Do you tint your privacy glass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Do you tint your privacy glass?

Since our GLEs come with privacy glass rear windows, do you still tint over them?

the shop is pushing me to get the rear windows tinted as well because they said privacy glass does not keep out any UV, and is only for privacy.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
What about the sunroof?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
I dont. And the OEM tint already prevents UVs. They are just trying to sell you more stuff.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
I just found a study that shows that on recent models, Mercedes side windows already prevent up to 95% of UVs. And that's without the additional tint.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...rticle/2522190
Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by natman316
Since our GLEs come with privacy glass rear windows, do you still tint over them?

the shop is pushing me to get the rear windows tinted as well because they said privacy glass does not keep out any UV, and is only for privacy.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I did not tint my back windows, only the front 2 at 25% I think (the tint guy made a happy accident, I thought it would be too dark but it's perfect). With that being said, they will likely NOT match the back tint. MB uses a bluish tint whereas 99% of third party tint will look "yellow". It bothered me at first because I'm OCD, but now I don't even notice a difference. You can only see it from the inside while looking at both windows side by side. Looks the exact same from the outside. Tinting over may produce a weird color per my tint guy-I asked him about it-he said MB tint is imbedded in the glass not layered over.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Yes, my tint guy told me the same thing....most side windows are just "privacy" glass, with no UV filtration. While this is true for some cars, I had to explain that it was different for newer MB vehicles. I left the rear side and back windows alone and only tinted the front side windows. I did it for three reasons:

A small degree of additional privacy
Additional heat rejection
Aesthetics, to more closely match the rear side windows

Just be advised, all window tint is not the same. See link below and pic. There are three basic types: dyed, metallic and ceramic.
Better quality tint should have no color whatsoever. It should be completely neutral, regardless of the degree of tint. They even make "clear" window film that blocks UV light without reducing nighttime visibility or changing the look.

Most dealers in my area put tint on all new cars, whether you ask for it or not. I didn't want this because I have no control over which type of tint (and the quality) they use. Being that I had to order my car, I was able to prevent all of the unnecessary dealer add-ons. I told them I wanted NO DEALER INSTALLED ACCESSORIES, including window tint. This left me free to research and select the exact brand/model tint I wanted. I ended up getting Llumar Ceramic.

Even the best window tint is relatively inexpensive, especially if you're only getting the two front side windows done. Why skimp?

http://northamerica.llumar.com/autom...utomotive-film
Attached Thumbnails Do you tint your privacy glass?-llumar.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... for me

If UV and InfraRed are a legitimate concern.. you might check 3M Crystalline.. have had very/very good customer results..

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...2716668&rt=rud

The site has a "dealer locator"...

The real question for those concerned ... do you clear tint the windshield ?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe, 2017 GLE 350 4MATIC P3
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
I did not tint my back windows, only the front 2 at 25% I think (the tint guy made a happy accident, I thought it would be too dark but it's perfect). With that being said, they will likely NOT match the back tint. MB uses a bluish tint whereas 99% of third party tint will look "yellow". It bothered me at first because I'm OCD, but now I don't even notice a difference. You can only see it from the inside while looking at both windows side by side. Looks the exact same from the outside. Tinting over may produce a weird color per my tint guy-I asked him about it-he said MB tint is imbedded in the glass not layered over.
Do you have a picture of your 25%?

Am thinking about doing this.. Thx
Old 11-19-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Anything I would do Ceramic tint.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by amusa
This. Make sure to research and use the best one. There is a difference between brands.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe, 2017 GLE 350 4MATIC P3
I can look up the pro's and con's but any reason specifically you can point out?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:34 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by Bo$$
I can look up the pro's and con's but any reason specifically you can point out?
Ceramic window film products are slightly different. Ceramic window tinting is considered the top of the line in the window film options. It uses the same types of thin, sheets as regular window film, but these sheets are coated with ceramic particles as the result of emerging, nano-ceramic technology.

While invisible to the naked eye, they reflect the sun, so they reject UV and sun glare, as well as heat. Ceramic window film also comes in varying shades, so consumers benefit from whatever level of privacy and security desired. Because there is no metal involved (as with metallic window film, which is excellent at blocking UV rays and sun glare), ceramic window films do not interfere with cellular or gadget wi-fi or cell tower reception.

In laboratory studies, ceramic window tint outperforms all of the other window tinting products on the market in terms of:
- Visibility
- Sun glare reduction

- Heat absorption/reducing solar heat gain
- Infrared rejection
- UV ray rejection
- Structural
stability

Overall makes the cabin much cooler over then regular tint.

It will cost you more then regular tint.

Last edited by amusa; 11-23-2020 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 132 Likes on 105 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
on a older previously owned ML...i had sunroof tinted because I love having the sun come in... tinted clear to cut down on heat only... sunroof shattered about 6 months later...MB would not cover warranty on shattered glass.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 E53
Originally Posted by 350MH83
I just found a study that shows that on recent models, Mercedes side windows already prevent up to 95% of UVs. And that's without the additional tint.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...rticle/2522190
would like to see this because MB and another study state that the uv absorption on side, rear and sunroof is ~ 70%. The tint shop that I took my 2022 e53 to measured it at 68% so I installed 99% under it. He also measured the side DS window at about 70%
Old 05-15-2023, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,873 Posts
PFL205.064
Originally Posted by Jmarr
would like to see this because MB and another study state that the uv absorption on side, rear and sunroof is ~ 70%. The tint shop that I took my 2022 e53 to measured it at 68% so I installed 99% under it. He also measured the side DS window at about 70%
Hmmm curious as well then
Old 05-16-2023, 04:11 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Do not tint the sunroof. For some reason the sunroof shattered. It could be the sun and the tint. on other vehicle's. I would put ceramic tint over the privacy glass, maybe 50%. Once you tint the rear glass and you want to remove the film in the future good luck on not destroying the heater grid lines on the rear glass.

Last edited by amusa; 05-16-2023 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Do not tint the sunroof. For some reason the sunroof shattered. It could be the sun and the tint. on other vehicle's. I would put ceramic tint over the privacy glass, maybe 50%. Once you tint the rear glass and you want to remove the film in the future good luck on not destroying the heater grid lines on the rear glass.
Hmmmm interesting thanks for chiming in.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:28 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Sorry I did not explain why the sunroof shattered after being tinted. It's because the sunroof is made of tempered glass. While installing darker tint will prevent significant amount of light from getting into your vehicle, this also more heat will be conducted into the glass itself. This can make the glass much hotter and even shattered.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Sorry I did not explain why the sunroof shattered after being tinted. It's because the sunroof is made of tempered glass. While installing darker tint will prevent significant amount of light from getting into your vehicle, this also more heat will be conducted into the glass itself. This can make the glass much hotter and even shattered.
Really appreciate the additional information. I mean your thinking totally make sense and likely the cause of the shattering.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts
MB
Is this personal experience? How much did it cost to replace the glass?
Old 05-24-2023, 04:32 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by wildta
Is this personal experience? How much did it cost to replace the glass?
I have seen few shattered and or hairline crack on different models at the shop and it was during the summer month.

My friend own a Tint/Audio shop and his brother owns a mechanic shop next door. They had to replace the moonroof/sunroof. I ended up replacing one on a customer Honda they all had aftermarket tint on there moonroof/sunroof. I don't know how much there are or how much they charge to replace it. I help out when needed around the shop in return I have full shop access when I needed to do my own work.

Last edited by amusa; 05-24-2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts
MB
I have seen few shattered and or hairline crack on different models at the shop and it was during the summer month.

My friend own a Tint/Audio shop and his brother owns a mechanic shop next door. They had to replace the moonroof/sunroof. I ended up replacing one on a customer Honda they all had aftermarket tint on there moonroof/sunroof. I don't know how much there are or how much they charge to replace it. I help out when needed around the shop in return I have full shop access when I needed to do my own work.
Thanks. Just thought I'd chime in again and say this might be anecdotal because after reading a bunch of car forums of various brands (here's what I googled), a lot of folks in hot climates consistently get their sunroofs and panoramic roofs tinted with ceramic heat rejecting tint and a very large majority do not have issues and have done it repeatedly. Don't take my word for it, I literally spent 45min sifting thru too many car forums using the Google search above and in the hundreds of responses I sifted thru (Tesla, Lucid, BMW, VW, Porsche, Toyota, Ford, Ram, VW, Audi, Volvo... Seriously I spent too much time reading thru everyone's responses) only one non-Tesla owner (can't remember the make) thought his tint caused his sunroof to shatter. There were a few Tesla owners with crack issues but none of them could discern whether it was tint or just defects with Tesla (I guess it's somewhat of an inherent issue with them). Anyway, just wanted to let others know to do your research and see what you come up with. I'm starting to feel like this isn't an issue and gets perpetuated forward... Maybe this happened back in the day when we had bad film and poor manufacturing and engineering, who knows? But I personally feel confident that if and when I get my panoramic roof tinted, it shouldn't be an issue.

​​​​

Last edited by wildta; 05-24-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Originally Posted by wildta
Thanks. Just thought I'd chime in again and say this might be anecdotal because after reading a bunch of car forums of various brands (here's what I googled), a lot of folks in hot climates consistently get their sunroofs and panoramic roofs tinted with ceramic heat rejecting tint and a very large majority do not have issues and have done it repeatedly. Don't take my word for it, I literally spent 45min sifting thru too many car forums using the Google search above and in the hundreds of responses I sifted thru (Tesla, Lucid, BMW, VW, Porsche, Toyota, Ford, Ram, VW, Audi, Volvo... Seriously I spent too much time reading thru everyone's responses) only one non-Tesla owner (can't remember the make) thought his tint caused his sunroof to shatter. There were a few Tesla owners with crack issues but none of them could discern whether it was tint or just defects with Tesla (I guess it's somewhat of an inherent issue with them). Anyway, just wanted to let others know to do your research and see what you come up with. I'm starting to feel like this isn't an issue and gets perpetuated forward... Maybe this happened back in the day when we had bad film and poor manufacturing and engineering, who knows? But I personally feel confident that if and when I get my panoramic roof tinted, it shouldn't be an issue.

​​​​
Thanks for chiming in.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064

I see, honestly if I had the choice I will just not option the sunroof altogether (as for me personally it is useless and it eats in headroom) It is also another place heat gets attracted in when it is closed, making a hot cabin potentially warmer.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:19 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I see, honestly if I had the choice I will just not option the sunroof altogether (as for me personally it is useless and it eats in headroom) It is also another place heat gets attracted in when it is closed, making a hot cabin potentially warmer.
I don't mind the sun/heat since I'm a native to one of the Islands in the Mediterranean Sea. I was wishing for Nissan Z to release one with T-Top or Targa Top and same for the new Toyota Supra it has to be manual trans.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you tint your privacy glass?