 Likes on 37 Posts
AMG C63 2019 AMG C43 2024 RS7 2016
Originally Posted by wildta
Very helpful! Just some further tidbits to help clarify the various features and their capabilities:

Straight from Mercedes:

DISTRONIC is the basic adaptive cruise control system. Although it’s identical to DISTRONIC PLUS in most respects, DISTRONIC will not bring you to a complete halt. Rather, the feature will pass control back to the driver when your speed drops below 15-20 mph.

DISTRONIC PLUS stays active, even if your speed drops to zero. In general, while DISTRONIC might be offered as a standalone feature, DISTRONIC PLUS is usually offered as part of the Driving Assistance package.

DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist offers even more advanced convenience. In addition to controlling your speed and follow-distance, this technology keeps track of road lines and limits, along with other vehicles in your periphery. If you start to exit your lane by accident, or try to merge into an occupied space, the feature will intervene to keep you centered.

​​​​​​And this article does a concise dive into the history of the various systems MB offers, definitely worth a quick read if you want a better understanding of each system and their capabilities; it provides even more useful info than just the above from MB
Distronic is cruise control only

Distronic Pro is standalone adaptive cruise control & it does bring the vehilce to a complete stop
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 02:04 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
Originally Posted by rjautomotive
Distronic is cruise control only

Distronic Pro is standalone adaptive cruise control & it does bring the vehilce to a complete stop
Whatever you did to my car it does come to a complete stop .
Old 07-03-2023, 03:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 Lexus LC500, 2020 GLE350 4Matic, 2005 Jeep Wrangler
It appears that all 2020 and newer GLE's come with the ability to "activate" basic Distronic. My question: if I purchase a replacement steering wheel that has the Distronic button on the steering wheel, can I simply have the coding performed to activate it?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:30 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by pgolfco
It appears that all 2020 and newer GLE's come with the ability to "activate" basic Distronic. My question: if I purchase a replacement steering wheel that has the Distronic button on the steering wheel, can I simply have the coding performed to activate it?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Check with rjautomotive.net. They can do the coding, remotely, and provide replacment parts for steering wheel - no need to replace entire wheel.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
1987 260E & 2013 E350 Sport
You would think Distronic (At least BASIC adaptive cruise control) would be standard on every model from the company that debuted it over 20 years ago. You have to go to Toyota for that.

It would be cool to get basic adaptive cruise control retrofitted for my next car. Especially considering that right now, in 2023, only 50 out of 232 new cars in stock at my local dealer have the feature. My bro's Lexus has it, and it's makes driving long distances a lot easier.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:13 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
The first world luxuries we have when buying premium vehicles. They get to nickel and dime us up death!
The following users liked this post:
ath20 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by ath20
You would think Distronic (At least BASIC adaptive cruise control) would be standard on every model from the company that debuted it over 20 years ago. You have to go to Toyota for that.

It would be cool to get basic adaptive cruise control retrofitted for my next car. Especially considering that right now, in 2023, only 50 out of 232 new cars in stock at my local dealer have the feature. My bro's Lexus has it, and it's makes driving long distances a lot easier.
to be fair, for the most part those Japanese brands like toyota and Lexus don’t have blind spot standard while all US MBs and most German cars in general do have it standard, which I think is a more important safety feature. ACC is more of a nice luxury/convenience feature. Also, generally the euro brands ACC are better then the German brands’ in my experience. But it would be nice if at least basic ACC was standard, which is what Audi is doing now.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
‘23 AMG 53
Inquiring if anyone has successfully done this retrofit. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
Bumping an old post to see if anyone has retro fitted Distonic Plus with steering assist/lane assist vs Distronic Pro?
Old 07-15-2024, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 201 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
to be fair, for the most part those Japanese brands like toyota and Lexus don’t have blind spot standard while all US MBs and most German cars in general do have it standard, which I think is a more important safety feature. ACC is more of a nice luxury/convenience feature. Also, generally the euro brands ACC are better then the German brands’ in my experience. But it would be nice if at least basic ACC was standard, which is what Audi is doing now.
Aren’t the German brands the Euro brands?
Old 07-15-2024, 06:37 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
Just to be clear there are two different radar systems. The base cars get the base radar, intended for the auto emergency braking, this is also the radar used for option 239 Distronic, also called distronic pro, which is not an option in the US but is an option in some markets. If you get ACC coded in, this is what you get. This is compatible with the illuminated star.

If you get the DA2 PKG/P20 Drivers assistant package, you instead get option 233 Disetronic PLUS and code 266 Active Steering Assist. The base radar is replaced with a long distance radar, you get additional cameras, and the 3D badge on the front is replaced with a 2D flush badge with the star painted on, so as to not mess with the more intense radar. This is not compatible with the illuminated star on the GLE.
yeah, when I got my car, I thought something was wrong with my illuminated Star because it wasn't on. Turned out I had the package. I rarely us it because peeps in Phoenix are rather dangerous drivers. but when I get out to the country or travel out of the state on long road trips, it useful.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
Am I missing something? Distronic Plus should be able to retrofit. My GLE has the 2 windshield cameras and blindspot system, parking assist etc. On top of replacing the steering wheel button, could you not just replace the short range radar to long range along with the emblem and code in Plus?

Last edited by Kevink15; 07-15-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 677 Likes on 502 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Kevink15
Am I missing something? Distronic Plus should be able to retrofit. My GLE has the 2 windshield cameras and blindspot system, parking assist etc. On top of replacing the steering wheel button, could you not just replace the short range radar to long range along with the emblem and code in Plus?
You'll also need a decent amount of programming to get it functional and it might be difficult to source the parts.