GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Cell Phone Mount Pics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 12:02 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Cell Phone Mount Pics?

I'm wondering what charging mounts people use in their GLEs (if any)? Photos will be appreciated.

Some context for this question - we currently have dash mounted MagSafe phone holder/charger on our WK2 GC Jeep. We don't have car play, so use the phone for navigation, as a bonus, the phones are always charged and visible, so we almost never forget it in the car. It works.

Now, while GLE has wireless charging pad and CarPlay, IMHO, it's in pretty awkward location and out of sight. It's better than on X5, where we constantly struggled to get the phone in/out when cup holders were in use and often had to come back to the car to retrieve it as it was so easy to forget. It's likely that we can get something mounted on the vent closer to the driver but it's not clear if it's going to obstruct the view of MBUX display.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:20 PM

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I keep it on the charging pad. CarPlay gives me the functions I need while driving. No reason to pick up or look at the phone while driving. If I leave it on the pad while exiting, the car reminds me that I have left the cellphone behind.
The following users liked this post:
stktyz33 (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 02:42 PM

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
You can use the ProClip mount on the vent if you really want to have your phone out. You do need to keep the phone in horizontal position to stop it from blocking your view. It is a bit expensive as you do need the vent mount and the phone mount separately.
Or, if I where you, just let the phone connected to the car and use Carplay (or Android Auto in my case)
stktyz33 (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 03:52 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
You can use the ProClip mount on the vent if you really want to have your phone out. You do need to keep the phone in horizontal position to stop it from blocking your view. It is a bit expensive as you do need the vent mount and the phone mount separately.
Or, if I where you, just let the phone connected to the car and use Carplay (or Android Auto in my case)
Thanks. We plan to use CarPlay, it's the location of the charging pad that can be a bit challenging.

Granted, we are still waiting for our GLE to be built and delivered, so my concerns are mostly based on X5s we had for a few weeks that had the charging pad in a similar location. You put a couple of Starbucks cups into the holder and you need to do some awkward manipulations to put the phone in or get it out. We ended up forgetting the phone most of the time. Yes, X5s had the "reminder" but it was firing inconsistently and was just too quiet when it did, the pad was awful too as you needed surgical precision in positioning your phone. We ended up using CarPlay but still vent-mounted the phone.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:57 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I keep it on the charging pad. CarPlay gives me the functions I need while driving. No reason to pick up or look at the phone while driving. If I leave it on the pad while exiting, the car reminds me that I have left the cellphone behind.
Thanks. How audible is the reminder? Do you have any issues getting the phone in/out with a taller cup in the cupholder that's close to it? If you have an iPhone, how reliable is wireless CarPlay? Does the charging pad work well for you?

Sorry for so many questions, these are hopefully super quick ones.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 439 Posts
MB
When I added a wireless dongle to my MY2020, at the beginning I was forgetting my cell in the wireless charger somewhat often. Overtime though the muscle memory finally kicked in and I stopped forgetting. With short drives, I don't even remove my phone from my pocket at all with wireless. If the drive is longer than 15min though, the wireless AA will start to get your phone pretty warm from transferring data so that's usually when I'll pop it out of my pocket onto the wireless charger. BTW it does not charge much while using wireless AA and the wireless charger. I have a case on my phone so that is probably reducing the power. If I know my drive is longer than 30-40min, I might physically plug my phone in because the wireless charger can get your phone pretty warm. You'll receive the notification that wireless charging has stopped to reduce heat damage. This is why the new Cayenne air conditions your phone while it's on the wireless charger. Pretty neat little feature by PAG.

Last edited by wildta; 11-05-2023 at 12:10 AM.
stktyz33 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:51 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 450​
Wireless carplay is reliable and the charging pad works well.

The audible warning is very apparent. You won't miss it!
stktyz33 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 439 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by EndenDragon
Wireless carplay is reliable and the charging pad works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=njNHMQW2cwI
MY2020 lacks this feature, and I assume that's the same thru 2023. Did they add this in 2024? If so, that's nice.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Thanks. How audible is the reminder? Do you have any issues getting the phone in/out with a taller cup in the cupholder that's close to it? If you have an iPhone, how reliable is wireless CarPlay? Does the charging pad work well for you?

Sorry for so many questions, these are hopefully super quick ones.
I don't really notice if it is difficult to pull the cellphone out if there is a cup in the holder. I don't need to access the phone while driving. My CarPlay automatically connects about 75% of the time. If it doesn't connect, all I have to do is tap the CarPlay button on the screen and it connects. The charging pad works fine.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:32 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by EndenDragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=njNHMQW2cwI
Oh, that does look good. Thank you for the video.

Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I don't really notice if it is difficult to pull the cellphone out if there is a cup in the holder. I don't need to access the phone while driving. My CarPlay automatically connects about 75% of the time. If it doesn't connect, all I have to do is tap the CarPlay button on the screen and it connects. The charging pad works fine.
Thanks. I typically don't need my phone while driving. Typical scenario are short stops or my wife, as a passenger, sending me directions from her Google Maps that require phone manipulations.