GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Camper towing with my GLE 350

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Smile Camper towing with my GLE 350

A rarity in the world of camping where pickup trucks are the main vehicle of choice, here's an example of a Mercedes-Benz out in the wild towing a 5,000 pound dry weight camper. There's a weight distribution hitch on the A-frame that also adds sway control which should not be an option- it really adds a lot of control in addition to the GLE's ABS and sway control functions.

I chose the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 which has very useful diagnostics and has a more useful display (in my opinion) than traditional electronic brake controllers. This pairs up with a Tekonsha 3066-P wire harness that plugs into the factory Mercedes connector under the carpet behind the brake pedal. There is NO wiring of any kind to do with a factory installed trailer hitch making this a truly "plug-and-play"setup.

Aside from discovering a 2-pin connector in the right rear cargo compartment that was not connected from the factory, after plugging it in all brake indications and functionality was restored. NOTE: electronic brake controller testers and emulators do not function correctly with Mercedes-Benz vehicles--- even ones with "resistance loads" built into them like the Tekonsha Trailer Emulator does. My Tekonsha Trailer Emulator, as the RV dealer's tester did, just flashed half the test lights leaving it unclear whether the system is working correctly or not. Bottom line, I understand why the service manager made a tester himself to use on Mercedes-Benz vehicles to confirm proper wiring connections.

With electric trailer brakes working and properly set up, it was a dream to tow, and stop, our new Grey Wolf MK23 travel trailer!

Lastly, as an experiment, with 50% E85 and 50% premium, trip computer indication showed a 2-mpg drop towing versus not-towing. There was a 3-mpg drop on average with 100% premium versus 50-50. Acceleration to interstate speed and uphill towing showed no change in performance with either fuel combination. Stay tuned with more to follow on my E85 topic.

BTW, with standard suspension and the weight distribution hitch doing its job, both the GLE 350 and the travel trailer were positioned well and handled great. No reservations, regrets, or second guessing deciding to tow with my 2016 GLE 350!

Last edited by SUV John; 05-29-2019 at 03:15 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by SUV John:
dinakarj (10-31-2021), DMax10S (09-16-2020), gleclkJoe (06-26-2021), gxynew (02-17-2021), Imdakine1 (09-20-2020), JoelCrow (01-10-2022), Karisoo81 (01-28-2021), kickinit98 (07-12-2020), MaxCadillac (06-06-2020), Vince_23Bravo (08-24-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43

Agreed, the GLE SUV is a competent alternative to a Pick Up for towing (within weight limits). Trailer and track car ~5k. P3 brake controller is a great addition to get proper braking. Easily tows and handles the towing task at freeway speeds and over inclines.
17' GLE AMG 43 w/ Trailex
The following 2 users liked this post by Kein Ersatz:
phamq1979 (06-30-2021), SUV John (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kein Ersatz

Agreed, the GLE SUV is a competent alternative to a Pick Up for towing (within weight limits). Trailer and track car ~5k. P3 brake controller is a great addition to get proper braking. Easily tows and handles the towing task at freeway speeds and over inclines.
17' GLE AMG 43 w/ Trailex
That's awesome to see!

The problem I was running into was that even a local dealership didn't know about electric brake controllers with my service adviser telling me "that's the first time I've been asked that". I had to remind them that Mercedes put the brake controller connector there to actually use with their 7-pin trailer connector.
Now I'm trying to have them look into any updates in service bulletins or other information for current vehicles. The impression I'm getting is that Mercedes concern ends with the connector they wired into the vehicle and not what someone would do with it.
Due to the shape of the mirror housing, I have not found a good towing mirror to use. Several I've tried are not secure enough to try driving with, and the lip around the mirror isn't enough to clamp something on to. I may solely rely on the Furrion observation camera system for blind-spot monitoring.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am grateful for both posts - the Mercedes GLE and GLS make AWESOME tow vehicles - and frankly what impresses my customers - in addition to the "smooth pull" is the fantastic highway handling.

The factory installed hitch is solidly frame mounted - and yes - the factory hitch not only has the hard-wire brake controller connector - but when "hooked up" the Mercedes ETS and ESP system gets modified to account for the trailer - which makes a huge improvement in tipping/handling - changes cross-wind assistance compensation accounting for the trailer - and configures ETS/ESP to prevent highway-speed-see-saw.

The GLE/GLS (and new gen Sprinter) factory tow hitch system is engineered to add these Plus's - here in the US due to added liability concerns the factory hitch features are not communicated or marketed like hardly zero/at-all.

I have factory trailer hitch added to our inventory orders - if for no other reason the factory hitch system - based on what it does - is awesome value - and that fact that even if a owner doesn't tow - in the event of a rear end collision (like at a stop light - and you get "rammed" from the rear) once that rear speedster reaches the frame mounted hitch - the major energy of that collision gets transferred thru the hitch to the full frame and full weight of the GLE/GLS - exponentially reducing that rear collision energy that would otherwise get transmitted thru the body to the cabin..
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (06-13-2021)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Even the camper dealership was impressed with how the well trailer and GLE 350 leveled out.
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I am grateful for both posts - the Mercedes GLE and GLS make AWESOME tow vehicles - and frankly what impresses my customers - in addition to the "smooth pull" is the fantastic highway handling.

The factory installed hitch is solidly frame mounted - and yes - the factory hitch not only has the hard-wire brake controller connector - but when "hooked up" the Mercedes ETS and ESP system gets modified to account for the trailer - which makes a huge improvement in tipping/handling - changes cross-wind assistance compensation accounting for the trailer - and configures ETS/ESP to prevent highway-speed-see-saw.

The GLE/GLS (and new gen Sprinter) factory tow hitch system is engineered to add these Plus's - here in the US due to added liability concerns the factory hitch features are not communicated or marketed like hardly zero/at-all.

I have factory trailer hitch added to our inventory orders - if for no other reason the factory hitch system - based on what it does - is awesome value - and that fact that even if a owner doesn't tow - in the event of a rear end collision (like at a stop light - and you get "rammed" from the rear) once that rear speedster reaches the frame mounted hitch - the major energy of that collision gets transferred thru the hitch to the full frame and full weight of the GLE/GLS - exponentially reducing that rear collision energy that would otherwise get transmitted thru the body to the cabin..
Very true, and I would add that a physical weight distribution hitch should be considered mandatory and not optional even with the $500+ range they can go. That mechanical sway control and reduction in hitch weight also helps balance the weight on the axles putting some it back on the trailer and some back on the front axle of the tow vehicle which is important for handling. There are several good videos online that highlight this fact. A stiff crosswind still is gets your attention to keep focused on hauling a lot of weight.

With the weight distribution hitch I'm carrying 200# basic tongue weight (instead of 600#), plus some for forward cargo in the camper and the GLE, at a near level pitch and that's without air suspension.

Last edited by SUV John; 06-06-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM

'17 AMG GLE 43
Here is a DIY on installing the P3: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...oller-fyi.html

The Trailex trailer mfg. specifically warns against a distribution hitch on my enclosed model otherwise I'd use one. Usually load/shoot for #400 on hitch, with AMG settings set to Sport+ on shocks it tows fine. In Comfort mode a little "porpoise"ing can occur, so always tow in Sport+ setting (suspension only). Easy hauling at highway speeds with no drama.

For car hauling, best to get a hitch height that keeps the car trailer flat/level, to evenly load all four trailer tires. I set rear GLE tires to Max GWV pressures when towing.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kein Ersatz
Here is a DIY on installing the P3: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...oller-fyi.html

The Trailex trailer mfg. specifically warns against a distribution hitch on my enclosed model otherwise I'd use one. Usually load/shoot for #400 on hitch, with AMG settings set to Sport+ on shocks it tows fine. In Comfort mode a little "porpoise"ing can occur, so always tow in Sport+ setting (suspension only). Easy hauling at highway speeds with no drama.

For car hauling, best to get a hitch height that keeps the car trailer flat/level, to evenly load all four trailer tires. I set rear GLE tires to Max GWV pressures when towing.

Trailex trailers do sound impressive!

I looked into Trailex trailers and, while expensive, they look very well built and there is no question that they are light.

Curious about the use of weight distribution hitches on their trailers--- I asked them. Customer service already replied that these hitches are not used for several reasons: "the tongue is very short it can't take a bolt on unit", "it is so light 2100 pounds" so there is "no need for one". They said people are towing their trailers with vehicles such as the Porsche Cayenne and the X5 with no complaints. That's quite a testimonial for their trailers and I'll certainly have to keep them in mind should I ever look to tow something beyond a travel trailer.

Without Airmatic suspension, which I see far too many complaints on, Airmatic is good at leveling the vehicle, but not spreading the weight out to the front axle and to the trailer being towed, which is more critical when towing higher weights such as our 5,000 pound Grey Wolf. Many pickup truck owners use aftermarket airbags to supplement the suspension and I'm not sure if that's an option for me not having the Airmatic option. As such, I can't make use of my sport mode for towing since it only affects the transmission and steering.

For anyone towing beyond lightweight trailers like Trailex makes, the weight distribution hitch is amazing for reducing the tongue weight by two-thirds and also adding a mechanical sway control.

I found an impressive video on how a weight distribution hitch performs and it explains a lot for how weight is distributed between axles:

Last edited by SUV John; 06-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.
mikapen (06-13-2021)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,819 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Another possible reason for Trailex not recommending WD hitches is the lightweight camper frame can’t take the stress of the WD mechanism. ie at the spring bar attachment point to the camper frame.
mikapen (05-08-2021)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
Another possible reason for Trailex not recommending WD hitches is the lightweight camper frame can’t take the stress of the WD mechanism. ie at the spring bar attachment point to the camper frame.
That might be too especially if the "A-frame" is aluminum, but to quote the customer service representative, "the tongue is very short it can't take a bolt on unit." At 2100 pounds for at least one trailer they sited, they offer very light trailers.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)

How about a boat '12 ML63
The following 3 users liked this post by mrmotoguzzi00:
chassis (07-06-2019), Penn (09-13-2019), phamq1979 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00

How about a boat '12 ML63
Very nice, both the boat And the Mercedes tow vehicle!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Id like to think the stiffer suspension and huge brakes helped with towing... motor of course had no issue pulling the nearly 7k lb boat/trailer combo... the brakes definitely shed more dust when i towed.... 75mph was no issue... no sway that i could see or feel..
Old 06-17-2019, 09:40 AM

'17 AMG GLE 43
The lines on the GLE and the Hurricane seem to be made for each other :thumbsup:

The Trailex (enclosed) is 1600# empty and is all Alum (including the frame rails). I have only heard good things from those who invest in WD hitches.

To all GLE owners, enjoy the miles and smiles towing in comfort (within the weight limits) in your GLE, a great triple purpose vehicle.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Towing update:
Not being able to find good towing mirrors that really wanted to stay in place, we opted to buy a Furrion observation camera. It is a basically a plug-and-play rearview mirrror using a Forrest River factory wired harness. Power is picked up from the running light circuit and effectively adds the current draw of another running light.
This is where the problem begins. It seems there were some connection issues to clean up on the camper, but even with that fixed the camera system will work from the 12-volt outlets, a Chevy pickup truck, but not from my GLE 350. Turns out all the pins in the 7-pin connector are computer controlled and, as I was able to fill the dealership in on, is not supplying full battery voltage to the connector. The dealership has made it crystal clear they are unfamiliar with the trailer hitch wiring and soon will consult with reps and in their mind Germany on how to get a Mercedes to play nice with what gets plugged into a wiring connector.
Ruling out the equipment and trailer, it doesn't help that Mercedes doesn't make an appropriate tester evidently due to the technology they use.
It's hard to believe there are no technical bulletins to help solve the problem while a Chevy truck just works without issues... as my local multi-year dealer-of-the-year needs to hunt for the answer.
DMax10S (09-16-2020)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,819 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
John, is it an option to power the camera from the 12V outlet inside the vehicle at the rear?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
John, is it an option to power the camera from the 12V outlet inside the vehicle at the rear?
No, only the monitor which plugs into the 12-volt outlet. The camera is plugging into a pre-wired Furrion housing. The housing in this case was factory installed by the Forrest River and taps into the running lights, which is why they also need to be on for operation beyond adding visibility to the trailer. An update is that MB makes the 7-pin connector computer controlled. Now I'm in the middle on how to solve the situation for voltage/current limitations. It seems the computer can't properly handle a camper charging system which likely varies the voltage and current demands while driving to charge the camper battery and also the added camera (in this case) which may vary current demand depending on whether the IR LED lights are operating for night vision or during regular operation.
Next week I drop off the car with camper while the test and guess what to do. Again, MB is almost oblivious that people may actually tow anything beyond a utility trailer with their MB vehicle.
DMax10S (09-16-2020)
Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
'20 GLE 450, Silverado 3500
GLE John,
Wwould you mind throwing up a picture of your weight distribution hitch, please? I have one on my pickup and wanted to see how the two compared. The pickup as a 2 1/2 inch hitch (class V) so I can not use the same equipment.
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
GLE John,
Wwould you mind throwing up a picture of your weight distribution hitch, please? I have one on my pickup and wanted to see how the two compared. The pickup as a 2 1/2 inch hitch (class V) so I can not use the same equipment.
Thank you in advance.
The receiver size should be the same, as far as I understand it, so the weight distribution "hitch head" should go from one receiver to the next. Your class V hitch is the same as on the GLE so it should work. The load bar "L"- brackets mount to the trailer though, so to use the hitch on multiple trailers an ideal plan would be to have additional brackets for the other trailer.

Our camper starts out at a 600 pound tongue weight and 5006 pounds delivered weight. The weight distribution hitch cuts that down to 200 pounds, but I still plan to go to truck scales one day and weigh out the entire rig for the specific numbers. I'll have some closeup pictures in the near future, but on this post are the ones of the weight distribution hitch package my camper store installed and the hitch mounted on my GLE 350. The silver tabs seen in the GLE photo release the weight distribution bars on this model.
MaxCadillac (06-06-2020)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 PM

GLE John,

Thank you, that is great info. I do think the receiver on the GLE is 2" x 2" where as my truck is 2.5" x 2.5". I may be able to get a new 2" x 2" shank and remount my hitch on that. That way I do not need to change anything on the Travel Trailer but I will have to switch the shank anytime I tow with a different vehicle. OR!!!! I could remount the hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and just use a 2.5" x 2.5" to 2" x 2" adapter when I use my truck. I still need the truck for our 5th wheel but a GLE would be nicer for trips with the TT, the short ones anyway.

I still have to get a GLE, looking at the 450 but with all the delays, it will not be anytime soon.

Thank you again for the pics/info.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 PM

GLE John,

Thank you, that is great info. I do think the receiver on the GLE is 2" x 2" where as my truck is 2.5" x 2.5". I may be able to get a new 2" x 2" shank and remount my hitch on that. That way I do not need to change anything on the Travel Trailer but I will have to switch the shank anytime I tow with a different vehicle. OR!!!! I could remount the hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and just use a 2.5" x 2.5" to 2" x 2" adapter when I use my truck. I still need the truck for our 5th wheel but a GLE would be nicer for trips with the TT, the short ones anyway.

I still have to get a GLE, looking at the 450 but with all the delays, it will not be anytime soon.

Thank you again for the pics/info.
I know you could get adapters locally, but Amazon has a 2.5 to 2 inch adapter for $22.95. I don't know if the 2 inch models are more popular for weight distribution hitches, but if it were that would be the route I'd go unless you're taking advantage of the weight carrying capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Hitch-Adapter-RH-252C https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Hitch-Adapter-RH-252C

Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM

I have the adapter already, I would just need to buy a new shank for the WD hitch.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:23 PM

I have the adapter already, I would just need to buy a new shank for the WD hitch.
The vertical brackets that attach to a trailer A-frame is what I figured would be needed to use the WD hitch head with a 2nd trailer without having to transfer parts around. I'm thinking they are available separately, but haven't checked into it yet. Otherwise, I haven't heard what anyone does when towing more than one trailer that needs to really have the WD hitch to tow safely.
Aren't these parts all that would be necessary to use the same WD hitch with another trailer?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 PM

I would think that is right. As long as they are all the same model that would work. Do you have two trailers to tow?

I am towing the same trailer with different vehicles. One vehicle has a 2.5" x 2.5" hitch receiver (my 3500 dually Duramax) and the GLE (if I get one) with 2" x 2" hitch receiver. The shank on which the WD hitch is mounted is the thing that needs to change. So if I mount my WD hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and use the adapter for my truck's receiver, I should be fine.

This is the type of WD hitch I have:

Reese WD hitch

The shank I have is different but similar. It is 2.5" x 2.5" to fit the class V hitch receiver on my truck. The GLE has a 2" x 2" hitch receiver (I assume, class III). I can just remount this hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and I am good to go.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:56 AM

I would think that is right. As long as they are all the same model that would work. Do you have two trailers to tow?

I am towing the same trailer with different vehicles. One vehicle has a 2.5" x 2.5" hitch receiver (my 3500 dually Duramax) and the GLE (if I get one) with 2" x 2" hitch receiver. The shank on which the WD hitch is mounted is the thing that needs to change. So if I mount my WD hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and use the adapter for my truck's receiver, I should be fine.

This is the type of WD hitch I have:

Reese WD hitch

The shank I have is different but similar. It is 2.5" x 2.5" to fit the class V hitch receiver on my truck. The GLE has a 2" x 2" hitch receiver (I assume, class III). I can just remount this hitch on a 2" x 2" shank and I am good to go.
It's clear now, thanks for the info. I'm liking the E2 and would go with the square bar model that's beefed up should we upgrade down the road. They seem less involved than the chain models and backing up is a breeze too with the bar style.
I'm not sure if we're headed towards a 5th wheel someday since our Grey Wolf is our first and only trailer and it is more than enough for now. We've seen a lot of full-time RVers and it looks amazing to tow a small house behind you!
The GLE350 4matic is an impressive tow vehicle and as I've said before it tows our 5000+ pound camper easily. The only issue we're still dealing with is the fact the vehicle computer controls the trailer hitch connector and the Furrion Observation camera system will not directly work off the factory trailer wiring from the running light circuit. That will ultimately get it's own 12-volt switched source to work.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 350d 4MATIC (W166)
Tripped over this thread today. Not sure if any of you are still on this site but thank you for all your comments.

I'm about to trade my 2015 ML350 4MATIC diesel for at 2016 GLE 350d 4MATIC diesel. I bought my ML new. Love... but knowing 2016 is the last MB diesel in the foreseeable future, I'm making a move strictly fo the motor. I've put on 100kms in four years, the 2016 GLE has 44k kms... with warranty. I digress.

From what I can see above, and in another forum (RV.NET) the diesel Benz is a pretty impressive tow vehicle.

Seeking your input... After all my web-searching and dealer visits I'm looking at a 2020 Coachmen Ultra-Lite 245BHS travel trailer for my family of four (wife, and 9yo & 11yo kids). We're not into toys... just good ole camping, hanging out by the fire, swimming, biking, day hikes in the area, and smores & a nice drink to cap off the evening. What I like a lot about the Coachmen is the Azdel construction.

We live in Calgary, AB, happy to stay east of the Rockies for a few years as we explore the prairies, the foothills and Kananaskis & Banff (Bow Valley).

Hitch Weight: 578 lbs
GVWR: 6500 lbs
Dry Weight: 4586 lbsExterior Length: 27' 6"

Thoughts?
27' 6
Secondly...

Originally Posted by GLE John

The receiver size should be the same, as far as I understand it, so the weight distribution "hitch head" should go from one receiver to the next. Your class V hitch is the same as on the GLE so it should work. The load bar "L"- brackets mount to the trailer though, so to use the hitch on multiple trailers an ideal plan would be to have additional brackets for the other trailer.

Our camper starts out at a 600-pound tongue weight and 5006 pounds delivered weight. The weight distribution hitch cuts that down to 200 pounds, but I still plan to go to truck scales one day and weigh out the entire rig for the specific numbers. I'll have some closeup pictures in the near future, but on this post are the ones of the weight distribution hitch package my camper store installed and the hitch mounted on my GLE 350. The silver tabs seen in the GLE photo release the weight distribution bars on this model.
GLE John, I appreciated the pictures above a lot, as well as this bit on your WDH. Looks like a quality Weight Distribution Hitch is a good investment... any additional comments about your whole rig?

Thank you, all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Camper towing with my GLE 350