Sponsored By:

Tire Recommendations: Michelin Premier vs Defender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Tire Recommendations: Michelin Premier vs Defender

I'm at 25k with the conti LX sport and they are garbage. I'd like to change them out for either Michelin Defender LTX or Premier LTX. Reviews are great for both, but two costco reps have recommended the defender over the premier mainly for traction. My driving is mainly midwest snow, winter, rain, I don't do any offroading (maybe an unpaved road every now and then), and I drive both local and highway. I am someone who does need to be able to drive in snow (work requirements) but we're talking michigan/illinois level of snow. Anyone have any experience with either tire?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the same dilemma, I bought the Defenders because it was recommended over the Premiers. I drove on the for 30 days and replaced them with the Premiers. The Defender drove quite and smooth but you could feel/hear the gripping of the tire on the road. This bothered me a bit so I tried the Premiers and they are also quite and smooth. A nice tire overall. I wanted the Defenders because of the tread depth but the Premiers were a better choice for my ML. I live in Minneapolis and the Premiers are also great in the snow. I could feel a BIG difference from the stock Continentals. Either tire will do you well, but I think the Premiers are better for the ride in the winter since the rubber is softer.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rainers
I had the same dilemma, I bought the Defenders because it was recommended over the Premiers. I drove on the for 30 days and replaced them with the Premiers. The Defender drove quite and smooth but you could feel/hear the gripping of the tire on the road. This bothered me a bit so I tried the Premiers and they are also quite and smooth. A nice tire overall. I wanted the Defenders because of the tread depth but the Premiers were a better choice for my ML. I live in Minneapolis and the Premiers are also great in the snow. I could feel a BIG difference from the stock Continentals. Either tire will do you well, but I think the Premiers are better for the ride in the winter since the rubber is softer.
Well, this will be interesting then. I looked around at reviews and talked to two different costco reps(called two stores) + tire rack, they all recommended the defender mainly because it was a strong/better built tire for this type of vehicle (although everyone said the premiers were great as well). I drive highway, some local, fairly aggressively, and have to be able to handle all midwest conditions without issue (work requirements).

I actually ended up purchasing them at costco and they are on their way this week. What's the worst that happens you know? Dealt with the conti's this long, can't imagine defenders will be any worse. I really like the comfort/ride of the conti's during their first 10k miles, now they are garbage at 25k miles. I do like a little bite as I don't want it to feel like im driving on a cushion, but I also don't want to feel every crack in the road. Mercedes suspension does a pretty good job at ironing those out. Do you have a way of describing this bite that you felt? was it in a good/bad way or just an annoyance to you? If you hadn't had the ability to swap to the premiers (seem's like you got a special 30 day trial), do you think you'd be annoyed with keeping the defenders knowing the above and having used both?

edit: as far as the premiers being better because they are soft, it's not true in this case. The defenders are actually designed more so for snow/wet conditions than the premiers due to the treads. How the rubber changes with cold temperature is more indicative of the rubber composition and how well it will work in snow(you also want the tires to grip and hold snow, this is what gives you traction...completely against logic I know, had to check for myself lol)

Last edited by nvsocr7; 07-23-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM

I know you will be happy with the Defender, I was until I tried the Premiers. Most tire shops give you a thirty day trial. I think Costco does also.

I need to buy tires for my son's Escape before winter and I think the Defender tire will work perfect for him
The following users liked this post:
nvsocr7 (07-24-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:35 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rainers
I know you will be happy with the Defender, I was until I tried the Premiers. Most tire shops give you a thirty day trial. I think Costco does also.

I need to buy tires for my son's Escape before winter and I think the Defender tire will work perfect for him
So, the defenders are hands down the only reason why I enjoy driving this vehicle again. I know the grip you're talking about but I actually am ok with it due to the other features this tire provides; it's really not noticeable though. It has actually given me back power and torque, which I suspect is due to a lack of grip on the old tires forcing the AWD system to cut the power. The car accelerates, corners, stops on a dime. You actually get pushed into your seat while accelerating. I drove in torrential rain and floods yesterday, not a single time did I feel out of control/hydroplaning. For anyone who still has the stock continentals, get them replaced TODAY. It is well worth the price tag if you're keeping the car but have issues with the power it produces. Costco has them. Inflate them to 36psi all around; costco will inflate standard to 48...i have no idea where that number comes from.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:53 AM

I'm glad your enjoying the Defenders, you are correct they do handle very well. These tire places use a standard inflation chart from the tire companies because mine were also inflated to 48 psi. I put them back down to 32 and 34 in the back