GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE450e - Unusual Sound When Accelerating in Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2024 | 02:25 PM

2024 GLE450e
GLE450e - Unusual Sound When Accelerating in Sport Mode

Hi everyone,

I’m seeking some advice from fellow GLE 450e owners. I recently picked up my 2024 GLE450e. It’s been about a month since I got the car, and I’ve driven approximately 700 km so far.

Since getting the car, I’ve mostly been driving in Electronic Mode. However, in the past two days, I switched to Sport Mode, meaning I’ve been driving maintly with the ICE engine. Here’s where I noticed something strange: when I lightly accelerate in Sport Mode with the windows down (I usually keep the windows down because the car still has a new car smell), I hear a "whooshing" sound from outside the car (like "siu", "siu", “siu"....). It’s hard to describe—it doesn’t quite sound like wind noise but more like a subtle electrical current or "whoosh" sound.

I only hear this sound with the windows open and when accelerating in Sport Mode (perfectly fine in EL mode). When the windows are closed, I don’t really notice it. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? Could it be that the hybrid system is assisting during acceleration in Gas Mode, causing this sound?

I spoke with the product specilaist (from the shop where I picked up my car) today and he told me nothing to worry about.

I’d appreciate any insights or suggestions from others who might have encountered something similar or have an idea of what might be causing this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2024 | 03:25 PM

2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by goldenhawks
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking some advice from fellow GLE 450e owners. I recently picked up my 2024 GLE450e. It’s been about a month since I got the car, and I’ve driven approximately 700 km so far.

Since getting the car, I’ve mostly been driving in Electronic Mode. However, in the past two days, I switched to Sport Mode, meaning I’ve been driving maintly with the ICE engine. Here’s where I noticed something strange: when I lightly accelerate in Sport Mode with the windows down (I usually keep the windows down because the car still has a new car smell), I hear a "whooshing" sound from outside the car (like "siu", "siu", “siu"....). It’s hard to describe—it doesn’t quite sound like wind noise but more like a subtle electrical current or "whoosh" sound.

I only hear this sound with the windows open and when accelerating in Sport Mode (perfectly fine in EL mode). When the windows are closed, I don’t really notice it. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? Could it be that the hybrid system is assisting during acceleration in Gas Mode, causing this sound?

I spoke with the product specilaist (from the shop where I picked up my car) today and he told me nothing to worry about.

I’d appreciate any insights or suggestions from others who might have encountered something similar or have an idea of what might be causing this.

Thanks in advance!
I have this same sound in my 350. It's one of the things I have them looking into in a couple of weeks. I only hear it with the windows down and until I get to about 40mph. I think the wind just drowns it out going any faster. It's like an electrical feedback high pitched sound. The best way I can describe it is almost like a coil whine that some computers get.