GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Should I avoid the GLE450E?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E
Should I avoid the GLE450E?

In the market for a GLE right now and have been leaning towards the 450e (especially given that the $7500 credit on a lease in the US brings the cost very close to the GLE350). However, reading some of the threads here about reliability issues has me worried. Are these isolated issues or should I stay away from the hybrid?
Old 08-07-2024, 07:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
I am planning to test drive it actually, so any feedback would be good.
Old 08-07-2024, 07:48 PM

2018 GLE 350
I have a 2025 450e on order, so would like to get some feedback on this as well.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM

2024 GLE 459e
My 450e (pinnacle trim, tow package) has been trouble free for 4,000 miles. I love the looks, the ride, cargo space and the power is all I need. The comfort and quality of the cockpit is outstanding. I’m averaging 55+ mile on electric and 28 mpg in hybrid mode. To me the only things lacking are small storage areas due to the battery under the cargo area.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE450e
We love ours. We had one trim piece on the front fascia that had a tab missing and was loose that I found on first wash and it was replaced. Other than that, it is a great experience.

We have had it since April 3, have 3,000 miles on the car, and have used 1/2 tank of gas. For our purposes where most trips are within electric range, it’s outstanding.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ryder1650
In the market for a GLE right now and have been leaning towards the 450e (especially given that the $7500 credit on a lease in the US brings the cost very close to the GLE350). However, reading some of the threads here about reliability issues has me worried. Are these isolated issues or should I stay away from the hybrid?
MB sells nice looking cars with bad delivered quality, poor medium term reliability and has a dealer network with zero skin in the game from a customer satisfaction point of view. Spend some time reading this site and you will come to this conclusion.

I would not own any current MB outside of manufacturer’s original warranty. And even then I would likely not own an MB because Porsche and BMW have better ownership experience, e.g. reliability and dealer experience, in comparable models.

Last edited by chassis; Yesterday at 07:07 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by chassis
MB sells nice looking cars with bad delivered quality, poor medium term reliability and has a dealer network with zero skin in the game from a customer satisfaction point of view. Spend some time reading this site and you will come to this conclusion.

I would not own any current MB outside of manufacturer’s original warranty. And even then I would likely not own an MB because Porsche and BMW have better ownership experience, e.g. reliability and dealer experience, in comparable models.
With all due respect I disagree. I own a 2024 MB GLE 450E and a 2023 BMW Z4. Both are good vehicles but I had more delivery problems withe the BMW (fixed by multiple visits and software updates).

The Porsche is far more expensive when comparably equipped. Besides I want a luxury drive SUV not one that pretends to be a bloated sports car. My 2 seater convertible gives me all the sport experience I want.

We love the luxury, the space, the ride. Great heads up display. Excellent navigation with augmented reality. First vehicle in a decade I have preferred the built in nav over google, Waze or Apple nav on Car Play. Still use Car Play for music, podcasts and phone in combination with MB nav.

The GLE 450E is an excellent plug in hybrid experience. From 59 to 63 miles electric range in the summer while using AC.

The electric motor has all the torque needed for almost all driving situations. If I stomp on the pedal for highway passing the ICE instantly jumps to life.

When the electric range is used up the vehicle seamless switches to hybrid mode, usually impreceptively.

The battery will charge on our home L2 charger in under 3 hours. We use night time electricity rates. Never use the ICE for city driving which is almost always under 60 miles per day.

At our vacation home we plug into 120v outlet and charge in 24 hrs.

At first I was miffed by the lack of under cargo space storage because of the battery. But have a soft sided box to hold emergency items (flashers, tools, etc.). No longer a concern.

My 4th MB. The other 3 were 2008 E320 Class diesel RWD (brain dead nav and electronics), 2010 E350 4matic, 2018 E400. By far my favorite.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 GLE 450e, 2019 C300W4
After driving mine for almost a year I've had no issues. I have several post in this forum during the last year regarding performance, driving options, charging, mileage experiences and other matters; look them up for more details.
I'm scheduling my 1 year dealer service appointment soon. Only routine service items are on my list.
In short, I'd buy the car again.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE450e
We are in month 3 of our new GLE450e, and in summary, we love it! We have had a few minor issues:
  • Charging cable release button fell out during the Dealership delivery charge. They fixed in one week, and the Dealership gave us a full charge and a full tank of gas after the fix.
  • One tailpipe extension was loose, they fixed at the same time as the button replacement.
  • In the second month we had some "creaks" that kept getting louder. See my post "2024 GLE450e - Body Flex Noise." This turned out to be a simple door rubber issue. Now the car is very quiet.
  • The last one is my fault for not asking enough questions at the Dealership. If you do not order the Driver Assistance Package (I did not), you will not have adaptive cruise control. Unfortunately, this cannot be added at the Dealer level, so I am stuck without this feature I had become so used to with our last 2 Lexus RX350s.
Here are the links to 3 YouTube videos that helped my wife and I to decide to get this vehicle.

Good luck on your decision!
The following users liked this post:
Duckie0414 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 129 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by chassis

totally disagree.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by SoCal Living
We are in month 3 of our new GLE450e, and in summary, we love it! We have had a few minor issues:
  • Charging cable release button fell out during the Dealership delivery charge. They fixed in one week, and the Dealership gave us a full charge and a full tank of gas after the fix.
  • One tailpipe extension was loose, they fixed at the same time as the button replacement.
  • In the second month we had some "creaks" that kept getting louder. See my post "2024 GLE450e - Body Flex Noise." This turned out to be a simple door rubber issue. Now the car is very quiet.
  • The last one is my fault for not asking enough questions at the Dealership. If you do not order the Driver Assistance Package (I did not), you will not have adaptive cruise control. Unfortunately, this cannot be added at the Dealer level, so I am stuck without this feature I had become so used to with our last 2 Lexus RX350s.
Here are the links to 3 YouTube videos that helped my wife and I to decide to get this vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehOsPyFBaU&t=53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZeGR8bfGnY&t=407s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGR5WrXE2u8&t=56s

Good luck on your decision!
The adaptive cruise control can be added if your car came with all the required cameras and sensors. Go to https://rjautomotive.net/products/di...ntrol-retrofit and ask. Raj helped me out.

Last edited by kvelez; Yesterday at 09:45 PM.