Roof rack, box, fairing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE 450e
Roof rack, box, fairing

need some advice.

Had my GLE for about a month and generally loving it so far - always a few nit picks but easily yhe best car I’ve ever owned.

Set out today on first real road trip - 100 miles / 13.5 hours today.

I have have the Mercedes crossbars and a thule box that I’ve used with my previous two SUVs (Acura RDX and Lexus NX).

I installed the crossbars exactly according to he instructions (which talk about M class and GLK but not GLE) so rear bar just ahead of the support foot on the side rail, and the front one 29.5” in front of it. That puts the front bar right where the rail starts to curve downwards.

When I first put the crossbars on there was so much noise that I bought an inno fairing and the noise almost disappeared completely.

For this trip I put the box on, loaded up and we headed out. Now that we are on the road the box is crazy noisy and the mileage has been impacted much more than I’m used to seeing (22.5 down to 16 - used to seeing maybe 2 mpg drop).

The instructions for the crossbars force me to have the front of the box above the windshield rake line which has to be part of the problem.

My questions:
1. Does anyone have a similar setup that isn’t as noisy/impactful. Wondering if fairing might actually make thing worse when box is on.
2. Does anyone have crossbars where the rear bar is installed BEHIND the support foot on the side rails? I can’t see this being a problem (although my dealer told me to follow the instructions) as weight would still be near the foot for support. This would allow me to move the box back a bit.
3. Where do people have the front bar attached. Moving it back a few inches (assuming I move the rear one too) should help aerodynamically but will move the weight back a bit from where the side rails hit he roof.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Hi Bdsemple

I'm a gl owner who went through the same process as you are.

I assume you are using the base carrier bars. The chunky ones that stick out and are quite loud on top of the car.
The base carrier bars have only a specific way to mount them. Which the rear one is in between the fairing as in the instructions. Just be sure to mount the them the right way round as there is a back and a front.

I hated the noise and the chunky non oem look on the car...and thankfully Mercedes for my x164 had two options for crossbar. The base carrier bars and oem chrome/black flush and oem stock looking crossbar that slotted perfectly in between the railings.
Put of way. Providing no noise and looked amazing.

Unfortunately Mercedes decided to no longer make these crossbar for any new were vehicles. Which sucks because they look and perform great!

The other option would be to dump the base carrier bars and check out whisperbar, they provide crossbars for premium vehicles that slot in between the side railings, would take care of the noise problem and I've seen them on other ml and gle in parking lots. (Yes I'm strange. I tend to notice crossbars and winter Tires when I park) and they look quite nice.

You're local rei will be able to order them and don't forget the rei 20% coupon!

Cheers
Hope it helps!

Originally Posted by bdsemple
need some advice.

Had my GLE for about a month and generally loving it so far - always a few nit picks but easily yhe best car I’ve ever owned.

Set out today on first real road trip - 100 miles / 13.5 hours today.

I have have the Mercedes crossbars and a thule box that I’ve used with my previous two SUVs (Acura RDX and Lexus NX).

I installed the crossbars exactly according to he instructions (which talk about M class and GLK but not GLE) so rear bar just ahead of the support foot on the side rail, and the front one 29.5” in front of it. That puts the front bar right where the rail starts to curve downwards.

When I first put the crossbars on there was so much noise that I bought an inno fairing and the noise almost disappeared completely.

For this trip I put the box on, loaded up and we headed out. Now that we are on the road the box is crazy noisy and the mileage has been impacted much more than I’m used to seeing (22.5 down to 16 - used to seeing maybe 2 mpg drop).

The instructions for the crossbars force me to have the front of the box above the windshield rake line which has to be part of the problem.

My questions:
1. Does anyone have a similar setup that isn’t as noisy/impactful. Wondering if fairing might actually make thing worse when box is on.
2. Does anyone have crossbars where the rear bar is installed BEHIND the support foot on the side rails? I can’t see this being a problem (although my dealer told me to follow the instructions) as weight would still be near the foot for support. This would allow me to move the box back a bit.
3. Where do people have the front bar attached. Moving it back a few inches (assuming I move the rear one too) should help aerodynamically but will move the weight back a bit from where the side rails hit he roof.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM

2024 GLE 450e
The MB basic carrier bars I have don't stick out on the sides, but they do sit up fairly high. For the return 1000 mile trip I moved the bars back 6-8", so that the rear bar is now immediately behind the support foot, and the front one is about 6" back from where the side rails bend downwards. I kept the fairing installed, although when its warmer I will do some testing with and without it installed.

The noise level dropped dramatically, and my mileage went up about 2 mpg from what I saw on the trip out, so I would have to call that a success.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Mine is the first picture in this link. Are you talking about something like it?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-pictures.html
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 PM

2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Mine is the first picture in this link. Are you talking about something like it?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-pictures.html
The box I have is different than that, but those are the same bars.

the instructions, which the dealer kept referring to, and telling me to stick to, are clear that the rear bar should be mounted just in front of the support foot (yours is behind) and the front bar 29.5" in front of the rear bar.

"On the M-Class and GLK the basic carrier bars must be placed in front of the middle support of the roof rail. On the GL-Class vehicles, place the basic carrier bar behind the middle foot of the roof rail".
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Just some FYI, I didnt follow any directions. I just mount mine as far back a possible and still get the hatch to open without the box hitting it. I have a little wind noise when on top of the car but nothing annoying.
Good luck