GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why there is no much GLE 550e sold in NA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
Why there is no much GLE 550e sold in NA?

My wife and I are very interested of GLE 550e, because we owned two Lexus hybrid SUV before.
When we search this forum there is no much GLE 550e related topic, and it seems no one having interest and talking about it.

Comparing with AMG GLE 43, 550e has more HP and torque, and better MPG, I just don't understand why it is not hot in GLE product line.

Is there any particular reason?
Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
If look at it as a hybrid....it is but a very poor one.

If you look at strictly power, it's pretty good.

In Canada there's about 30 or so sold, with a few available already as CPO- I'm guessing once they improve the battery pack it will be better mover.

I looked at one, but with same features as GLE350d it was $12k USD more. wasn't worth it to me ($100k cdn)

If I had to do it again, I'd negoiate harder on it as the 2016/17 GLE550e still have the 7 speed. which is a good combo for that car.

Last edited by nookie; 03-02-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
The 550e is not a big seller due to demand I suppose. MBUSA does not even market it. Ever seen a TV spot for it? I wanted one and found the stock too limited.

It also makes it difficult to sell because the dealer has to be certified and they are mainly only sold in CARB emissions states. Non CARB states don't sell them because the extra battery and electrical component warranty can only be enforced in a CARB state.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
E55KEV is right, it is only sold in CARB states... But that is a Mercedes choice I think. I think BMW sells it's PHEVS everywhere in the US. The price differential is a factor, but when you consider that is includes the Premium 1 package at no cost (and now airmatic at no cost) the price difference is not great at all when you factor in the 4000 tax credit. And many states have tax credits as well.

As for the mileage, it you use it for a short commute like I do, you can get teriffic results. My mpg (excluding electric costs) is currently at 30.5. I commute 3 miles each way to work, sometimes a but more if I take my wife to the train station, and many days I use no gas at all. Plus it does have terrific power that really hustles this heavy vehicle. And, it actually performs better than my Toyota Highlander Hybrid in that in the winter you don't need the gas engine to come up to temp before the system engages. Meaning even in freezing temps I use no gas. I will say that coming from a mild hybrid like the HiHy, I think I am able to eek out more mpg than folks who have not driven a hybrid before. I take advance of coasting, I pulse and glide, and do other mpg enhancing techniques. I am also always taking my technique's to maximize the various settings when taking a trip outside electric range. I'll talk about the more in the mpg thread.

Last edited by DarrenK; 03-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sears1234 (03-06-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by DarrenK
E55KEV is right, it is only sold in CARB states... But that is a Mercedes choice I think. I think BMW sells it's PHEVS everywhere in the US. The price differential is a factor, but when you consider that is includes the Premium 1 package at no cost (and now airmatic at no cost) the price difference is not great at all when you factor in the 4000 tax credit. And many states have tax credits as well.

As for the mileage, it you use it for a short commute like I do, you can get teriffic results. My mpg (excluding electric costs) is currently at 30.5. I commute 3 miles each way to work, sometimes a but more if I take my wife to the train station, and many days I use no gas at all. Plus it does have terrific power that really hustles this heavy vehicle. And, it actually performs better than my Toyota Highlander Hybrid in that in the winter you don't need the gas engine to come up to temp before the system engages. Meaning even in freezing temps I use no gas. I will say that coming from a mild hybrid like the HiHy, I think I am able to eek out more mpg than folks who have not driven a hybrid before. I take advance of coasting, I pulse and glide, and do other mpg enhancing techniques. I am also always taking my technique's to maximize the various settings when taking a trip outside electric range. I'll talk about the more in the mpg thread.
Isn't that bad for the engine when you drive in electric mode in winter and the engine goes from freezing cold zero rpm's to 2000rpm or so? Heating and A/C work all electric, no gas engine needed?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Isn't that bad for the engine when you drive in electric mode in winter and the engine goes from freezing cold zero rpm's to 2000rpm or so? Heating and A/C work all electric, no gas engine needed?
Nope. If the engine is off, it's just like the car is parked. I drove the car all winter, with the engine off much of the time. It is not like the Lexis Hybrid you were used to. On a short enough trip, the engine does not come on at all if your battery is full. You can go up to 82 mph in electric.
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (05-19-2017)