GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Broken connecting rod - engine replacement at 51.000 km! GoodWill repair…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2024 | 06:27 AM

Mercedes GLE 2021 de hybrid plug-in
Broken connecting rod - engine replacement at 51.000 km! GoodWill repair…

Mercedes 2021 GLE de 4MATIC Coupe Engine Brake Down/ No warranty

Month ago on the way to Denmark had car brake down. 170km/h German highway steady ride suddenly car started to have strange sound and shaking with red warning
“engine oil pressure, stop switch off engine.”
I was pulled by assistance to nearest Mercedes Dealership with workshop.
DIagnose:
Part of the connecting rod is in the oil pan, which means a connecting rod is broken.
The engine needs to be replaced.

Car 6 months after warranty period (I was not able to extend it) all the services at Mercedes (last one 25.04.23) before I bought the car (5 days before brake down!) car was checked at Mercedes.

I applied for Good Will…

Mercedes approved GW at 75%

German workshop estimated fix for 28.000 Euro which I will pay 7.000 euro.

Car is only 2,5 y old… 51.000 km driven 😳
Something like that shouldn’t happen in premium cars…

If Mercedes gives max 5 y warranty… it’s mean that they don’t expect something like that happen…

I was extremely disappointed with only 75% coverage from MB…
Old 01-14-2024 | 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Why was your car out of warranty with such low mileage and time elapsed?

Wasn't the required Service completed on time? Accident?
Old 01-14-2024 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
Why was your car out of warranty with such low mileage and time elapsed?

Wasn't the required Service completed on time? Accident?
In Scandinavia (maybe whole Europe) they only give 2 years warranty, previous owner didn’t extended and when I got the car warranty was over and I couldn’t extend.
Last service (at Mercedes) was made 04.2023 and this engine failure happened end of November 2023!

All the services ( two) were made at Mercedes and on time. No accidents before.

They confirmed that engine was never “opened” before.

I asked Mercedes in Germany where I was pulled, I asked in Denmark and Sweden averting was surprised that something like that happened.

Old 01-14-2024 | 04:23 PM

2023 GLE 450
Well your our 7k but it’s better then having to pay for the whole thing. Car will be basically new mechanically. The new engine will have a warranty. Ask if you can extend it.
Old 01-14-2024 | 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by PLINYELDER
Well your our 7k but it’s better then having to pay for the whole thing. Car will be basically new mechanically. The new engine will have a warranty. Ask if you can extend it.
Agree, the point is that something like that shouldn’t happened at all… not in premium car 6 months after warranty expired… it’s not a coffee machine.

Overall, Mercedes handled that case very bad… 1.German Service where car was pulled by assistance rejected GoodWill because car was sold to Scandinavian Market.
2. Mercedes Denmark where car is register rejected to help because car was sold to Mercedes Sweden despite that MB Denmark & Sweden is one organization, one CEO…
3. MB Sweden send me code with 75% discount for repair in Germany or Denmark. Refused to give replacement car for time of fixing, refused to extend warranty. Yes, I received new engine with 12 months warranty. MB admitted that case was handle very bad, but that’s all…
Old 01-14-2024 | 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by Damian86dk
Agree, the point is that something like that shouldn’t happened at all… not in premium car 6 months after warranty expired… it’s not a coffee machine.

Overall, Mercedes handled that case very bad… 1.German Service where car was pulled by assistance rejected GoodWill because car was sold to Scandinavian Market.
2. Mercedes Denmark where car is register rejected to help because car was sold to Mercedes Sweden despite that MB Denmark & Sweden is one organization, one CEO…
3. MB Sweden send me code with 75% discount for repair in Germany or Denmark. Refused to give replacement car for time of fixing, refused to extend warranty. Yes, I received new engine with 12 months warranty. MB admitted that case was handle very bad, but that’s all…
I would post your experience on all of their social media channels in a concise digestible format (IG, x, tiktok, YouTube, Facebook). Hopefully that might elicit a better response. I agree that's really bad.

Last edited by wildta; 01-14-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2024 | 03:50 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Ouch! I'm surprised you only got 2 years of warranty, I think I got 4 on mine.

Just out of curiosity, how did you use the car? Lots of EV driving, lots of mixed driving in Comfort mode, ...?
Old 01-15-2024 | 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by wildta
I would post your experience on all of their social media channels in a concise digestible format (IG, x, tiktok, YouTube, Facebook). Hopefully that might elicit a better response. I agree that's really bad.
Car is fixed, was lucky that workshop in Germany did the job and fixed in 2 weeks and got it before Christmas.
Denmark after press them offered 2 months and no replacement car…

thought about it writing my case to media… because they never actually said why did this brake down happened…
Old 01-15-2024 | 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by elbekko
Ouch! I'm surprised you only got 2 years of warranty, I think I got 4 on mine.

Just out of curiosity, how did you use the car? Lots of EV driving, lots of mixed driving in Comfort mode, ...?
Wow… car was sold in Sweden at first, with 2 years warranty only. In July 2023 was imported to Denmark and I got it n end of November.

What I heard car was used mostly in EV and when I took it suddenly long trip in Diesel engine…maybe that was the reason but shouldn’t anyway…
Old 01-15-2024 | 04:45 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Wow… car was sold in Sweden at first, with 2 years warranty only. In July 2023 was imported to Denmark and I got it n end of November.

What I heard car was used mostly in EV and when I took it suddenly long trip in Diesel engine…maybe that was the reason but shouldn’t anyway…
I've always felt Comfort mode turns the engine on and off too often. And will turn on the engine with immediate heavy load, as well. This is part of why I didn't want a diesel hybrid, my mechanical sympathy just wouldn't allow it.

By any chance, were you on the highway, had just released the throttle causing the engine to shut off, and then got on the throttle again to speed back up? This is a scenario where I can see these engines get very heavily stressed, especially the diesels, and even more so if the battery isn't charged enough to provide assist. I'd stick to sport mode on the autobahn for more spirited driving (and it'll give you some more confidence in the brakes as well...).
Old 01-15-2024 | 04:56 AM

I've always felt Comfort mode turns the engine on and off too often. And will turn on the engine with immediate heavy load, as well. This is part of why I didn't want a diesel hybrid, my mechanical sympathy just wouldn't allow it.

By any chance, were you on the highway, had just released the throttle causing the engine to shut off, and then got on the throttle again to speed back up? This is a scenario where I can see these engines get very heavily stressed, especially the diesels, and even more so if the battery isn't charged enough to provide assist. I'd stick to sport mode on the autobahn for more spirited driving (and it'll give you some more confidence in the brakes as well...).
I'm still fresh driver with MB, it was my dream car... and when I saw it first time GLE Coupe damnn two years was saving for it... I have few long distance trips in the year that's why my target was diesel, mostly because petrol version has very little tank and in the long trip will have multiple stops + higher consumption.

Overall diesel engines are not huge fans of short trips, since I got wallbox charger few days ago I will use mostly EV mode with, I drive around 60-70 km per day with mix 50/50 highway/city. When I know that distance will be longer I use Battery Level Mode, so save EV for the city...
Old 01-15-2024 | 05:09 AM

'22 GLE 350e
I'm still fresh driver with MB, it was my dream car... and when I saw it first time GLE Coupe damnn two years was saving for it... I have few long distance trips in the year that's why my target was diesel, mostly because petrol version has very little tank and in the long trip will have multiple stops + higher consumption.

Overall diesel engines are not huge fans of short trips, since I got wallbox charger few days ago I will use mostly EV mode with, I drive around 60-70 km per day with mix 50/50 highway/city. When I know that distance will be longer I use Battery Level Mode, so save EV for the city...
That's the way I use mine as well, EV daily, Battery Level for longer trips, Sport on the autobahn.

I too do long trips (4000+km) multiple times a year, but honestly the tank size on the petrol isn't really an issue. It still takes 60L, and goes around 5-600km with that, which is alright. And better than my Range Rover which only does 4-500km with 90L
Old 01-15-2024 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I don't buy the idea that diesel engines don't like starting and stopping.
Diesel engines are perfectly suited for stop and go, on and off driving. That's their forte and that's why you see them in delivery vehicles everywhere.

With a history like that it might be a press car, and who the heck knows how the heck they drove it.

Badgering social media doesn't seem like a very effective way to do anything. Except maybe burn Bridges...
Old 01-15-2024 | 11:23 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by mikapen
I don't buy the idea that diesel engines don't like starting and stopping.
Diesel engines are perfectly suited for stop and go, on and off driving. That's their forte and that's why you see them in delivery vehicles everywhere.
Note how the vast majority of those keeps their engine running. At least when idling there is oil pressure, when the engine is shut off there isn't. Diesels typically put way more force on the connecting rods and bearings, which need oil pressure to not grenade.

And starting and stopping an engine with the vehicle stationary is, in my eyes, very different from doing so while the vehicle is moving. No load vs high load, especially on a high-speed highway.
Old 01-15-2024 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Note how the vast majority of those keeps their engine running. At least when idling there is oil pressure, when the engine is shut off there isn't. Diesels typically put way more force on the connecting rods and bearings, which need oil pressure to not grenade.

And starting and stopping an engine with the vehicle stationary is, in my eyes, very different from doing so while the vehicle is moving. No load vs high load, especially on a high-speed highway.
So that would leave bad oil as the culprit, by that line of reasoning. (But no, idling is prohibited in most cities now.)
Whatever the case, there must be a reason for the failure, other than a "defect in materials and workmanship." I think there's something we don't know here.

Maybe the poster can show us the official reason for not extending the warranty.
Old 01-16-2024 | 03:28 PM

That's the way I use mine as well, EV daily, Battery Level for longer trips, Sport on the autobahn.

I too do long trips (4000+km) multiple times a year, but honestly the tank size on the petrol isn't really an issue. It still takes 60L, and goes around 5-600km with that, which is alright. And better than my Range Rover which only does 4-500km with 90L
When you charge yours from 0% battery up to 100%, how many kWh do you use for that?
In my shows me 25-26 kWh … but batter should be 32 kWh capacity…. Strange, is it because of winter?
Old 01-17-2024 | 02:49 AM

'22 GLE 350e
When you charge yours from 0% battery up to 100%, how many kWh do you use for that?
In my shows me 25-26 kWh … but batter should be 32 kWh capacity…. Strange, is it because of winter?
I've definitely seen 30kWh+ charging.
On the trip meter it also mentions kWh/100km. I've seen that anywhere from mid-20s up to 60 kWh/100km, depending on conditions, roof rack, roof tent, trailer, ...
Just yesterday my trip home from work, mainly highway driving (+ some traffic in Brussels), fully electric, 48.2km, 72 km/h average, 32.4 kWh/100km.

On the other hand, I have been feeling like my range has been decreasing a bit. It could be the battery is starting to wear in a bit, so wouldn't be surprised if it's not at 100% capacity anymore.

And out of curiosity, just did a quick calculation (from reported figures in the Eco Coach app). Charged 78%, at 1.8kW (stock charger), in 13 hours 9 minutes, which is 21.9 kWh. From that, 100% battery would only be 28 kWh, which is strange.
Old 03-21-2024 | 11:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Yikes : ( Sorry OP I am really curious what happened, I understand there is an issue with the M260 in the A, B, GLA, GLB vehicles, there was a recall (or extended warranty on that engine) as well but I am surprised there are issues in engines (at least OP's engine) used in GLE as well. Diesels in general are supposed to be reliable so that too caught me in a surprise.
Old 09-14-2024 | 12:53 PM

2020 GLE 350d
How to claim goodwill

Hi, i’m in almost the identical position as you in the UK. How did you go about applying for goodwill contribution?

Mercedes 2021 GLE de 4MATIC Coupe Engine Brake Down/ No warranty

Month ago on the way to Denmark had car brake down. 170km/h German highway steady ride suddenly car started to have strange sound and shaking with red warning
“engine oil pressure, stop switch off engine.”
I was pulled by assistance to nearest Mercedes Dealership with workshop.
DIagnose:
Part of the connecting rod is in the oil pan, which means a connecting rod is broken.
The engine needs to be replaced.

Car 6 months after warranty period (I was not able to extend it) all the services at Mercedes (last one 25.04.23) before I bought the car (5 days before brake down!) car was checked at Mercedes.

I applied for Good Will…

Mercedes approved GW at 75%

German workshop estimated fix for 28.000 Euro which I will pay 7.000 euro.

Car is only 2,5 y old… 51.000 km driven 😳
Something like that shouldn’t happen in premium cars…

If Mercedes gives max 5 y warranty… it’s mean that they don’t expect something like that happen…

I was extremely disappointed with only 75% coverage from MB…