GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AMG Pkg front chrome lip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
AMG Pkg front chrome lip

So...picked up a 2016 GLE 400. Fully optioned, under factory warranty (got the extended warranty thanks to this forum...saved me $$$$ Thanks!). "She Who Must Be Obeyed" doesn't like the chipped front lip spoiler pictured below. So...as part of the deal, I got a new center and side pieces and have started to replace them. However, it isn't intuitive. It may be that the best way is pull the entire front bumper off and do this from behind but before i do that (or more likely have the shop do it) I thought I'd ask for input (I'm getting older, now I at least occasionally ask before breaking stuff). Looks like two press retaining clips roughly 8" in on both edges of the front center piece which weren't a big deal to get to. Everything else looks like press clips that can be lifted with a nylon wedge tool. Also looks like there should have been another center panel underneath the car (may have been a casualty of whatever damaged the chrome lip but not sure. Has anyone pulled this apart or have any insight?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
looks great
Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Well, that was interesting. Project completed. Passing along information, since I won't be the last one doing this.

There are two plastic push pins holding the center chome section in place. You can pretty easily reach the pins through the front grille opening. Use a wedge, or small pry or screwdriver, pop the center pin in the round plastic piece up, then wiggle the whole plastic piece out. The remaining chrome center is only held in place with press fit clips and a tiny bit of wedging on the edges with a plastic panel pry will allow it to pull straight off. The side wings are a bit more of a challenge. You won't see it, but behind the bumper is another plastic push pin holding the side wing to the front bumper. The pin is toward the center edge of the wing behind the fascia. It is intentionally and fiendishly placed such that it appears accessible, when it largely isn't. I raised the driver's front wheel slightly with a floor jack, used a long flat blade screwdriver to lift the center pin, and then long curved needle nose pliers to lift it out. Once it was out, the wing also wedged off from its little clips fairly easily. Picture below shows that three back mounting holes had been broken off, but that didn't seem to affect how firmly it mounted in its seat, for what its worth.

Reassembly was the reverse...and fairly satisfying. Put it in place and lightly thump it with a palm and it pops into place. As of now, I haven't been able to get the securing pin for the wing back in, but the side wing wedges behind the center section and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Not sure I'll go to the trouble unless I happen to be around there for something else.

Last edited by JediJD; 09-22-2019 at 10:12 AM.