Coolant temp gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
Coolant temp gauge

Hi All

i am new to the forum and I just picked up my 2018 GLE ysterday. It's my first German car so I still need sometime to get familiar with it. Just one quick question to you all. How do I read the coolant gauge without the number? I don't know what temperature it is at. I noticed the needle is above the half way point if you read it from C to H but it is around the half way mark if you read it from when the red ends to C. Does that make sense? It was easier to read with my RX350 it always sat in the middle and I don't think it had the buffer room after H where it was red. Anyways hope to hear from someone soon. Thank!

i also noticed that the needle doesn't increase smoothly like the RX. It would drop a bit and then go up once it gets to the mid point between C and H the needl stays stable. Is this normal? I hate to think that a brand new car has n issue already.. sigh. Your help would much be appreciated!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... the Mercedes way

If this is your 1st Mercedes - please understand with Mercedes - and you don't want to get freaky over higher engine temperature display than you are used to - Mercedes does their own thing - the gauge is accurate and straight-level progressive gauge.

You are 100% normal running art higher temperature" - and if you go into 250F/Red-Zone - you will get a warning message from the cluster.

If you get Red Zone - again your car will also issue you a warning message from the cluster - Mercedes instructions are to pull off the road and shut down the engine.

If you happen to be running at 248F - just shy of Red Zone - which rarely happens - Mercedes way says you can run all at 249 All-Day/24-7
Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
Thank you fabbtisd1!!
appreciate it! This is my first Mercedes so this is all new to me. Japanese cars were a lot more straight forward and the needle increased pretty smoothly and gradually. Glad to know this is normal for GLEs

i also had a question about the storage space on top of the ashtray..I felt the heat coming out of it and cold air coming out when I switch to AC. Do you know if that is normal for the GLE? I made an appointment for this coming Wednesday for 6:30 am but if this is normal I rather not bring it to service.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
kept an eye for you. 360 mile trip to Vermont on Saturday. 360 mile return yesterday. '16 gle 350 4matic. stock tires. active lane.

ambient temp between 25 f and 45 f. interior between 66 f (no ac) and 72 f. 1 person, no trailer, no carrier, no cargo. tire pressure set at 33 psi standing at around 35 f pre trip. trans on Comfort.

temp gauge pinned at 2 and 1/2 ticks above 80 c.

hope it helps, ron