Sponsored By:

REady to order a GLE400 - Want some opinions on selctions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:14 PM
dbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 400
Agree with AS705. Worth the money. The seat and lat backside each have 10 settings. The seat doesn't extend out but does give you additional firmness and lift. In addition, if you got the active curve, that enhances the lateral supports when in a turn. The lumbar is variable. and really helps to fit your back. Altogether, it gives you a very snug feeling. I think you will be pleased that you order them.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
Originally Posted by dbj
After a week I wanted to give an update on my experience and initial experience with the 400. Rocky was very helpful and provided me insight into checking my experience at low speed. It had the pick-up that I needed, much better than the 350. I suspect I have one of the last GLE400s built. Consider my comments as a rationalization because I did keep the 400 and didn't make any effort to see if I had options to re-order the AMG 43. If given the choice, I would have definitely waited for the AMG 43. First the difference in price may not be as great as it seems. The 43 is listed ~$1500 more but there might be more than the increase in HP and AMG tuning. (My 400 does have the 9g). If the adaptive damping system on the 43 includes airmatic air suspension, that was a $1610 add on I took in order to get the active curve (another 2,900). The airmatic would pay for the difference if it is included. I'm more of a comfort than sport driver and I'm very pleased with both pricey options having driven a GLE350 for the day. The ride is noticeably smoother with active curve.

I think the 43 has 2 sport modes. I don't know how the one sport mode on mine compares to either of those. I'm happy with only one and don't expect I'll use it all that much. On the highway when going from comfort to sport I downshift from 9 to 6. When in my hilly neighborhood I dropped from 6 to 4. So for me a sporty drive translates into a less efficient energy experience.

So why did I drive the 350? Well my 400 came with a rear axle oil seal leak, noted after owning it for about 4 hours. Not thrilled but I got the 350 as a loaner and took my frustration out on it and did a lot of comparing. I got to work out the paddle shifters which I was reluctant to do on mine. Just in case I screwed something up. There really is no comparison. Even though the 400 is not an AMG it has much more punch than the 350, I can only imagine how much better the 43 will be.

Some other initial thoughts. If you're going to get the pano roof, rethink that option and put that money somewhere else. I changed that out on my original order for the multi-contour seats. I didn't know anything more about the seats other than what I read. I hadn't sat in them or even seen them. After a week, they are lights out compared to the seats in the 350. There are so many variations to the settings that you can really get the seat to fit your body. I particularly like the lateral support. The message feature is OK but I haven't used much. Probably on a long trip will come in handy. Also consider the 3-zone heating. The back seat passenger can have it their way without bugging you. And it looked like that there is more individual control for the front passengers than what I saw in the 350.

Regarding color also something I hadn't seen but wanted and very pleased with. I got the selenite grey with crystal grey/black interior. It looks more white than grey. I'm sure it will get dirty but for now looks cool. The manager was smart enough to change the headliner from my black choice to crystal grey. It makes the car much brighter and provides a nice contrast. I picked the open pore brown ash and wood steering wheel. I've been meaning to take some pictures but day job has gotten in the way.

Hope some of that will help someone else.

DBJ - Great informative post! Just getting to it now, since my thread notifications got accidentally turned off. We decided to wait to drive a GLE43 SUV prior to ordering - certain it will be what we want, but just to be sure - and to see any other options that we should opt for. Now, re-thinking the multi-contour seats. Need to see if cost/benefit is worth it for us. Interestingly enough, we won't be taking many long road-trips with this vehicle.

The headliner color is in fact a great tip. Glad to hear about the comfort vs sport option, since we're leaning more towards comfort now, and glad that you can get more "comfort" on a more performance oriented vehicle, rather than that harder sport ride.

Sorry to hear about your oil seal leak, but needless to say, it happened to me on my first BMW the first week I had it. I could write a chapter on those types of new-car experiences.

Thanks Again.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE400, 2012 Honda Fit, 2011 BMW R1200R, 2009 Audi S4
Curious about your reasons for your recommendation to not get the pano roof and put your money elsewhere?

Originally Posted by dbj
After a week I wanted to give an update on my experience and initial experience with the 400. Rocky was very helpful and provided me insight into checking my experience at low speed. It had the pick-up that I needed, much better than the 350. I suspect I have one of the last GLE400s built. Consider my comments as a rationalization because I did keep the 400 and didn't make any effort to see if I had options to re-order the AMG 43. If given the choice, I would have definitely waited for the AMG 43. First the difference in price may not be as great as it seems. The 43 is listed ~$1500 more but there might be more than the increase in HP and AMG tuning. (My 400 does have the 9g). If the adaptive damping system on the 43 includes airmatic air suspension, that was a $1610 add on I took in order to get the active curve (another 2,900). The airmatic would pay for the difference if it is included. I'm more of a comfort than sport driver and I'm very pleased with both pricey options having driven a GLE350 for the day. The ride is noticeably smoother with active curve.

I think the 43 has 2 sport modes. I don't know how the one sport mode on mine compares to either of those. I'm happy with only one and don't expect I'll use it all that much. On the highway when going from comfort to sport I downshift from 9 to 6. When in my hilly neighborhood I dropped from 6 to 4. So for me a sporty drive translates into a less efficient energy experience.

So why did I drive the 350? Well my 400 came with a rear axle oil seal leak, noted after owning it for about 4 hours. Not thrilled but I got the 350 as a loaner and took my frustration out on it and did a lot of comparing. I got to work out the paddle shifters which I was reluctant to do on mine. Just in case I screwed something up. There really is no comparison. Even though the 400 is not an AMG it has much more punch than the 350, I can only imagine how much better the 43 will be.

Some other initial thoughts. If you're going to get the pano roof, rethink that option and put that money somewhere else. I changed that out on my original order for the multi-contour seats. I didn't know anything more about the seats other than what I read. I hadn't sat in them or even seen them. After a week, they are lights out compared to the seats in the 350. There are so many variations to the settings that you can really get the seat to fit your body. I particularly like the lateral support. The message feature is OK but I haven't used much. Probably on a long trip will come in handy. Also consider the 3-zone heating. The back seat passenger can have it their way without bugging you. And it looked like that there is more individual control for the front passengers than what I saw in the 350.

Regarding color also something I hadn't seen but wanted and very pleased with. I got the selenite grey with crystal grey/black interior. It looks more white than grey. I'm sure it will get dirty but for now looks cool. The manager was smart enough to change the headliner from my black choice to crystal grey. It makes the car much brighter and provides a nice contrast. I picked the open pore brown ash and wood steering wheel. I've been meaning to take some pictures but day job has gotten in the way.

Hope some of that will help someone else.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:44 PM
dbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 400
I think there are 2 advantages of the pano. One, passengers in the back (for me, a rare occasion). Two, provide a more open airy feeling but at the expense of increasing the cabin temp. I'm in AL so I thought it might become too hot. I'm pleased with the openness and experience of standard sunroof. If you do get the pano, add the rear temp control. Everyone told me that was critical. I ended up keeping that option even though I didn't keep the pano.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by eric1972
Curious about your reasons for your recommendation to not get the pano roof and put your money elsewhere?
They are hot. They are also hot when it's hot outside. And sometimes when it's warm outisde, they are very hot inside. And when Mercedes uses a thin mesh screen cover they are usually hot whenever that big orange ball in the sky even peaks out from behind the clouds. But all that aside, I think they are very hot.
Oh, but they look good on silver and especially white cars. But they are hot! They also have a "cool factor" for resale value.
(Just my $.02. Even though you didn't ask.)