GLE 450E Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VOLVO xc60
GLE 450E Questions

Hi
I was looking to order a GLE 450e phev. I had a few questions but the SA didn't know the answers confidentially. 1st for the hvac, is it a heat pump system or an electric heater or both? 2nd does it use the ice for heat at all with the heater core? 3rd does the car have an electric compressor or pulley driven? 4th is the hv battery heated for the winter and is it actively cooled and if so how?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by DRICH50
Hi
I was looking to order a GLE 450e phev. I had a few questions but the SA didn't know the answers confidentially. 1st for the hvac, is it a heat pump system or an electric heater or both? 2nd does it use the ice for heat at all with the heater core? 3rd does the car have an electric compressor or pulley driven? 4th is the hv battery heated for the winter and is it actively cooled and if so how?
Any help is appreciated.
I can answer 3 — it’s an electrically drive 48v system, no belts. PS, PB, AC all electric, there is a motor generator sandwiched between the engine and transmission that is clutched. The M/G when clutched to the engine acts as a starter, or it can be a load and function as a generator, or it can be a motor and assist the engine. When connected to the 9 speed transmission, it can serve a generator and help slow the vehicle (regenerative braking) or serve as an electric motor to propel the vehicle.

Dont know if it has a heat pump, but I believe it has a heater core as it does have a radiator and coolant. I also believe it does condition the battery, but don’t know the details.

Last edited by TexAg91; 11-08-2023 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (11-08-2023)