GLE 450 AIRMATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE 350
GLE 450 AIRMATIC

Hello
Can anyone advise on the benefits and reliability of upgrading to the Airmatic suspension vs the regular springs on a 2024 GLE 450. Is it worth it and is there a noticeable advantage . Has anyone had issues with reliability/defect with the airmatic. Most advise against getting it because of poor reliability and expensive repair.
Thank you
Old 10-16-2023, 12:03 AM

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by AMMBGLE
Hello
Can anyone advise on the benefits and reliability of upgrading to the Airmatic suspension vs the regular springs on a 2024 GLE 450. Is it worth it and is there a noticeable advantage . Has anyone had issues with reliability/defect with the airmatic. Most advise against getting it because of poor reliability and expensive repair.
Thank you
disclaimer - I’m still waiting for my car to be built, so the following is a summary of my research on this and some other forums. I did order with AIRMATIC and won’t take delivery if MB takes it off the order.

It’s important to me. If I can’t get it on GLE, I’ll likely be looking again at X5 with air suspension, which is also hard to get, or Cayenne.

benefits:

* While it’s subjective, more people report more comfortable ride with AIRMATIC
* you can lift the car if you venture off paved road, go into a park without well maintained roads, need to break out of show banks etc.
* you can lower the car and make the suspension stiffer in Sport mode to reduce body roll or if you prefer a stiffer ride

cons:
* shorter life span. As per my research, after 5 years is when people typically see issues. Appears to be not MB specific as people on BMW and other forum report similar ranges. I’m sure people who own it here can chime in too.
* higher repair cost. To me, it’s a somewhat expected. You are buying something more complex and the vehicle is not cheap, so higher maintenance cost is just something that comes with it.

Last edited by stktyz33; 10-16-2023 at 12:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stktyz33:
AMMBGLE (10-16-2023), EndenDragon (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 GLE450, 2020 SL450, 1988 560SL, 2013 ML350-sold, 1999 ML-sold
Originally Posted by stktyz33
disclaimer - I’m still waiting for my car to be built, so the following is a summary of my research on this and some other forums. I did order with AIRMATIC and won’t take delivery if MB takes it off the order.

It’s important to me. If I can’t get it on GLE, I’ll likely be looking again at X5 with air suspension, which is also hard to get, or Cayenne.

benefits:

* While it’s subjective, more people report more comfortable ride with AIRMATIC
* you can lift the car if you venture off paved road, go into a park without well maintained roads, need to break out of show banks etc.
* you can lower the car and make the suspension stiffer in Sport mode to reduce body roll or if you prefer a stiffer ride

cons:
* shorter life span. As per my research, after 5 years is when people typically see issues. Appears to be not MB specific as people on BMW and other forum report similar ranges. I’m sure people who own it here can chime in too.
* higher repair cost. To me, it’s a somewhat expected. You are buying something more complex and the vehicle is not cheap, so higher maintenance cost is just something that comes with it.
two dealers have told me if I add to an order will delay delivery. One dealer had customer order in for 1 year to get Airmatic. I choose to not add it. Large repair if out of warranty for one reason. And read a lot about coil overs. And doesn't add that much to resale if any. Since I don't Lan to go off road and my 2024 GLE 450w has a sport option I am very happy with the ride. Rec'd vehicle abt 10 days ago. Was on order since May.
The following users liked this post:
AMMBGLE (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:04 AM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I have it on my 2024 GLE450. I did a long road trip from Florida to Las Vegas and back when I first got the car. I found that the AirMatic suspension provided for an excellent ride. No floating sensation at all. When on the twisty bits in the mountains, the sport setting provided improved handling with little lean on the curves. I lower the car when parking to make entry and exit easier. I also use the car wash setting that raises the car 3 1/2 inches to insure the underside gets cleaned too.

It is difficult to find one on a dealers lot to compare with the base suspension, but I have driven both versions and prefer the AirMatic version.

I can't comment on the long term reliability of the system, but I have had no problems with the car or the suspension in the first 7000 miles.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:56 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE 350
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I have it on my 2024 GLE450. I did a long road trip from Florida to Las Vegas and back when I first got the car. I found that the AirMatic suspension provided for an excellent ride. No floating sensation at all. When on the twisty bits in the mountains, the sport setting provided improved handling with little lean on the curves. I lower the car when parking to make entry and exit easier. I also use the car wash setting that raises the car 3 1/2 inches to insure the underside gets cleaned too.

It is difficult to find one on a dealers lot to compare with the base suspension, but I have driven both versions and prefer the AirMatic version.

I can't comment on the long term reliability of the system, but I have had no problems with the car or the suspension in the first 7000 miles.
I did drive 450 with AMG exterior package which lowers suspension on the steel springs and a truck without the AMG package and the AMG one seemed lower and sportier. Is the Air suspension more sportier ride and less floaty in the sport mode. I was also able to drive a GLS 450 with the airmatic it seemed floaty in the comfort mode but very tight and sporty in the sport mode which I liked a lot. What did you not like about the steel suspension on the GLE with the AMG package?
Old 10-16-2023, 12:05 PM

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by AMMBGLE
I did drive 450 with AMG exterior package which lowers suspension on the steel springs
The external AMG package, in my understanding, doesn't change anything suspension wise. For 2024, it's front/rear fender design, grill, wheels and front brakes by my observation. I didn't see any measurable difference in ground clearance on dealer's cars. Happy to learn it's not the case.
The following 2 users liked this post by stktyz33:
AMMBGLE (10-16-2023), mikapen (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 01:23 PM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
There is no mention of lowered springs in the order guide if you purchase the AMG appearance package with the GLE 450. It does include appearance items and different brakes. The published height for all non AMG (GLE 53, GLE 63) is the same. The one you looked at may have appeared to be lower and sportier because of different wheel/tires.. The Airmatic suspensions does lower the car on the highway as speed increases. The ride is noticeably stiffer in the sport mode with the AirMatic option.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueYonder:
AMMBGLE (10-16-2023), mikapen (10-16-2023)