Sponsored By:

Has anyone replaced rear bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE350
Has anyone replaced rear bumper cover?

I am trying to install a trailer hitch on my GLE350 and it is looking like the only way to do it is going to be removing the rear bumper cover. I'm wondering how big a job it is and how flush the joints line up once you pop the tabs to pull it off. I have replaced a few headlights on our cars and when you reinstall the front bumper, the locking tabs never seem to quite hold the joints as tight as when they were new.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,846 Likes on 3,032 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
This is a somewhat common retrofit on various vehicles, for example the BMW X3. The bumper cover is a collision part, so it is designed to be replaced. For best fit, purchase all of the necessary fasteners and clips before starting the job. Many body fasteners and clips are either single use or are best considered single use. This is because of the snap fit and close tolerance nature of how body panels fit. Not at all like a threaded fastener. Many body fasteners break or are deformed when removed, especially when removed without using the proper tool or technique.

It's helpful to think about how the dealer would do it. That question has an answer and it depends on having the right parts, tools and procedures. It can be done DIY.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE350
Thanks for the tips. It actually went easier than I thought it would. I followed the instructions on the Stealth hitch website for the installation of their hitch and it was a pretty simple job. The Mercedes parts are made so much better than my Honda's that it all snapped together perfectly and looks great.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,846 Likes on 3,032 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Congrats, glad it worked out.