Sponsored By:

Disable adaptive transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Disable adaptive transmission?

First things first, I know about the ECU reset but I'm more curious about a permanent solution. I know this new transmission is plagued with problems with the adaptive system makes it 10x worse; highway driving yesterday was borderline dangerous when trying to pass/overtake. So, has anyone disabled the adaptive transmission or perhaps forced it to never learn?(program the gear shifts and don't let the system change it). The irony is, I get 18mpg using comfort mode but 22mpg using individual(comfort steering with sport engine), and this is after an ECU reset, so how am I saving gas with their system??

Also, anyone know of a way to get the dealership to physically examine the clutch and transmission under warranty? How a toyota camry has smoother shifts than a $50k luxury vehicle is beyond me, makes me wonder if something mechanical is wrong.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
My mpg is also slightly better or at least the same in S than C mode, I have no idea why, I doubt if the engine is more fuel efficient working under 1800 rpm than around 2000-2100 in a higher gear / diesel 3 litres V6/ but I guess MB engineers should know better.
In my case gear shifts are smooth except some abrupt downshifts around 2-nd, 3-rd or 4- th but sometimes only.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
#1 on my list of things that get me started.

from day 1 i was not liking the downshifts (i have some posts here). up-shifts very smooth.

at the dealer a few times. spent time with the head tech. he said it is "normal" and a result of the clutch packs. said the trans is effectively part of "braking". i looked at the video MB has on how the trans works and you can kind of see why it occurs, but it STINKS. i down shift a manual smoother than that.

good luck though, ron
Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I have abrupt downshifts mainly at low speeds, when I start accelerating, reach 3-4 gear and before I'm in higher rpm- s release the throttle. it's not so often in real life but let's say I've felt it 5-6 times for 3 months.