Hill Climb slippage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 709 Likes on 526 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by superswiss
The offroad mode is technically supposed to distribute the power better to the wheel(s) with traction, of course it's still within the mechanical limits of the system. I know it's been mentioned already, but it's worth reiterating just how heavy your vehicle is. The 450e is a fat 700 lbs heavier than the 450 (5745 lbs vs 5060 lbs). That's a lot of weight to drag up a hill. Also, it hasn't been asked yet, but what kind of tires do you have? Getting a set of all-terrain tires might give you a different outcome. At the end of the day, the tires are the only thing between the road and the car. The better they grip, the better it'll climb.
Good point about tires, that would make a big difference. Of course you'll take a hit on MPGs and have more noise with an AT tire.

Further onto what @chassis recommended:
Try angular gravel in that area which will interlock onto each other better and won't slip as much as your typical gravel. In addition, you could also install gravel grids to hold all that gravel in place.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
chassis (08-27-2024), mikapen (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,194 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by parato
All well and good but doesn't give me a solution for the GLE.
What year Subaru and which of their all-wheel drive systems is it equipped with?

Currently, Subaru has four AWD systems.
Three of them involve the same electronic activation of brakes/differentials as the Mercedes system, after slippage begins.

Subaru finally came up with an optional AWD system called the X Mode, which operates up to 18 mph when you push a button. X mode increases the lockup capabilities of the differentials, reduces throttle response and power, and maintains lower gearing.
All very similar to Mercedes off-road mode, except Subaru still uses open differentials front and rear unless you have a WRX, which is in another League regarding traction control - using Torson and planetary differentials.

"Symmetrical AWD" means nothing other than your half shafts are of equal length, reducing torque steer. Otherwise, it's an inferior AWD system unless you have X Mode, which makes it "average." The WRX system is the superior system. It has driver-adjustable torque splits.

Clearly I don't agree that Subaru's AWD system is superior to anything.

So I'm guessing it's something like wheelbase, weight or tires that are causing the different results.

Certainly not Subaru's all-wheel drive system.

Last edited by mikapen; 08-27-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old Today, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE53 AMG
Aren’t Subaru’s considered 4x4? I think the GLE is more “AWD” in comparison/function.

The majority of your problem is tires. The Subaru has a regular passenger/touring tire your GLE has a performance tire. That rubber compound is absolutely going to slide across gravel. Curious to know exactly what the tires are on both of your vehicles.

source: my parents own an oil field transportation company and I grew up like a rural hick.
Old Today, 06:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by sickk23
Aren’t Subaru’s considered 4x4? I think the GLE is more “AWD” in comparison/function.

The majority of your problem is tires. The Subaru has a regular passenger/touring tire your GLE has a performance tire. That rubber compound is absolutely going to slide across gravel. Curious to know exactly what the tires are on both of your vehicles.

source: my parents own an oil field transportation company and I grew up like a rural hick.
The subaru is awd not 4x4.

I don't think the tires are the issue. Only 1 of 4 wheels digs into the gravel.

The steep grave drive is curved. Only the inside of the curve rear wheel spins and digs up gravel.

The other 3 wheels don't spin at all. I believe the problem is power distribution. Too much power to one wheel, not evely across 4 wheels.

To your point a 4x4 would not have this problems and neither an AWD with a better power allocation system.
Old Today, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,194 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Tell us about your Subaru, since there are several AWD systems it might have.
What year, model, and AWD system is it?

Is it the same driver?