MBUX Screen Shutdown every 10 minutes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
Post MBUX Screen Shutdown every 10 minutes

Hi,

This is my first post here, so please ignore if anything is not upto forum standards.
Recently, my 2020 GLE 450 started to have issues with the MBUX screen and had to go the dealership to get it fixed. Sharing here so someone can benefit from my experience.

Issue: The screen would go black after driving for 10 or more minutes and say a message "Temp too high, turning off". I live in Canada so temps are not high that screen would get hot because of the sun and car is parked in a closed garage. The system would not just shutdown the infotainment but also take drive selector, park assist, road sign detection and Rear Camera. The process keeps repeating with splash screen displayed after sometime and then shutdown again.
Impact: This would basically take away all the functionalities with it when system's shutdown. Its basically very dangerous if it goes right when you need any control like rear camera.

Initially I thought doing a hard reset might fix issue but that was not the case. I booked a service appointment with local MB dealer where they first tried to update the MBUX software but could solve the problem. XENTRY revealed that MBUX Hard drive located below the passenger seat has a small cooling fan that was not working.

Car had to stay in dealership for a day and its fixed for now. Will post if it comes back.

Luckily I purchased extended warranty otherwise it would have cost $1-2k with parts and labor ($200/hr labor and over expensive parts)
The following users liked this post:
SN1250 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:43 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
My friend had the same problem. The hard drive was replaced, and that resolved the problem.
Old 07-13-2024, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,210 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Both my 164 and 166 would display that message at elevations above 9000 feet.

This also occurred to others in my local MB club when we were on a four-wheel drive trip around Ouray, Colorado. After we climbed a serious Trail, everybody put their hoods up because they thought it was the car overheating.
It was a hard drive. We just lived with it until we got to lower elevation and it went away.
Didn't seem to be any permanent damage.