Bizarre overnight GLE550e behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by Nor Cal SL55
DarrenK,

The windows opening made the green light at your J1772 charging point come on. Here's how I have determined this.

Last night I plugged my level II charger (Siemens) in at 7:05 pm and put it on delay for 4 hours. My energy supplier rates go down after 11:00 pm and it only takes about 1.5 hours for a full charge on my GLE550e.

This morning, I went out to the garage with my wife to unplug the vehicle from the charger. My wife opened up the rear passenger door before I got to the charger port. when I did get to the charging port to unplug the car, I noticed the green light was on. Very similar to what you experienced. My wife was about 30 seconds ahead of me out to the garage, so I asked her if she had restarted the charger, unplugged it or anything. She said no.

The only thing that happen was that she opened the rear passenger side door to put some items in the car.

I unplugged the charger cable from the J1772 port and plugged it back in. The light was still lit green with the charger showing full charge. I couldn't get the green light to go off.

This is what I think happened to you:

It the morning, you went out to the car and unknowingly hit the key fob unlock button - which opened the windows slightly. As you then went to unplug the car from the charger, you noticed the green light was on - which was odd. I think - the green light turning on is due to some sort of function that occurs when the doors or windows are open when the charge cable is plugged into the port. You can test this yourself any morning.

As for all the other gibberish in my last post, those where just ideas thrown out there to help make better sense of the bizarre things that can happen. For instance - yesterday morning - I went out to unplug the car and the hatch was halfway open. Don't ask me how this happened - if it wasn't a ghost, it probably was me (or the wife) hitting the key fob hatch button function by mistake.

HTH
I have tried very hard to replicate this situation. I exclusively use one fob, the other is my wife's. I have not tried my wife's fob, but hers is also brand new. I cannot get the fob to operate in the manner suggested. By that, I mean I can get the windows to roll down, but due to the pressure required on the unlock button, and the amount of time the press is required to be held, I cannot get it to appear the same way. Also, since I carry nothing else in my pocket, I have been unable to get the fob to activate when it is in my pocket. It takes a very hard press to get it to work. In fact, it audibly clicks.And it requires a lengthy press even to get it to begin working. These fobs as I said are very new and the buttons are very stiff. The car was delivered at the very end of November and both fobs were brand new. I actually never even use the fob due to the keyless entry/start. The consensus seems to be that this is what happens when the fob is pressed. I don't dispute that. However, anyone familiar with electronics knows that sometimes they go wonky all on their own. I think the car either mistakenly thought I pressed my fob, or got another signal on the same frequency which it thought was a fob press. I also do occasionally play with the Mbrace and MercedesMe apps. I have not checked to see if the app can cause the windows to go down if unlock is pressed. I will check that out as well when I get a chance, but it is possible I was fooling with those the night before, I don't remember.
The following users liked this post:
Nor Cal SL55 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
Funny thing - I tried to replicate the green light at the charging port yesterday by opening the rear passenger door before unplugging the charging cable. Didn't work.

There are definitely some wonky things that go on with the plug-in hybrid model...

As long as we keep posting, we may be able to figure some of these things out.

Thanks~