Check the option or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Check the option or not?

Well I'm going in today to order a GLE400. I've got the pricing done but I just can't decide if I want to add the on/off--rod package. I'm used to having trucks with the 4wd switch and have never had a problem in bad weather or pulling my boat but I have had to used 4wd a few times for both on my truck. Will the 4 matic be enough or does the package add that much more security for snow/ice/slipperly boat ramps? Plus I've never owned a 4 matic or any full time 4wd vehicle so I'm a little concerned I might need/miss the "low range" option.
I cannot find much information or advice on the option from Mercedes. Anyone have it or use it?
Thanks

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 01-21-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Well I'm going in today to order a GLE400. I've got the pricing done but I just can't decide if I want to add the on/off--rod package. I'm used to having trucks with the 4wd switch and have never had a problem in bad weather or pulling my boat but I have had to used 4wd a few times for both on my truck. Will the 4 matic be enough or does the package add that much more security for snow/ice/slipperly boat ramps? Plus I've never owned a 4 matic or any full time 4wd vehicle so I'm a little concerned I might need/miss the "low range" option.
I cannot find much information or advice on the option from Mercedes. Anyone have it or use it?
Thanks
Hard to say. 4-Matic is pretty solid. I have a low range option in a Gwagon but rarely need it (let's not compare a gwagon though). Sometimes I put it in low if the snow is 1 foot+. Itll keep the truck in lower gear and max it out at 30mph.

Given you are hauling a boat, I would say CHECK THE OPTION. When pulling out of water or up a steep hill/ramp you can engage Low Range and it'll pull it out of wet concrete.

I'm pretty sure that the package adds low range PLUS locking central differential, beefed-up skid plates, and more ground clearance through the air suspension with a switch - and cool graphics that show your fore/aft and side angles.

Do it