Sponsored By:

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 BMW 230ix convertible, 2018 GLC300
Apple CarPlay

Any updates on retrofitting Apple CarPlay into our cars? I haven't received a response from Mercedes in the last 2 weeks. Apple told me there is a retrofit that involves a chip and some software. Mercedes should stand behind their vehicles and try to accommodate the owners. At the very least, they should respond to our emails.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by William Kayen
Any updates on retrofitting Apple CarPlay into our cars? I haven't received a response from Mercedes in the last 2 weeks. Apple told me there is a retrofit that involves a chip and some software. Mercedes should stand behind their vehicles and try to accommodate the owners. At the very least, they should respond to our emails.
Don't you have the Premium 1 package with Navigation? I have Carplay (newer Feb build) of the GLE and I couldn't see a reason to use that over the built in navigation or play music over Bluetooth. Carplay doesn't work unless you hardwire in which I find inconvenient.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 300d
Picking destinations with the built-in navigation seems to me the biggest drawback of the system - I've not found a way to do it that works too well. The mediocre voice-recognition + limited place database has made "Navigate to POI" kind of rough for me. I suspect that's just way better with Siri - it certainly is with my Android.
Also, after the Sirius free trial is up, you won't have traffic reports on the built-in nav, which makes it nearly useless in denser areas (like NorCal, where I'm at) so I'm guessing its a matter of time before I really want to get an iPhone and use CarPlay myself.
I'd personally love to see an Android Auto enabling hack, as an Android user myself ;0
Old 03-22-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by elsigh
I'd personally love to see an Android Auto enabling hack, as an Android user myself ;0
I agree. I like android better too but Mercedes has always been more partial to one kind of phone over another. First it was that you had to have a Motorola phone for anything tomwork, now it's apple.

But to the OP, I don't see Mercedes going back and retrofitting their vehicles. It would not seem to make sense because they want us to buy newer and newer cars for the new features. If so, where would Mercedes stop with going back and retrofits? I think it will probably be offered by some after market company or someone will find a way within the system to turn it on like some of us had to do years ago with the bluetooth.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe / 2012 ML350
I agree

Originally Posted by variable229
Don't you have the Premium 1 package with Navigation? I have Carplay (newer Feb build) of the GLE and I couldn't see a reason to use that over the built in navigation or play music over Bluetooth. Carplay doesn't work unless you hardwire in which I find inconvenient.

Yeah I agree having to plug it in to use CarPlay is ridicules and inconvenient.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by gee1224
Yeah I agree having to plug it in to use CarPlay is ridicules and inconvenient.
I totally, without a doubt, 100%, beyond a show of a doubt, agree! My 2014 toyota with Entune connected to just about ANY phone (apple or android) withOUT a cord and worked flawlessly and showed album art. I've even seen SYNC (Ford touch) and even Chrysler Uconnect. MB is seriously behind here. But their styling, handling, and drive makes up for it.
I guess we have to give a little to get a lot.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 03-24-2016 at 07:04 AM.