Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GLE Class (W166)
why has MB cut down the GLEd from the ML350? >

why has MB cut down the GLEd from the ML350?

Notices
GLE Class (W166) 2016 - 2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

why has MB cut down the GLEd from the ML350?

 
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
stevef37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Angry why has MB cut down the GLEd from the ML350?

I would like to understand why the GLEd 300 been reduced from the ML350. I have had my ML350 Bluetech for a little over 2 years and have been very happy with it. But now MB seems to think that a good V6 is too good for us that like the GLE (ML) body style and we should have the engine reduced by ~20% power and torque (HP down to 201 from 255 and torgue down 369 from 455) and a 4 cylinder to boot. Some have said it is a requirement for fuel economy. If that is the case why are the same or bigger engines available for the gas models (they have the same or bigger). I just don't understand why a good vehicle like the ML350 Bluetech is being taken down a notch because you change the name.
I don't want a GLEd, I don't need a GLSd. What else is there that gives good power, good fuel economy and can haul over 7,000 pounds (if I want; I haven't hauled anything so far). I guess I may need to look outside of MB?
stevef37 is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 07:19 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 355
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Move to Canada where Mercedes is smart enough to realize customers still want a six cylinder diesel. Loving my new one and the fuel economy with the new 9 speed is insane. I notice the transmission rarely uses 8th and 9th gear unless over the speed limit on the highway. Can't wait to drive this thing down to my vacation home in Florida and see what it can do on a real road trip.
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SOUTHWEST OHIO
Posts: 283
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
I own a 2015 ML250 and have now driven it over 11,000 miles. It performs very well and is very comparable to other Mercedes I now own and have owned in the past. The smaller 4cyl. performs very well in town and on the highway. it has noticeably less turbo lag, does get better mileage, and retains substantial towing capacity.

It is a fact of life that all manufacturers have to increase mileage and smaller displacement engines are the path to that goal. Substantial changes have been made throughout the line even to the point where a 4cyl. will be standard on the new E Class.
JALLEN4 is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 02:35 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
stevef37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post
Move to Canada where Mercedes is smart enough to realize customers still want a six cylinder diesel. Loving my new one and the fuel economy with the new 9 speed is insane. I notice the transmission rarely uses 8th and 9th gear unless over the speed limit on the highway. Can't wait to drive this thing down to my vacation home in Florida and see what it can do on a real road trip.


Thanks, maybe Canada is an answer. It is just irritating that Luxury performance is going down unless you almost double for an AMG.
stevef37 is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 02:54 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
stevef37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by JALLEN4 View Post
I own a 2015 ML250 and have now driven it over 11,000 miles. It performs very well and is very comparable to other Mercedes I now own and have owned in the past. The smaller 4cyl. performs very well in town and on the highway. it has noticeably less turbo lag, does get better mileage, and retains substantial towing capacity.

It is a fact of life that all manufacturers have to increase mileage and smaller displacement engines are the path to that goal. Substantial changes have been made throughout the line even to the point where a 4cyl. will be standard on the new E Class.
Thanks for your input but it doesn't sound like you have compared the ML350 Bluetech to the GLEd.
Also, the engines available for gas models provide an option of a smaller engine but still provides the same they have for years. I would not be saying anything if they offered the same engine as before and gave the option of a smaller one; but they are not giving any option.
I'm glad you are happy with your vehicle but that's wasn't the issue. The same engine is available in the GLS so why is it not available as an option for the GLEd; as it seems it is in Canada. Diesels do better than gas in emissions and mileage so why take away the option and give 500 LBS less towing capability.
stevef37 is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SOUTHWEST OHIO
Posts: 283
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by stevef37 View Post
Thanks for your input but it doesn't sound like you have compared the ML350 Bluetech to the GLEd.
Also, the engines available for gas models provide an option of a smaller engine but still provides the same they have for years. I would not be saying anything if they offered the same engine as before and gave the option of a smaller one; but they are not giving any option.
I'm glad you are happy with your vehicle but that's wasn't the issue. The same engine is available in the GLS so why is it not available as an option for the GLEd; as it seems it is in Canada. Diesels do better than gas in emissions and mileage so why take away the option and give 500 LBS less towing capability.
Mercedes has taken away large engine options in other models. The E550 would be an example and has been replaced with the E400. The ML550 would be another example. This year the 3.5 6 cyl. is gone and replaced with a 4cyl. or 3.0 6 cyl. in the E series. This trend will continue and is simply a fact of life due to government regulations in the US.

I am familiar with both diesels. Without a doubt the 350 has more power and will tow more. It also suffers from a certain amount of turbo lag and definitely gets poorer fuel milage, a primary reason to buy diesel. In my opinion, the 4 cyl. is more drivable on a daily basis unless you are buying it to tow with daily. There is a new 4cyl. diesel on the way that out performs both the 6cyl. and the 4cyl. both in power and mileage. Maybe the solution is to wait.
JALLEN4 is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM
  #7  
skw
Super Member
 
skw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston area
Posts: 571
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by stevef37 View Post
I would like to understand why the GLEd 300 been reduced from the ML350. I have had my ML350 Bluetech for a little over 2 years and have been very happy with it. But now MB seems to think that a good V6 is too good for us that like the GLE (ML) body style and we should have the engine reduced by ~20% power and torque (HP down to 201 from 255 and torgue down 369 from 455) and a 4 cylinder to boot. Some have said it is a requirement for fuel economy. If that is the case why are the same or bigger engines available for the gas models (they have the same or bigger). I just don't understand why a good vehicle like the ML350 Bluetech is being taken down a notch because you change the name.
I don't want a GLEd, I don't need a GLSd. What else is there that gives good power, good fuel economy and can haul over 7,000 pounds (if I want; I haven't hauled anything so far). I guess I may need to look outside of MB?
The change from the 6 cylinder diesel to the 4 cylinder is not new for the GLE. That occured back with the 2015 ML250.

There's a couple of things at play here. First, we can't compare the vehicle lineup here with what is available in any other country, including Canada. MBUSA make the decisions on what to offer in the US market. EPA testing and costly US FMVSS have to be met for each engine/transmission/seat configuration combination for each vehicle. However it was done (focus groups, customer surveys, etc), MBUSA saw that there was a greater customer base interested in the diesel ML/GLE for the fuel economy rather than the number of customers who want the diesel for the torque and towing capacity. Second consideration are the ever tightening CAFE standards being enforced upon each manufacturer. Offer up the ML350 BTC as a sacrificial lamb if you will, boost your EPA numbers by swapping in the 4 cylinder diesel, and now you have more room for vehicles like the GLE63, GLS63, etc. The gas models have seen this same transition as well. The GL450 used to be a V8, now it's a 6. The ML550 V8 is gone and now there's the 6 cylinder ML/GLE400.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a ML350 BTC and loved it. We hated the ML250 BTC/GLE300d. Thing is though, if you had not owned or drove the 350 before, walking fresh into 300d you would think it is perfectly fine. Our 3 finalist for replacing the 350 was the X5 35d, GL350 BTC, or GLE350 (gas). We decided to give the latter a try.

Interesting tidbit though, MBUSA did get EPA approval for a GLE350d. 6 cylinder diesel w/ the 9 speed transmission. There's been no word whatsoever on that vehicle. I'm curious of all the money spent on EPA testing. Fingers crossed.
skw is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why has MB cut down the GLEd from the ML350?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: