GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

MB GLE 350d, 2021 - loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350d 7 seater - 2021
MB GLE 350d, 2021 - loosing coolant

Hello, I've got my GLE350d 7 seater back in Jan23 (used) and after 3 months, i noticed an oil leak. Took it back to the dealer (still under warranty till Oct24) and they found an issue with the head gasket which was replaced
Soon after, as i was driving up the hill, suddenly the car dashboard went red and message stated that the car was overheated and i had to stop to cool the engine. Called RAC, they check the the coolant was low and had to top up.
They also check the coolant system by pressurizing it and no leakage was detected.
Book the car back to the same dealer (Glasgow Giffnock - Scotland), the dealer replaced the fan
one month later same place, same issue, no warning that the coolant was low ( I only passed 2000ml since Jan23 hence took time for the second episode)
RAC came and this time they put the car on a truck and took it to the local recovery place, Mercedes Glasgow. This time they replaced the expansion coolant tank cap.
Soon after got a new message - Low coolant level. . Again RAC took the car back to Mercedes Glasgow garage. This time they replaced the coolant tank and the cap

Again on 27Sep23, after some driving time around 45ml, providing that i checked the coolant level and it was fine, next morning 28Sep23, in the morning got into the car to go to work, guess what, same message Low coolant level
added water (did not have any coolant) it took just over 1.5l to top up . so after driving 45ml the day before, next morning 1.5l were gone. RAC again paid a visit and they already know why i was calling them. all along they were saying that either the thermostat may not be working or waters gets into the engine, or the engine builds up a high pressure which then the coolant overflows form the explanation thank. The cap has a spring that allows for overflow in case of huge pressure which i think this is what it is happening but the question is where this pressure comes from? does the gasket change had to the with this?

I asked the dealer for previous history of the car and they only have one recorded for tire puncher but no major issues or anything to do with coolant

the car is back the 1st dealer (giffnock) and i am not sure what they are going to do now but decided to put this case in this forum and try understand what on earth is going on with my car.
thank you in advance for any suggestions

Last edited by v7eto; 10-01-2023 at 09:53 AM.