Sponsored By:

Trying to decide - GLE vs. BMW X5 and which GLE engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
Trying to decide - GLE vs. BMW X5 and which GLE engine

I know the GLE is basically similar to the ML which has been out for a few years. I'm trying to compare this to a BMW X5 and specifically trying to decide between the GLE350 and the GLE400. Has anyone compared these to either the BMW X5 35i or 50i, and has anyone had any bad (or good) experiences with the Mercedes engines in each of these? Any help would be appreciated. I have actually driven all 4 and have my own early opinions.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traded in '13 ML350 now '16 GLE 350
I can't give you an answer about comparing the engines I had an X5 but not the 50i and now have a ML 350. They drive totally different the X5 was stiffer and a hard ride especially with the run flats but it was fun especially in sport mode. The draw back was on long drives you never relaxed. The ML drives and rides much nicer I've argued it handles as well but softer and once you get use to it will accelerate extremely well but different. I try to explain it to people this way when you nail a X5 it feels like it squats down and takes off where a ML feels like it comes up on its toes and then takes off. Sorry if I confused you ... I'm looking at a new GLE myself and didn't even consider going back to another X5.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
Originally Posted by X5NoMor
I can't give you an answer about comparing the engines I had an X5 but not the 50i and now have a ML 350. They drive totally different the X5 was stiffer and a hard ride especially with the run flats but it was fun especially in sport mode. The draw back was on long drives you never relaxed. The ML drives and rides much nicer I've argued it handles as well but softer and once you get use to it will accelerate extremely well but different. I try to explain it to people this way when you nail a X5 it feels like it squats down and takes off where a ML feels like it comes up on its toes and then takes off. Sorry if I confused you ... I'm looking at a new GLE myself and didn't even consider going back to another X5.

I guess your username says it all.

You definitely didn't confuse me - what you said makes perfect sense. I appreciate your insightful reply. I have owned BMWs for many years and had been previously tempted to go with a Mercedes but have usually avoided the temptation, since I thought "nothing drives like a BMW", even after driving the various Mercedes. It comes down to what you're used to. In this go-round I have considered some other SUVs, but have narrowed it to the BMW and Mercedes. One of the reasons to go with the X5 is they do offer the 50i which has an 8-cylinder engine, which I am most used to, while the similar class Mercedes (ML400 or GLE400) has a bi-turbo V6. Yet, BMW in recent years has experienced some very serious problems in some of their engines which is worth thinking about. Also, I don't like the fact that the back seat doesn't go down perfectly flat, which is an important feature for me. The Mercedes seat does go down all the way.

So, yes, I am used to the feel, handling, and throttle response of the BMW, but that said, it may be time to buy a Mercedes, and get used to a somewhat different driving experience. I may need to go for the more powerful 400 engine, even though it is a 6-cylinder, just to get that extra acceleration that I'm used to.

I still need to look into if ordering is an option, or if it's past the cutoff date. So that means I'll need to look at what's available at dealers in a 2015 or 2016, or currently or scheduled to be at the at the VPC.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
I've driven 1st gen X5, owned a W164ML, followed by an X3 (moved to a much smaller European city), then a CLK55 AMG. Now considering a GLE coupe with the AMG badge because once you've owned an AMG it's hard to go back to a "normal" MB .

So having owned both brands, I wouldnt ever go back to BMW. Their cars ride stiffer, I like comfort and that is where MB excels. The major drawback with BMW is with their interiors, just plain boring IMO.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - the decision is yours to make.

Your original post - "I have actually driven all 4 and have my own early opinions".

I guess your post here is to put your "early" personal opinions aside - and ask for balanced input.

Well... do the Google .. the BMW N63 V8 "probably" is the worst V8 engine to come from any German manufacturer - ever.

Do the Google yourself - and the 4th generation N63 for 2016 I am told by my BMW will only be available for 2016 in the "new" 750 - and NOT in the SUV.

Frankly - comparing "issues" on the W166 in this forum - against the "issues" posted on BMW forum - heck N63 problems posted on a general Google search - BMW V8 be d*mned, nonsensical, and BMW hasn't been able to make than engine design "drive right" in 3 generations over 8 yrs.

It's your call - make sure you put that N63 card table when you wrap up your "decision".
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Go with MB AMG'S. WAY better vehicles. X5's are stiff and boring inside. Massage seats are a must, along with the soft close doors.....