GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Upgrading Headlights for 2017 GLE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 RWD SUV (Premium 1, Parking Assist Package, H-K, I regret not getting Premium 2!)
Upgrading Headlights for 2017 GLE?

I have the standard headlights, not the LED headlamps, and to be quite honest, they are trash. Absolutely terrible. It really is a safety issue at this point. I want to change the bulbs to something that is brighter/lights up more of the road without having to replace the whole headlight assembly to the LED headlamps. Any bulb recommendations?

Last edited by lakshkalra; 03-13-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by lakshkalra
I have the standard headlights, not the LED headlamps, and to be quite honest, they are trash. Absolutely terrible. It really is a safety issue at this point. I want to change the bulbs to something that is brighter/lights up more of the rode without having to replace the whole headlight assembly to the LED headlamps. Any bulb recommendations?
You could do an HID conversion. We've put together a custom hybrid kit after working with the G/M line MB forum community here that will work easy error free.

H7 hybrid HID kit
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLE350, 2018 Audi S6 tuned Stage2
Does this kit have everything needed, bulbs wiring etc? Does it replace the low and high or just low beams. Any install instructions
Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Overclocked
Does this kit have everything needed, bulbs wiring etc? Does it replace the low and high or just low beams. Any install instructions
one person in the M W166 forums went from a Bi-xenon to a LED conversion, you can ask him how he did it, but it might a costly option
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by Overclocked

Sorry, missed your message. Yes, it has everything you need.... bulbs, ballast, wiring, bulb holder. One kit will take care of your lows... if you also want to do your highs, you'll need another kit. Not many upgrade high beams and due to warm up nature of HIDs, not really great for quick flashing people. Although if you live in rural area and use your high beams more for road illumination rather than signaling, HID high beams are pretty amazing. Installation is fairly simple. Bulb plugs socket, bulb wires into the ballast, ballast wiring plugs back into vehicle. Ground wire to protect against surges just find something metal to attach to. You'll need to cut a small hole in the dust cover to feed the wires out, but the wires included have a rubber grommet that seals that back up nicely.
The following users liked this post:
Overclocked (10-26-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html take a look here. Its 100% worth the time and effort to upgrade them. Block out the whole day just to be sure and start early although it shouldn't take that long. Make sure you have all the parts you need ahead of time. do one side at a time. it seems daunting but it's not once you understand it. the hardest part is getting the bulb to sit properly since you can't see what you're doing. i actually used a oven/grill glove to turn the bulb while it was on so I could see how it lined up- not suggested and risky but worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
Overclocked (10-27-2018)