GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Illuminated Star or Illuminated Running Board.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE Mercedes 300d
Thanks GLE43_Sube, Leo17, skw for posting pictures.

Here is an update:

I was able to get a very good deal on labor charges for installation of running board lights on my GLE's.
Please Note: My GLE already has factory installed running board.

Now my total with running lights equipment and installation is coming for $1000. Do you guys think , it now make sense for me to spend $1000 for running board or just pass it as it does add any thing to resale value.

Advice please.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
I think at this point it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Any type of additional equipment does not add much to the resale value. especially, if it is a illuminated running board where majority of the ML/GLE owners don't have. However, if you do plan to keep the car for a while, it think it is a fair deal 1000 including labor. Because it is a 650 factory installed option and you are paying 350 for labor. It is the best alternative to doing it yourself.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I'm in the opposite camp. If ordering, I would certainly order it w/ the illuminated boards. However, already having the boards, not sure if I would pay to have the lighting kit installed after. And we all know that the dealer installed versions are not the exact same as the factory installed ones.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350d
Thumbs up Very nice

Originally Posted by Leo17
here's a

pic of mine at night.
Is this an aftermarket, have you installed it or it came as an factory extra?
I just received mine and came with no light. The most constrageos thing is that they advertise the boards on the Gle everywhere as illuminated and just somewhere says with small letters that comes as extra only on GLE-coupe.
I just wanted to know, is there a factory GLE with illuminated boards.
If no, which is the kit or code of the piece.
Thanks everyone,
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 PM

2016 GLE 350 4Matic
Mine is factory ordered. It's 650 for the light.

Originally Posted by nitroit
Is this an aftermarket, have you installed it or it came as an factory extra?
I just received mine and came with no light. The most constrageos thing is that they advertise the boards on the Gle everywhere as illuminated and just somewhere says with small letters that comes as extra only on GLE-coupe.
I just wanted to know, is there a factory GLE with illuminated boards.
If no, which is the kit or code of the piece.
Thanks everyone,
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM

GLE 350d
Can you send me som pic of them close. I have seen some pic on the net with a strip but I have seen a Gle-coupe they are small lamps inside of the board. Can you PM me your VIN? I would like to check how it is discribed it. My boards where 599 euros but when I check my vin I don't see any boards even, all other extra exist. It is a full extra car with designo and harmankardon, panoramic, Active curve, I would never save for such a nice thing. It even didn't came with spare wheel but I have it in my configuration contract. The dealers excuse was that if the car didn't came with them then is because they don't come with this extra and the advertising was wrong. I just don't even know how to talk with him as I payed for them already he don't care and will do nothing as everything is ok.
thanks a lot
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 PM

2016 GLE 350 4Matic
I don't have the VIN with me right now, I am on a business trip right now. But when I pull up my build sheet, the code for LED illuminated board is: 267, and you have to get it with the regular board and that code is: 846.

Originally Posted by nitroit
Can you send me som pic of them close. I have seen some pic on the net with a strip but I have seen a Gle-coupe they are small lamps inside of the board. Can you PM me your VIN? I would like to check how it is discribed it. My boards where 599 euros but when I check my vin I don't see any boards even, all other extra exist. It is a full extra car with designo and harmankardon, panoramic, Active curve, I would never save for such a nice thing. It even didn't came with spare wheel but I have it in my configuration contract. The dealers excuse was that if the car didn't came with them then is because they don't come with this extra and the advertising was wrong. I just don't even know how to talk with him as I payed for them already he don't care and will do nothing as everything is ok.
thanks a lot
Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 PM

GLE 350d
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your reaply. It seams I have the 846 but not the other one. The problem was that I ordered them illuminated boards and on the extra says illuminated. I think even they didn't knew that this comes as a different extra. Here we don't have so many GLe's. Anyway the dealer accepted the problem and will order the right parts and will call me and exchange for free when have them arrived.
I will wait and when have them
exchanged I will try to post some pics. From
the rest the car seams fantastic
thanks a lot for your help
Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM

2015 ML and 2014 E
I have the 5 puck lights on my 2015 ML 350 which I purchased used. Over less than a year I have had three light "bulbs" fail. Has anyone else had this problem?? Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by frone
I have the 5 puck lights on my 2015 ML 350 which I purchased used. Over less than a year I have had three light "bulbs" fail. Has anyone else had this problem?? Thanks
No issues here with them yet.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by frone
I'm not sure, but maybe they were incandescent bulbs on the 2015 model. All of the newest ones use LED's. You'll likely be dead before they burn out.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by skw
Finally getting back around to posting pics. It was daylight when I had the GLS450 loaner. The running board lights were an LED strip built into the sill. Looking at the vehicle, you can't tell they're there unless you get down on the ground. At night, they're dim and go immediately off when the car is locked.

In my GLE, they're like 5 puck lights on either side and they stay on after locking the car. They also fade to off. Mine light up the ground next to the vehicle. On the GLS, it only lit the board itself.

We traded the '16 GLE for '19 GLS. The lights and logo are certainly different now.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 CL550, 2018 E400 Coupe, 2019 AMG GLE43 Coupe, 1968 C10 Restomod
I have them on my 2019 GLE coupe. I think they are very helpful in super dark areas with no street lights and you need a little extra visibility. Nothing gaudy or tacky about the Benz logo, that’s like our American flag....if it’s on your shirt or hat, does that make it gaudy? No....you’re proud of it and you are displaying your pride. I mean it is a Benz, not everyone can have one. It’s “Batman-ing” it’s presence to save others from their non-Benz products ��. Besides, not everything is for everyone. That’s the spice of life. If we didn’t have it as an option and everyone else did, we would have complaints about that too....
Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
People I have encountered seem to love the puddle light logo when they see it for the first time. I have received numerous positive comments about it.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tbone8771
People I have encountered seem to love the puddle light logo when they see it for the first time. I have received numerous positive comments about it.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2022 GLE
Originally Posted by 350MH83
I think illuminated running boards are a nice thing to have, and they are actually useful at night, especially for young kids who actually use the running boards. I find the illuminated star tacky, so I would not go for it, even if it was for 50 $. But to each his own. keep us updated!
While discussing installing an illuminating star with my neighbor who also owned a Mercedes-Benz, my visiting 17-year old niece, who only follow clothing quipped “ostentatious” while wrinkling her nose. However, one guy had the star light up when opening the door and locking the car is a good look.